Excuses to get out of eating sandwiches - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Excuses to get out of eating sandwiches

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 softpink

softpink

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2488 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:44 AM

I had no idea what to title this, but here's the context:

• I have to attend a two week orientation program in which morning tea and lunch are provided. Morning tea will probably be muffins, which I can probably just... not do, but it'll definitely raise eyebrows if I turn down lunch too. 
  • Lunch will likely be wraps and sandwiches.
  • It's at the hospital I'll be working at and I'll be meeting all the other interns, who will probably judge me if I don't eat the same provided lunch as them.
  • The education support officer said to email them with dietary requirements but it's not like I can say I'm deathly afraid of all carbs?

I mean, maybe my body won't balloon because I have to go into IP for a week before so my body will already be used to a little more food, but this is absolutely doing my head in.

I've already resigned myself to the fact that everyone is going to find out I'm weird with food. Maybe I'll just eat half a sandwich and then try to purge it somehow so that I can concentrate on the orientation instead of writhing with anxiety.

Any tips on how to get around this or cope with the situation?

Thanks in advance, and I hope you're all having an okay new year.

a301948ad2ebb3bd7056443bf2348406.gif

'Life without hope is hopelessly difficult but at the end hope can so easily make fools of us all.'

-Henry Marsh.

25 year old med school graduate (undergrad: diagnostic radiography) 

AN b/p

maybe/maybe not Christian

Height: 5'2" (157cm)

CW: 76lbs (34.6kg) BMI 14.1

SW: 121 lbs (55kg) BMI 22.7

Accountability (ED, studies and life)

Instagram, (send me a DM for the handle!)

Med Tumblr (my journal from medical imaging to medicine)

Recovery/positivity Tumblr (for a bit of a change in tack)

#2 Nyri

Nyri

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1894 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:49 AM

If its work related, and you mention that it is in a sense, you dont want to be seen as the nurse who refuses to eat, it doesnt look or sound professional in the adult world.

They mentioned dietary requirements, ask for a vegan wrap, a wrap has less "bread" than a sandwich baguette, and if its vegan its just veggies.

This is one option.
The other option is not to eat anything, and have all of them being suspicious on you.

All the best xx
  • softpink, Perfection-Obsession and beautiful garbage like this

1a.jpg

#3 GloriousThorn

GloriousThorn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3109 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:51 AM

You could say you're gluten free. That takes away most bread options. Then maybe you can just have a salad or tell them you'll bring your own food.
  • Oakley❅, FeathersAreFree and softpink like this
"I couldn't utter my love when it counted
ah but I'm singing like a bird about it now"

5'1 and a half
HW: 165
CW: 126 12/27/20
NCW: 123 12/30/20
NCW: 120 1/1/21
NCW: 119.5 1/10/21 - Finally back out of the 120s!!
LW: 103
GW: 110?

#4 Anamia.

Anamia.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5441 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:55 AM

Just eat the filling! There’s bound to be a wrap with lower cal fillings.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
  • softpink likes this

Height: 5'55 

HW:200
SW:166
CW: been stuck in the 120s like

UGW: 90 

Maintenance Goal: Staying in the range of the 40kgs (90-105ish lbs). BMI 16 probs the sweet spot.

Accountability: https://www.myproana...tarving-artist/

Affirmations: 

I am worthy of abundance in my life. (Just not in regards to fat on my body okay I want that fat-free female figure.)
Opportunities are always attracted to me and I am always presented with them at the right time.
I am worthy of financial security and financial abundance.

Gave up recovery and the idea of recovering.

I'm not so naiive as to believe that reaching my UGW would be ultimate happiness,

but it is so much easier to be sad and underweight than it is to be fat and depressed.

#5 Rinnie44

Rinnie44

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 08:58 AM

In the past I've emailed in advance and just asked under the guise of like food sensitivities/temporary diet from doctor if there would be a grain-free/dairy-free/vegan/etc. option or adjustment I could make myself. People have usually be chill about telling me what their plan is.

Could bring like an egg white wrap with you to switch out if they have other bread. Or, as said before, just eat the insides of the sandwich. I would recommend setting up your plate and getting rid of the bun or whatever before you sit down at any table, and then just start making conversation about something else.

Keep in mind too, many times in these situations the meals are kind of ended short or there's someone talking while you're eating, so the focus will quickly be directed away from you and the food, I hope! I'm not a healthcare worker, so please note I defer to others in your field about the ethical/necessary boundaries of how you handle in that way....a few days of higher intake is worth your career, it's not forever either. I hope there's a middle ground solution though. 

