Whats your favorite way to read a book? - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Whats your favorite way to read a book?

Books Library Reading

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 CamelliaMarie

CamelliaMarie

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:37 PM

My public library is currently closed (covid) so I've been using the libby app to get my books and reading them on the Kindle app on my phone. I would much rather have a physical book in my hands but I appreciate the convenience of just having it on my phone for a few reasons.

This led me to wonder what other people use. Do you have a kindle? Do you purchase all of your books? Is your library open to the public? How do you get and read your books?
24 F 4'11"
HW: 178lbs
CW: 159lbs
G1: 143lbs
G2: 130lbs
G3: 115lbs
G4: 100lbs
UGW: 90lbs

#2 inactive

inactive

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1450 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:55 PM

i mostly use the kindle app on my ipad and borrow ebooks/audiobooks from my school's library. i love using the kindle app because it's so easy to define words i don't know. also, listening to audiobooks while reading the book is really helpful for pronunciation imo

#3 sicklythin.blog

sicklythin.blog

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Arkansas

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:57 PM

Trying to read more is one of mpa new years resolutions. I have 3 books. Not a lot I know. Wintergirls, the book Thin (the complementary book that goes with the YouTube documentary) and on kindle app I have the never binge again book. All ED things I know, but I am not really interested in non ed books unless it is books from youtubers or something. I am boring lol. If you have any good book recommendations at all let me know I am trying to branch out. Anyways, I got 2 of those books for pretty cheap from amazon.

Gained all my weight back so I'm starting over   :wub:

GOALS

January 1st- 190lbs

February 14th- 175lbs

March 24th- 155lbs

April 22nd- 145lbs

May 18th- 135lbs

July 1st- 120lbs

September 1st- 100lbs

190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145 140 135 130 125 120 115 110 105 100 95 90

tumblr_mwore8efUW1s5viz6o1_500.gif

#4 sicklythin.blog

sicklythin.blog

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouthwest Arkansas

Posted 01 January 2021 - 09:59 PM

I wanna go get a library card sooo bad! But I need proof of address and I can give them that but this aint my house and I am not at my parents house. Also, stuff with my birth name might get sent to this house like book return reminders or smth and that can't happen soo yeah. Might have my bf get one for me and I will use his card.

Gained all my weight back so I'm starting over   :wub:

GOALS

January 1st- 190lbs

February 14th- 175lbs

March 24th- 155lbs

April 22nd- 145lbs

May 18th- 135lbs

July 1st- 120lbs

September 1st- 100lbs

190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145 140 135 130 125 120 115 110 105 100 95 90

tumblr_mwore8efUW1s5viz6o1_500.gif

#5 moomins

moomins

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1938 posts

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:30 PM

I prefer to hold a book and read it. It hurts my eyes to read them on tablets and such. 

Our libraries are open, and I also see little free libraries all over the place (little cubbies on the side of the road with books people freely give away in them)

I admittedly get my books by just buying them... but I haven't gotten one for months and months because I am still reading them, but it would be wise to probably go to the library!

• shiju333 and hippo-hips like this

HHw5Edu.gif

#6 Iso

Iso

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3150 posts
  • LocationThe Grand Line

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:46 PM

I buy them used from thriftbooks.com for a good price and cheap US shipping. i love physical books best and im trying to read more.
  • CamelliaMarie likes this

dJb8RQdl.png

#7 seakissed

seakissed

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5753 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 11:31 AM

I buy them in libraries. One of my "goals" is to have a beautiful library in my home and my bookshelf is currently half-filled. Reading physical copies of books is also more enjoyable and comfortable to me. I've read a few books and poetry collections online but it wasn't for me. I already spend the whole day in front of my computer for work so when I want to unwind it's so much nicer to read a physical book. 

