How many books did you read in 2020? - Media and Art - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How many books did you read in 2020?

dont blame you if its none books rest in pieces 2020

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Lio

Lio

Whoresley Willis

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3303 posts
  • LocationI am in hell help me

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:27 AM

As the title says.

I read 75 of my 80 book goodreads goal this year. None of them were very long, so I managed to get in that many despite having several month long reading slumps (it also helps that I started off the year pre-quarantine depression by reading 12 books in January, audiobooks mostly.)

What about you guys? What was your favorite book you read this year? Which one are you the most proud you finished?

My favorite book I read this year is a toss up between In the Dream House by Carmen Maria Machado and The Real Lolita by Sarah Weinman. Ironically those are both heart wrenching and gut wrenching non-fiction books, but they were both five star reads. I'll add in that my favorite fiction book I read this year was The Merciless by Danielle Vega, which is also gut wrenching but is also YA horror, so not as gut wrenching as the non-fiction books. My proudest book achievement this year was The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux, which was very dense and boring in parts but also a book I've always wanted to read and a classic of gothic literature that not many people actually have read, so I secretly feel like one of a chosen few who would pick it up in 2020 and therefore *very smart*  :rolleyes:

Tell me about your reading year below! If you didn't read any books in 2020, I don't blame you, and it's a new year, so you can always make up for it starting today!

*Also, plz no smartass comments about how the prospect of people reading books in the 21st century is comedic, it'll make me sad  :(

• pumpkinbubble, parish and realex like this

#2 pumpkinbubble

pumpkinbubble

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Locationhmm?

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:34 AM

none in 2020... neither in 2019... nor 2018... maybe one or two when I was IP in 2017... ha..haha

(not really replying to the topic I know, it was more like a "funny sad comment", although thanks for reminding me (us) that I can always try to change that, I hope to manage again someday^^)

• Lio likes this

#3 scarecrows

scarecrows

wildly inappropriate whore

• Accountability access
  • 6636 posts
  • Location.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................shinji ikari's cum hand

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:36 AM

to be honest i probably only read like, 10. if that haha

favorite book: one flew over the cuckoos nest

honorable mentions:

- the green mile

- pet sematary (for like the 100th time)

- catcher in the rye (i know it's like highschool freshman shit but i love it)

- solutions and other problems

also congratz on reading that many, op!!! you're a rockstar, man!! :D

• Lio likes this

╔⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

ᵇᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᵘᵐ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ˢⁱⁿᵏ ᵗʰᵃⁿ ˢⁱⁿᵏ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᶜᵘᵐ

╚⊶⊶⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

74a650ffd1707c8e778fab240899c574_w200.gi

CJ92A.gif

click da egg pls

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 Lio

Lio

Whoresley Willis

• Validating
  • 3303 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:37 AM

none in 2020... neither in 2019... nor 2018... maybe one or two when I was IP in 2017... ha..haha

(not really replying to the topic I know, it was more like a "funny sad comment", although thanks for reminding me (us) that I can always try to change that, I hope to manage again someday^^)

That's okay! As long as reading is still something you enjoy doing, one day you can pick it up again when you're ready :)

• pumpkinbubble likes this

#5 Peanut.

Peanut.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4334 posts
  • LocationDurham's Local Chubbo

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:40 AM

My goal was 100 and I only read 32 (most in the same series e.g. Song of Ice and Fire and the Wheel of Time series) haha. I was so lazy in 2020. Goal for this year is 100 again.

• Lio likes this

HW: 170lb LW: 112lb || Ultimate Goal: IDK   

Add me on discord!

tumblr_inline_p8bw37VjSI1rhwzwl_75sq.gif

[Click me]

#6 biporderline

biporderline

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4956 posts
  • LocationShangri La

I read 22 books!

My fav this year was probablyyy The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks! I think it’s an important book 4 everyone wanting 2 go into healthcare/biology career 2 read

Edit: My proudest book 2 finish was probably Of Mice and Men, I never had 2 read it in HS so I felt very uomo universale reading it on my own
  • Lio likes this

He/him | 20 | USA

EbE_DGlUcAEfOos.png

5275eea0b6e4e144741b3d5aed4b135a.png

#7 Lio

Lio

Whoresley Willis

• Validating
  • 3303 posts

to be honest i probably only read like, 10. if that haha

favorite book: one flew over the cuckoos nest

honorable mentions:

- the green mile

- pet sematary (for like the 100th time)

- catcher in the rye (i know it's like highschool freshman shit but i love it)

- solutions and other problems

also congratz on reading that many, op!!! you're a rockstar, man!! :D

Stephen King is always great! I've never read Pet Sematary (a sin I know) but it's next on my King reading list after I finished Salem's Lot in 2019. I really want to read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest but I'm afraid it will make me even more terrified of ever getting sent to a psych ward haha.

• scarecrows likes this

#8 Lio

Lio

Whoresley Willis

• Validating
  • 3303 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:42 AM

My goal was 100 and I only read 32 (most in the same series e.g. Song of Ice and Fire and the Wheel of Time series) haha. I was so lazy in 2020. Goal for this year is 100 again.

