too little food? too much? how can you tell? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

too little food? too much? how can you tell?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lessismore-

lessismore-

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:04 AM

Basically, I haven't been eating properly for a while, so my idea of a 'lot' and a 'normal' amount of food has been distorted. Add in the fact that I currently have close to no appetite, and i have no concept of whether this is a lot of food/ too little/too much. 

Today I ate:

Soft pretzel, about the size of a side plate, around 100g
slice of cheese
serving of pickled tomatoes

coffee - with milk, no sugar (around 150ml full cream milk)

coffee #2

cup cooked rice
piece of leftover fried fish - 1/2 the size of a credit card
1 serve vegetables - capsicum, onion, zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms, cooked with spices, and 1 tablespoon oil (for the entire dish of 3-3.5 servings)

I'm about 5'3, currently 128lbs, and work out a couple of hours a week (mostly cardio, because strength training is boring - sorry!). Sorry if this is a stupid question, but after eating this throughout the day I feel so full that I can't imagine eating anything else, but I've had family/friends start to question my eating habits, and I feel like they're overreacting?? but I'm also eating disordered so I could be wrong lol

So, is this amount ok, or should I be eating more/less, given that I still want to lose weight?

#2 morningbird

morningbird

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1091 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in space

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:16 AM

i wouldn’t like to recommend calorie counting but that’s how i’ve been keeping track of my intake/knowing how much i eat for years. it’s maybe easier to tell by calories than by just hearing what someone has eaten. or maybe take pics of your meals and have a look at them in the evening.

163cm / 5'4

HW: 52kg / 115lbs

LW: 37kg / 82lbs

CW: 37.0 kg / 81.6 lbs BMI: 14.2 (new formula)

GW: 40kg / 88lbs

GW2: 35kg / 77lbs

UGW: does not exist

#3 Anasfriends

Anasfriends

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:28 AM

Ever since I had to move back to my moms because of Covid I have noticed and putting food on small plates with the idea to get more if I need to but I never do. I am also keeping out of the kitchen in between meals so I don’t snack. Unfortunately she doesn’t have a scale that’s reliable so I have to go back to my house to get on the scale.
R=results
E=envious
D=devious
S=self
C=control
RED S.C.
I pronounce it Red C
This is how I feel about Ana.

#4 colderbodies

colderbodies

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationA daydream

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:29 AM

i wouldn’t like to recommend calorie counting but that’s how i’ve been keeping track of my intake/knowing how much i eat for years. it’s maybe easier to tell by calories than by just hearing what someone has eaten. or maybe take pics of your meals and have a look at them in the evening.

I agree, calorie counting can become unhealthy if you don't watch yourself (especially if you continuously try to lower your intake), but it really is the only way to know if you're eating at a caloric deficit to lose weight. 

Overall I would say you're at a good amount of food (by no means too much or even enough, but not too little). You've also got a good assortment of carbs, fats, and proteins. 

• morningbird likes this

71a63ae41228296d4abb6421b59938fa.gif

tumblr_ltj4jmVh391ql1l0v.gif  5'2 || CW: 101 || GW1: 100|| GW2: 95 || HW: 132 || 18  tumblr_ltj4jmVh391ql1l0v.gif

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

- George Orwell

#5 Imouto

Imouto

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 November 2020 - 08:58 AM

I drove myself nuts for years trying to guess how many calories were in home cooked meals, and would always overestimate to be extra sure. Sometimes my head just adds it up for me anyways, but I don't actively calorie count anymore.

But I also have days when I thought I had clearly binged, and then when I had a sip of alcohol, I could feel it too much. My tolerance for alcohol goes way, WAY down when I don't eat enough and it tanks my metabolism. Then my scale shows I lost several pounds, then I get even more confused.

lol I guess this isn't much help.

I used to be able to find a happy balance between weighing myself every morning to judge how much I'd eaten, which I had down to a science- and eating only when I was hungry... and then even less lol

Is it terrible to say, if you are dizzy and shaking and cold, you've not eaten enough? But bloating can be from salt content, so sometimes feeling fat is really not a good indicator...

*uselessly tries to answer*

XD

welp xoxo anyways

• aneles iso and Not vibing bro like this

#6 Outlier

Outlier

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 30 November 2020 - 11:34 AM

That seems like a moderate weight loss amount. Not enough to maintain but not drastically losing either. Like others said, counting calories helps. I can't trust my body to tell me if I've had too little or too much, the only thing I do know is that if my body aches, I'm really cold, and I cant fall asleep, I definitely didnt eat enough. But thats an extreme.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users