• Iso likes this

#8 CamelliaMarie

CamelliaMarie

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 06:17 PM

i mostly use the kindle app on my ipad and borrow ebooks/audiobooks from my school's library. i love using the kindle app because it's so easy to define words i don't know. also, listening to audiobooks while reading the book is really helpful for pronunciation imo

I'm really starting to enjoy the kindle app because its more customizable. I can change the text size and the font which makes is easier for my to read (dyslexia). I only wish I could see my words per minute.
  • inactive likes this
24 F 4'11"
HW: 178lbs
CW: 159lbs
G1: 143lbs
G2: 130lbs
G3: 115lbs
G4: 100lbs
UGW: 90lbs

#9 sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:51 AM

I have a hard time concentrating on anything longer than a few paragraphs on a screen. I don't know why. Might be an ADHD thing. Might be just a quirk. But whatever the reason, it's hard for me to read books electronically, and if I manage it, I often don't retain what I read very well. Audiobooks are even worse because I don't retain anything well without a visual component.
That combined with my pretentious love for the aesthetic of physical books means that I almost exclusively read physical books.
I haven't gotten books from the library in a long time. I prefer to own my books because I'm a big rereader and I like to underline my favorite passages. I used to go to the library for any book that I wasn't sure I'd like and I want to go back to doing that after COVID. I also sometimes went just because the library in my city is amazing. I'd go just to be there and ended up checking something out and eventually buying my own copy. I do miss that. It's a gorgeous library.
  • hippo-hips likes this

I guess I just want my invisible jet. 

tumblr_n0ijpgCZnY1ry7xw9o1_500.gif

#10 sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 915 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 12:56 AM

I buy them in libraries. One of my "goals" is to have a beautiful library in my home and my bookshelf is currently half-filled. Reading physical copies of books is also more enjoyable and comfortable to me. I've read a few books and poetry collections online but it wasn't for me. I already spend the whole day in front of my computer for work so when I want to unwind it's so much nicer to read a physical book.

I want a big beautiful home library so badly.

#11 pastafreak

pastafreak

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13592 posts

Posted 10 January 2021 - 05:53 PM

I prefer physical books. E-books just aren't romantic enough for me.

Lately I've been obsessed with thriftbooks.com. They have a massive collection of used books, often for under 5 bucks

• sad_hamlet_with_a_knife likes this

#12 TheBigRedMachine<3

TheBigRedMachine<3

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1334 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 January 2021 - 03:08 PM

I cannot do E-books or audio books, I need a physical copy.

Our library is doing curbside pickup.  You order your book, they put it in a sealed bag with your name on it and call you when it is ready.

I have only done that once this year, I am not adapting to these changes well.  I need to be able to go into the library or a bookstore and hold the book, read the book jacket and decide then if I want to check it out or buy it.

So, since all this started I have been reading books I already own, and trust me I have plenty of unread books.  I have also bought a few from Target.

Weight: 

Pregnant and due in October 2021.

Trying to cope with doing the right thing for baby while dealing with gaining weight and poor body image.

**PSA - my user name is in reference to my favorite wrestler... starting to think it may be interpreted as something else... :)

#13 hippo-hips

hippo-hips

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2860 posts
  • LocationThe Chill Lounge

Posted 17 January 2021 - 04:55 AM

I think my library might be open to the public now but I've gotten so used to checking out books online that I honestly prefer that. The nearest library is a small town library and I think they're sort of limited when it comes to stuff that I like so I use my old library accounts for Sunflower e-library and Hoopla. I used to prefer reading books the old fashioned way but now I prefer reading them online because I feel more connected that way and it's great if I need to google something while I'm reading. 

Height: 5'7

HW: 156.4 

CW:152.2 (was 154.6)

GW: 140s 

LW: 99

U0QWdmB.gif

Sometimes I feel like the mirror is my only companion.

-Mirror, Mirror Off The Wall by Kjerstin Gruys, Ph.D.

#14 sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

sad_hamlet_with_a_knife

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:33 AM

I cannot do E-books or audio books, I need a physical copy.