Holy crap, the Song of Ice and Fire and Wheel of Time books are long as hell! Finishing those at all is a major accomplishment even if you didn't end on the number you aimed for!

• Peanut. likes this

#9 Lio

Lio

Whoresley Willis

• Validating
  • 3303 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:44 AM

I read 22 books!

My fav this year was probablyyy The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks! I think it’s an important book 4 everyone wanting 2 go into healthcare/biology career 2 read

Awesome! That's one I definitely want to read. I've heard it's great for both learning about the history of science and black history as well.

• biporderline likes this

#10 biporderline

biporderline

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4956 posts
  • LocationShangri La

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:47 AM

Awesome! That's one I definitely want to read. I've heard it's great for both learning about the history of science and black history as well.

It’s a good read!! It definitely made me shed some tears but it had a lot of good information in it. I highly recommend
  • Lio likes this

He/him | 20 | USA

EbE_DGlUcAEfOos.png

5275eea0b6e4e144741b3d5aed4b135a.png

#11 scarecrows

scarecrows

wildly inappropriate whore

• Accountability access
  • 6636 posts
  • Location.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................shinji ikari's cum hand

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:47 AM

Stephen King is always great! I've never read Pet Sematary (a sin I know) but it's next on my King reading list after I finished Salem's Lot in 2019. I really want to read One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest but I'm afraid it will make me even more terrified of ever getting sent to a psych ward haha.

yes!! pet sematary is my all time favorite. it gets a little better each time you read it!! if you've ever seen the movie, it doesn't do the book justice!!

also yeah. one flew over the cuckoos nest was 70s psych ward (weird to think the 70s were 50 years ago now), but still scary. i promise you it's nothing like psych irl!! but what happens in the story is still terrifying if you're already scared. it's comforting in the sense that they're all voluntarily there but the main character, though. it's pretty sad and a little triggering so if you're in a bad mental spot i'd watch out! overall i think the movie kind of did it justice, so if you want something a little shorter and less mentally consuming like a book, i'd check it out!

• hippo-hips and Lio like this

╔⊶⊷⊷⊶⊷⊷⊶⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╗

ᵇᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᵘᵐ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ˢⁱⁿᵏ ᵗʰᵃⁿ ˢⁱⁿᵏ ⁱⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ᶜᵘᵐ

╚⊶⊶⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊶⊶✞⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷⊷╝

74a650ffd1707c8e778fab240899c574_w200.gi

CJ92A.gif

click da egg pls

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 Piaskin

Piaskin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:53 AM

I read the Handmaids tale and BFF in private. A few weeks ago I started Tales of North mythology. For school I read 5 books.
  • Lio likes this

#13 Lio

Lio

Whoresley Willis

• Validating
  • 3303 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:55 AM

yes!! pet sematary is my all time favorite. it gets a little better each time you read it!! if you've ever seen the movie, it doesn't do the book justice!!

also yeah. one flew over the cuckoos nest was 70s psych ward (weird to think the 70s were 50 years ago now), but still scary. i promise you it's nothing like psych irl!! but what happens in the story is still terrifying if you're already scared. it's comforting in the sense that they're all voluntarily there but the main character, though. it's pretty sad and a little triggering so if you're in a bad mental spot i'd watch out! overall i think the movie kind of did it justice, so if you want something a little shorter and less mentally consuming like a book, i'd check it out!

Yeah, I think psych wards today are definitely 100% better than they were when the book was written, no doubt. I'm just schizophrenic and I've heard horror stories about how psych hospitals can handle people with my illness. Fortunately I've never been "bad enough" that I don't think I'd ever actually need hospitalization, it's just kind of a worst nightmare scenario. I definitely will read the book and watch the movie when I feel ready for it one day though!

• scarecrows likes this

#14 realex

realex

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:56 AM

I haven't updated my goodreads in literal months lol, but I know my total is over a hundred (which is always my goal). I don't think I had any real favorites this year apart from rereads, but I loved Redefining Realness by Janet Mock which is a memoir of her experiences as a transgender woman. Also was really surprised by Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant. I'd heard loads about that one, but horror/supernatural/mermaid-y stuff isn't my usual go to. Thought it was so compelling, though. Just one of those books I never wanted to put down.

I'm also proud of myself for getting through The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I'm not a science minded person so I struggled with it quite a bit, but I did overall enjoy it and I'm glad I managed the whole thing.

I'm trying to think of other things I read this year and enjoyed. Real Queer America by Samantha Allen. Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr. Heft by Liz Moore. A couple of Karin Slaughter books I can't remember, but she's always a good time. 

I have The Phantom of the Opera on my shelf, but I haven't gotten to it yet. It's one I'm not really looking forward to but have always wanted to read for whatever reason lol. Getting through it does seem like an accomplishment!

• biporderline likes this

#15 Lio

Lio

Whoresley Willis

• Validating
  • 3303 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:08 AM

I haven't updated my goodreads in literal months lol, but I know my total is over a hundred (which is always my goal). I don't think I had any real favorites this year apart from rereads, but I loved Redefining Realness by Janet Mock which is a memoir of her experiences as a transgender woman. Also was really surprised by Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant. I'd heard loads about that one, but horror/supernatural/mermaid-y stuff isn't my usual go to. Thought it was so compelling, though. Just one of those books I never wanted to put down.

