How would you describe ARFID? - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How would you describe ARFID?

13 replies to this topic

#1 oinkoink

oinkoink

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:35 PM

I can never come up with the right words to accurately explain my experience with ARFID. Any way I describe it I feel like I sound like a child, so I decide not to bring it up. I guess I’m just ashamed in a way that food bothers me so much, and the people around me have convinced me that it’s a selfish and childish thing to feel. The internet doesn’t seem to have much information on ARFID in adults either. Have you ever come out to someone about having the disorder? How did you describe it?

Ps I haven’t been on this forum in years and I’m glad to be back because I haven’t had anybody in my life who understands or even validates my feelings and I have always been able to find that here.
  • lizthelezz and stkitty like this

#2 stkitty

stkitty

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2523 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 03:48 PM

Like... maybe extreme disgust I can't control? It's just a food "aversion," I haven't even tried certain foods and they're just Off Limits.

I get particular about ingredients, mixes... sauces and brands lol.

• Chocolate Hot Cross Bun and sapphona like this

#3 oinkoink

oinkoink

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 December 2020 - 10:10 PM

Like... maybe extreme disgust I can't control? It's just a food "aversion," I haven't even tried certain foods and they're just Off Limits.

I get particular about ingredients, mixes... sauces and brands lol.

#4 Soulina

Soulina

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:17 AM

I try to explain it that the food feels and tastest like it´s not food or that it has gone bad and my body rejects it. Like if someone would try to eat dishsoap or someting clearly rotten they would gag and vomit too and rather starve, my brain just has put foods that are okay normally to eat in to the category of non-food and not-safe-to-eat. So it is as much about being picky as them not eating moldy food or mud is picky.

• philophobia, squishkat, 85lb and 6 others like this

-

We're gonna do it, going so high
We'll play all night, put away your exhaustion
I love it, love it, love it, love it, love it too
I showed myself to you so show yourself to me too
I want you to hug me
What do I do about this?
I caught attention seeking illness because of you
I don't know why I'm being like this
Why do I wanna do bad things?

-

NCT127 - Baby Don´t Like it

My stats:

Spoiler

My Threads:

Soulina´s thinspo dump (male K-pop idols)

Soulina´s rant thread  (random whining)

Soulina´s accountability (with NCT memes)

cd4170b82da77076799dba9db01c3408.gif

#5 85lb

85lb

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:54 PM

i just say very picky eating. that's the only way i can describe it for people to genuinely understand. if they ever ask why i don't want to eat a certain food, i compare it to something they'd never want to eat, say veal or caviar, and use that feeling they experience to describe how i feel about most foods. that's as far as i'm ever willing to go to get in trying to get people to understand.

if i were to actually describe my experience and what i dont like, i'd say i'm most put off by combinations of foods, or foods that just have a lot going on. take soup, which is something i don't think i'll ever try: there's a bunch of stuff (meat, herbs, etc.) thrown together into a liquid. i'd never know what i would be biting into, which scares me. it look me my entire life to try honey mustard sauce dawgggg don't put soup in front of me.

smells get me a lot too, but it's on a spectrum from shit that smells good that i want to eat to shit that smells good that i don't want to eat to shit that smells bad that i don't want to eat.

sometimes i just fuck around and tell people my only meat intake is chicken tenders, though

• adiosAuxiliator and sa.l.t like this

▸ 🎕 ┈┈ 🎕 ┈┈ 🎕 ◂

accountability

▸ 🎕 ┈┈ 🎕 ┈┈ 🎕 ◂

#6 birdhi

birdhi

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:46 PM

I understand where you're coming from, I think a lot of people disregard or minimize the struggles of ARFID - categorizing the disorder as "picky eating" or fussiness. Personally, I approach each situation individually. Generally I'd say that due to ARFID, I am highly selective with my intake. This selectivity is the result of textural sensory issues, aversions to a wide range of tastes/flavors, lack of desire to try new foods/abnormal foods, and at some points a sheer inability to eat food I dislike due to a visceral response to strong flavors.

I feel like the aforementioned explanation is succinct enough to quickly and adequately explain my disorder while highlighting the complexity of the illness.

You aren't alone <3

• oinkoink likes this

#7 Dollie Bones

Dollie Bones

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2751 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 08:51 AM

I describe it as a sensory issue, which most people understand to some extent, thanks to autism being more prevalent.
  • oinkoink likes this

#8 Guest_wannasaurusrexia_*

Guest_wannasaurusrexia_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2021 - 08:07 AM

Arfid is sensory related. Technically extreme picky eating. Having nutrient deficiencies is a big thing with this disorder. There are few safe foods these people have and an extreme number of fear food. I have been suffering from this since I was 18 months old. I got very sick and was vomiting and developed a food aversion to almost all food except carbs, cheese, and yogurt. I am now 21 and seeking out therapy because I truly believe that a lot of my issues would be solved if I could eat nutritious and healthy foods.

#9 uponanaswings

uponanaswings

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6056 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:00 AM

Everything is yuckie except a few safe foods. The yuckie things change, but some things always yuckie especially slimy things. Don't like foods touching. Some foods have to eat by themselves.
  • adiosAuxiliator likes this
Why?
47.6 to lose

#10 uponanaswings

uponanaswings

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6056 posts

Posted 09 September 2021 - 07:00 AM

Also hate throwing up.
Why?
47.6 to lose

#11 Anagreenteadiet

Anagreenteadiet

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationLytham St Anne's

Posted 03 October 2021 - 10:22 AM

I can never come up with the right words to accurately explain my experience with ARFID. Any way I describe it I feel like I sound like a child, so I decide not to bring it up. I guess I’m just ashamed in a way that food bothers me so much, and the people around me have convinced me that it’s a selfish and childish thing to feel. The internet doesn’t seem to have much information on ARFID in adults either. Have you ever come out to someone about having the disorder? How did you describe it?
Ps I haven’t been on this forum in years and I’m glad to be back because I haven’t had anybody in my life who understands or even validates my feelings and I have always been able to find that here.

I've never heard of this until now

#12 pixiedrm

pixiedrm

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 October 2021 - 09:28 PM

i fear any food that i dont know. i am convinced its bad or will make me ill. i describe my diet as juvenile or that of a child. i eat very basic and plain foods. trying to eat "bad" foods makes me physically ill. the thought of eating some of my fear foods just makes me feel nauseous. my diet restricts and restricts as time goes on. its hell. you cant eat out, you cat eat meals cooked for you. its like being a toddler again. ive been doing my research and i think it may be related to ASD, as i reach most other symptoms of that particular atypical-ness.  

#13 ARFIDana

ARFIDana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 07:08 PM

Food neophobia, mostly, with some sensory issues. Once I explain that it's legitimately at phobia levels, and that I know how irrational it is. That usually works for anyone who understands that phobias are serious and complex.
  • sa.l.t likes this

#14 engorgedfairy

engorgedfairy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6749 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 12 October 2021 - 11:17 PM

When I tell someone I have (undiagnosed) ARFID, I tell them that visiting someones house for dinner, they might as well be serving mouldy food. even if the food is perfectly reasonable for what it is.

Starting weight: 113 (hospital weight)

Current weight: 65kg (Nov 2018)

Goal weight: 50kg (2022)

pm

100 | 85 | 75 | 59 | 54 | 49 | 44 | 35 | 30

vegetarian, wannabe fruitarian,
GAD, early psychosis, weed

BPD, AN-BP, PCOS

<p>My collection of thinspo

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users