Our library is doing curbside pickup. You order your book, they put it in a sealed bag with your name on it and call you when it is ready.
I have only done that once this year, I am not adapting to these changes well. I need to be able to go into the library or a bookstore and hold the book, read the book jacket and decide then if I want to check it out or buy it.

So, since all this started I have been reading books I already own, and trust me I have plenty of unread books. I have also bought a few from Target.

My two favorite book stores are open to the public, one by 30 minute appointment and one normally. But I've been trying to do the responsible thing and order from their websites, but it's just not the same. I've just HAD to go in person a couple times. I need the wandering, the choosing.
  • TheBigRedMachine<3 likes this

#15 TheBigRedMachine<3

TheBigRedMachine<3

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1334 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

My two favorite book stores are open to the public, one by 30 minute appointment and one normally. But I've been trying to do the responsible thing and order from their websites, but it's just not the same. I've just HAD to go in person a couple times. I need the wandering, the choosing.

Yes!  There is something about the process of skimming the shelves and being in the atmosphere that e-books and online purchases just cannot replace!

Weight: 

Pregnant and due in October 2021.

Trying to cope with doing the right thing for baby while dealing with gaining weight and poor body image.

**PSA - my user name is in reference to my favorite wrestler... starting to think it may be interpreted as something else... :)

#16 Grindylow

Grindylow

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1492 posts

Posted 05 February 2021 - 09:08 AM

I much much prefer physical books. I usually get the them from charity stores, bc I'm a book hoarder and don't like to part with books I love. But they have been shut for months now so I may have accidentally ordered a few batches of new books online... books are so expensive but im not spending my money on anything else in lockdown and reading is my one true love so may as well.

I've read a few e-books and they are okay, if the book is really good I dont mind, but do find it harder to get into a book if its not a physical copy.

I've recently started getting into audiobooks, I find non-fiction and biographies are great on audio! And I can pace round my city endlessly whilst still 'reading'! I find it harder to get into fiction audiobooks though, unless the voices are phenomenal. Sometimes I'll listen to the audio whilst reading the book, I'm doing this with American Gods at the moment bc its slowly killing me, it can be helpful for big books when you've already read some of it.

• journeyerr likes this
original.gif

5'7 (170cm)   CW: 106 (48kg)   BMI: 16.6   HW: 145?  GW: recovery

#17 fizzle

fizzle

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1128 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 09:32 AM

I used to read physical books only - sourced from libraries and secondhand shops, mostly - but when I started moving a lot (I changed countries six times in 2018) I switched over to an e-reader and I haven't looked back. I still read physical library books when I visit family (because they all live in countries with English-language libraries, hah), but I also read many many many library ebooks. I still prefer the feel of a real book, of course, but my e-reader has been a game-changer in terms of travel (...in the days when travel was a thing) and living abroad.

#18 journeyerr

journeyerr

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1339 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 06 February 2021 - 11:02 AM

buy used books on amazon and sell them back

i like the actual paper and turning pages

• IntroxAna likes this

#19 IntroxAna

IntroxAna

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1714 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 February 2021 - 02:01 AM

My favourite way is a brand new paper back (hard backs are a little awkward) picked up in my local Waterstones (we don't have an independent bookstore in my area :L. 

This isn't really sustainable though I guess it's not good for the planet but more importantly for me storage space wise or financially. 

I'm grateful for my kindle as it feels as close to a book without being a book and low prices with instant delivery (I have an old one without the ads as well).

Audible / Libro fm have also been good this year. I like the background noise while doing things but I don't take the book in as well.

They have meant I can take part in my book group socially distanced though and support bookstores through lockdown with libro. 

I also like secondhand on amazon / eBay too as it feels less wasteful and is a little cheaper but I still get a physical book.

As for location I'm not fussy literally anywhere it's acceptable to read. 

"Insanity is a logical response to an insane world".

Stereotypes have their place but life is a Spectrum and if you don't see that you miss out on so many of the colours.

#20 winternight.

winternight.

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 05:01 AM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Books, Library, Reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users