I'm worried my partner has this. - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

I'm worried my partner has this.

3 replies to this topic

#1 phoenixthelost

phoenixthelost

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 December 2020 - 03:48 AM

My partner is a picky eater, but I'm worried he may have ARFID. He pretty much eats the same things all the time and hardly any fruits or vegetables. He's had experiences with food where he got sick, so I'm thinking that may have had something to do with it. Mentally, he seems okay. I know he doesn't have body issues. I'm just worried about him because of his diet, which is really unhealthy.
  • stkitty likes this
☆We fall in love with the unattainable.☆

#2 Delphic

Delphic

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 December 2020 - 03:59 AM

ARFID sounds about right; depending on the severity of the traumatic food-related experiences it could even be PTSD, though that's a bit extreme. I know other anorexics who have become anorexics via ARFID.

Not trying to alarm you, but the only person I've known who succumbed to their disorder young was my friend Ally who would only eat ice chips and rock candy. She had an extemely abusive mother who would starve her and all she could get her hands on were bits of ice from the window and rock candy that would last in a jar for months when she was a kid. Even after getting out she never got better. Food touching her mouth triggered those feelings of distress and terror, and in the end she was tubed and dripped until eventually she refused to go back to hospital and let it take her.

Therapy would be the best option IMO, but even just a little convosation here and there would likely help.

I'd try cooking them foods close to what they normally eat but slight variants; they'll probably be more inclined to eat it out of courteousy knowing you made it for them. Eventually you may be able to move past those foods into more out there things.

From the sounds of it he'd probably be at risk of deficiencies and diseases like scurvy, so maybe vitamin C drinks would be a good thing to try. 

What kind of foods does he eat if I may ask?

⋆ D e l p h i c 

☾ Anorexia - 5 years ☽

Accountability with photos: https://www.myproana...𝟫𝟥☆/?p=73926409

❂Australian + Wiccan (dianic)❂

114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 Nirvana (BMI 16.4)

sdv.gif

#3 phoenixthelost

phoenixthelost

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 December 2020 - 07:46 AM

What kind of foods does he eat if I may ask?

Let's hope I did this right. Anyway, he mostly eats ground beef. Tacos, Hamburger Helper, Tuna Helper, sometimes pizza and chicken strips, spaghetti, cereal...That's about all I can think of right now.

I'm really sorry about your friend. That sounds awful.
  • Delphic likes this
☆We fall in love with the unattainable.☆

#4 Delphic

Delphic

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 21 December 2020 - 05:18 PM

Let's hope I did this right. Anyway, he mostly eats ground beef. Tacos, Hamburger Helper, Tuna Helper, sometimes pizza and chicken strips, spaghetti, cereal...That's about all I can think of right now.

I'm really sorry about your friend. That sounds awful.

That's better than I pictured, I can see why you're worried though; that's a lot of fat and salt.

All of them seem to be good ones for modifying though; ground beef pairs well with vegetables of most variants and some added protein beef with low fat might help. Pizza can be made healthy too, and maybe putting the chicken strips on like a sandwich would work? These are all those foods picky children tend to eat exclusively; ARFID notorious ones. 

Ally was a severe case, but it's taught me that ARFID and PTSD are dangerous as hell, even if people dumb it down to being that one thing children go through; it's a serious issue, and I wish someone would have given proper help instead of brushing it off as something she'd get over later in life. Your partner may need that help too, I don't know much about them but it sounds like there's a deeper issue and though he's okay now, in future it could develop if his mental health declines.

I would not diagnose him with ARFID yet; but if he shows signs of distress or unwarrented fear/anger/anxiety over eatting other foods, I'd be a bit concerned.

I hope you're both doing well <3

⋆ D e l p h i c 

☾ Anorexia - 5 years ☽

Accountability with photos: https://www.myproana...𝟫𝟥☆/?p=73926409

❂Australian + Wiccan (dianic)❂

114 113 112 111 110 109 108 107 106 105 104 103 102 101 100 99 98 97 96 95 94 93 Nirvana (BMI 16.4)

sdv.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users