Laxative advice (no thanks to iron supplements) - Other recognized eating disorders - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Laxative advice (no thanks to iron supplements)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 LeftHandScissors

LeftHandScissors

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationAn American somewhere in Europe

Posted 10 December 2020 - 08:07 PM

So I’ve finally found an iron supplement that doesn’t make me want to curl up into a ball and die and/or vomit my brains out. I’ve been anemic for literal decades but have never been able to handle iron supplements. However at a recent checkup I was told that I needed raise my iron levels ASAP or have an iron transfusion (or possibly a blood transfusion because my hemoglobin is dangerously low).
Obviously I want to avoid this and tried every “easy on the stomach” iron supplement available and have finally found one. That being said, I’m now suffering from the side effects of taking a fuck ton on iron daily. I legitimately need a laxative of some sort to get things moving again but all of the old favourites aren’t doing the trick. I’ve drank gallons of water, had copious amounts of coffee/espresso, and have used senna. And yet, nada.
I’d prefer to avoid the dulcolax route, however if it’s necessary, it’s necessary. I’m still taking senna but it’s doing nothing. So... suggestions? Help? Please??!?

#2 local-loser

local-loser

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • Locationhell (aka fl lmaoooooo)

Posted 11 December 2020 - 01:41 AM

I don't have lax recommendations but I do have iron supplement recommendations. I don't know if this type of iron might help the constipation. It is botanical based , here is a link to Amazon. I have also had issues with iron supplements but this worked a bit better.

​trans guy,1+ yr on T

hw: 158|cw:133.6|gw3:<130|ht:5'6

my tumblr blog accountability

#3 -Callie-

-Callie-

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 11 December 2020 - 10:40 PM

Shit, mate, that sounds really rough. I've got a few recs, but obviously the best thing is not needing any lax at all. I'd def suggest talking with a health care provider about this.

Anywho, for "more natural" lax recs I'd suggest taking a dose of magnesium (large though still within the recommendation for your weight before going to bed, as well as a dose of vit c. In the mourning drink some strong coffee, and if your smoke cigs, now's the time (but otherwise DON'T).

I've also heard castor oil being recommended, but I dunno anything about it really.

Hope it gets better, dear, and for goodness' sake - keep taking your iron supplement!! (Speaking from a perspective of someone who's taking 3g (yes, whole grammes) of potassium a day). You've gotta keep that heart healthy before all else.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users