Protein & nutrients - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Protein & nutrients

4 replies to this topic

#1 oinkoink

oinkoink

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 02:50 PM

Living with ARFID, and also being a vegetarian, makes it super hard for me to get protein and some other nutrients I need. I am already so sick I can barely get out of bed, and I know nutrients are fuel for the body which I’m not getting. I hate beans, legumes, vegetables, etc but I HAVE to eat them eventually if I want to live a life outside of my bed.
Please post any tips you have for eating new foods and forcing it down! I find it really difficult, any advice will be greatly appreciated
  • stkitty likes this

#2 stkitty

stkitty

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:06 PM

One thing I do is "food exposures" but not the anorexia way? Sometimes slower.

Plating food, sitting with it near me, tolerating it on my fork... It takes a lot of little steps lol. Sometimes I eat a food, decide I enjoy it, and still can't eat it all.

#3 oinkoink

oinkoink

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 05:14 PM

One thing I do is "food exposures" but not the anorexia way? Sometimes slower.

Plating food, sitting with it near me, tolerating it on my fork... It takes a lot of little steps lol. Sometimes I eat a food, decide I enjoy it, and still can't eat it all.

I feel so guilty doing this because my boyfriend usually has to cook for me (I’ve been too sick) so I will be wasting food and wasting his time :/
It is a good suggestion though and I might be able to try doing that in some circumstances (like if his mom makes extras)
  • Minky31 and stkitty like this

#4 Soulina

Soulina

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:27 AM

What foods do you eat?

My diet is extremely limited even for a ARFID but healthy.  I have been tested for deficiencies and all my values except vitamin D were excellent. I just have trouble to eat enough in calories sometimes.

I do not eat anything processed so I would starve if I could not cook for myself. I am not vegetarian as I would starve if I left meat out of my current diet.  

I try foods that are close to the ones I already eat. I will never force anything down as I end up just throwing everything up anyway and stomachache and it will make trying new foods even more stressful.

• stkitty likes this

-

We're gonna do it, going so high
We'll play all night, put away your exhaustion
I love it, love it, love it, love it, love it too
I showed myself to you so show yourself to me too
I want you to hug me
What do I do about this?
I caught attention seeking illness because of you
I don't know why I'm being like this
Why do I wanna do bad things?

-

NCT127 - Baby Don´t Like it

My stats:

Spoiler

My Threads:

Soulina´s thinspo dump (male K-pop idols)

pinterest version (click --->here<----)

Soulina´s rant thread  (random whining)

Soulina´s accountability (with NCT memes)

cd4170b82da77076799dba9db01c3408.gif

#5 85lb

85lb

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 03:04 PM

are you a vegetarian by choice, or does your ARFID impact an inability to try meat? if it's not the ladder, i really urge you to introduce at least a chicken product or something of the sort into your diet. the only meat i have is chicken nuggets/tenders/whatever; it's not a lot but it definitely gets me by. 

there is protein in vegetables, but definitely not a lot in comparison + this protein doesn't get fully absorbed. is there possibly a protein supplement you could take? that's the only thing i can really think of.

• stkitty likes this

▸ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ┈┈┈┈ 🎕 ◂

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users