I'm also proud of myself for getting through The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I'm not a science minded person so I struggled with it quite a bit, but I did overall enjoy it and I'm glad I managed the whole thing.

I'm trying to think of other things I read this year and enjoyed. Real Queer America by Samantha Allen. Once Was Lost by Sara Zarr. Heft by Liz Moore. A couple of Karin Slaughter books I can't remember, but she's always a good time. 

I have The Phantom of the Opera on my shelf, but I haven't gotten to it yet. It's one I'm not really looking forward to but have always wanted to read for whatever reason lol. Getting through it does seem like an accomplishment!

Wow, congrats on over a hundred! 100 is my new goal for this year, it'd be a dream if I could read over that. I have Into the Drowning Deep on my TBR, good to hear you enjoyed it, I might pick it up soon!

#16 𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐬

𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐬

you will burn for eternity...cowards

• Accountability access
  • 3640 posts
  • Locationmothership

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:40 AM

I only read a couple which were required for school this year, which makes me sad because I used to read full length novels in a day and regularly spent 8 hours in the library. My mental health got really bad and I can't focus on reading anymore. I bought a lot that I plan on reading in 2021 though. Trying to get through Art and Fear today, hopefully that will be a good start to the year.

Sent from my massive fucking dumptruck ass using Tapatalk

gallery_754266_63122_1778001.gif

height: 5'7 ✩ sw (1/1): 158 cw (3/11): 132  lw: 127 

watch me get fat on my accountability 

#17 Lio

Lio

Whoresley Willis

• Validating
  • 3303 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:49 AM

I only read a couple which were required for school this year, which makes me sad because I used to read full length novels in a day and regularly spent 8 hours in the library. My mental health got really bad and I can't focus on reading anymore. I bought a lot that I plan on reading in 2021 though. Trying to get through Art and Fear today, hopefully that will be a good start to the year.

Sent from my massive fucking dumptruck ass using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, when I was 10-12 I used to fly through over 100 novels in sometimes less than a year. Reading was all I did. Eventually my mental health got so bad as I grew into a teenager that I didn't want to read or do any hobby of mine that wasn't extremely distracting and would leave me open to think because my mind wasn't occupied. I was terrified of the kind of thoughts and memories I would have to deal with if I did that, so I read no books at all for years and got addicted to the computer, which killed my attention span on top of it. Over the past two years I've slowly been able to rekindle my love of reading a lot more. Something that really helped is listening to classical music while I read. It helps me stay calm and focus on the book, not my thoughts. Another thing that's great is listening to audiobooks while doing boring tasks, like vacuuming or doing the dishes. Do you think that might help you at all?

• 𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐬 likes this

#18 seakissed

seakissed

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5387 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:52 AM

I read 93 books (or 94, can't remember) in 2020. I read a lot for uni / research purposes, but also for my personal pleasure. I really can't choose just one book that I loved because there were many, but I definitely want to read more of classic Japanese literature, as well as discover some more contemporary writers like Haruki Murakami and Zadie Smith. I'm hoping to read 100 this year!

#19 ScarredSlytherin

ScarredSlytherin

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1915 posts
  • LocationDistrict 12-Where you can starve to death in safety

Posted 01 January 2021 - 02:47 PM

Too many to count. Working my way through all the classics though
  • Lio likes this
-We all want someone to notice, until they do...
Then we wish more than anything that they didn't"

-I stopped talking about how I felt...
Because I knew no one cares anyway I

- My mind was a mess
Then I found a razor...
Now my body is a mess too...

The situation may seem horrible, but really, I'm fine...

#20 𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐬

𝐟𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐬

you will burn for eternity...cowards

• Accountability access
  • 3640 posts
  • Locationmothership

Posted 01 January 2021 - 03:02 PM

Oh yeah, when I was 10-12 I used to fly through over 100 novels in sometimes less than a year. Reading was all I did. Eventually my mental health got so bad as I grew into a teenager that I didn't want to read or do any hobby of mine that wasn't extremely distracting and would leave me open to think because my mind wasn't occupied. I was terrified of the kind of thoughts and memories I would have to deal with if I did that, so I read no books at all for years and got addicted to the computer, which killed my attention span on top of it. Over the past two years I've slowly been able to rekindle my love of reading a lot more. Something that really helped is listening to classical music while I read. It helps me stay calm and focus on the book, not my thoughts. Another thing that's great is listening to audiobooks while doing boring tasks, like vacuuming or doing the dishes. Do you think that might help you at all?

We have basically the same story, I lost interest and motivation in reading on top of that and now it feels like an insurmountable mountain.

I can't focus on audiobooks, but I do listen to music while I read. Sometimes I sew or do my nails. I have a hard time staying on just one thing lol. 

• Lio likes this

gallery_754266_63122_1778001.gif

height: 5'7 ✩ sw (1/1): 158 cw (3/11): 132  lw: 127 

watch me get fat on my accountability 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dont blame you if its none, books, rest in pieces 2020

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users