• softpink and GloriousThorn like this

C

She/Her/Hers   26    

An-R, Ortho, PTSD, A&D, S-H, SI/Attempts

Me: "I hate myself and everything is terrible"

ALSO Me: *peace sign pose in the mirror* ✌🏼

Height: 5' 4"

CW: 102

UGW: Under 99? Disappear?

#6 beautiful garbage

beautiful garbage

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:03 AM

for dietary you could either say you’re gluten-free or you want a vegetarian wrap. i promise you that it won’t make you gain weight if you eat just one <3
  • softpink likes this

#7 Nyri

Nyri

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1894 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:04 AM

a few days of higher intake is worth your career, it's not forever either. I hope there's a middle ground solution though.

Yes, this, is what im also saying above as well.

She doesnt want to draw attention or suspision on her by "only eating a salad etc" because this singles her out from the rest of the group. In 1-2 years OP might be recover from her ED, but she wont be able to recover any bad impressions or unproffesional impressions of her to the people of her field. This is not a school trip, this is medical work.

Thats why i havent suggested things that single her out: if other people eat wraps & sandwiches, then vegan wrap is the less dense choice
  • softpink, Hodgeheg500 and beautiful garbage like this

1a.jpg

#8 beautiful garbage

beautiful garbage

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:04 AM

for dietary you could either say you’re gluten-free or you want a vegetarian wrap. i promise you that it won’t make you gain weight if you eat just one <3

but please enjoy yourself there! food is fuel. i know we are mentally ill here and that won’t help but i just wanted to get that out
  • softpink likes this

#9 softpink

softpink

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2488 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:13 AM

Thank you all so much, these are all really great points and super helpful ideas! I appreciate your perspectives greatly  :wub: 

If its work related, and you mention that it is in a sense, you dont want to be seen as the nurse who refuses to eat, it doesnt look or sound professional in the adult world.

They mentioned dietary requirements, ask for a vegan wrap, a wrap has less "bread" than a sandwich baguette, and if its vegan its just veggies.

This is one option.
The other option is not to eat anything, and have all of them being suspicious on you.

All the best xx

You're absolutely right. I think a vegan option will be easier on the mind, as well as reminders of the longer term payoff.

I do want to get better eventually! So surely now is a good time to at least attempt to be like the others.

Thank you for your kindness, thought and help, I appreciate it so much.

You could say you're gluten free. That takes away most bread options. Then maybe you can just have a salad or tell them you'll bring your own food.

That's true! I've definitely seen people taking their own food to these things and I'm fairly certain at least some of those people didn't have EDs.  Telling people I'm gluten sensitive might help with the morning tea grain items!

I really

Just eat the filling! There’s bound to be a wrap with lower cal fillings.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Love you lots, thank you for reminding me this is still an option. It's definitely better than not taking anything at all!

In the past I've emailed in advance and just asked under the guise of like food sensitivities/temporary diet from doctor if there would be a grain-free/dairy-free/vegan/etc. option or adjustment I could make myself. People have usually be chill about telling me what their plan is.

Could bring like an egg white wrap with you to switch out if they have other bread. Or, as said before, just eat the insides of the sandwich. I would recommend setting up your plate and getting rid of the bun or whatever before you sit down at any table, and then just start making conversation about something else.

Keep in mind too, many times in these situations the meals are kind of ended short or there's someone talking while you're eating, so the focus will quickly be directed away from you and the food, I hope! I'm not a healthcare worker, so please note I defer to others in your field about the ethical/necessary boundaries of how you handle in that way....a few days of higher intake is worth your career, it's not forever either. I hope there's a middle ground solution though. 

That's a really good idea! I will bring a couple of contingency items if it all gets too stressful.

But overall, I'll try to focus on the other parts of the day and making new friends. 

I guess in reality I don't want to have an ED forever, so now is as good a time as any to try  coping with being normal!

You're so lovely, thank you for the reassurance. Please take care, too. The world needs kind souls like you!

• Anamia. and Nyri like this

'Life without hope is hopelessly difficult but at the end hope can so easily make fools of us all.'

-Henry Marsh.

AN b/p

#10 heihei7

heihei7

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

They most likely will have some salads or veggies with the sandwhich. It’s rare when they don’t have something else. But I would tell them you don’t eat gluten. Also, there might be fruit in the morning you can eat some of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • softpink likes this
CW:152
GW1:150
GW2:130
GW3: 115
GW4:105
Gw: 90

#11 thinstrument

thinstrument

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2516 posts
  • LocationUpper Midwest...where it's cold

Posted 03 January 2021 - 10:19 AM

Gluten free Vegan is usually a safer bet.  Vegetarian means veggies mixed with mayo and cheese in my experience....

I've never had issue with bringing my own "safe" foods and telling people I'm a picky eater.  I'm pretty old and honestly only ever had one person in my many jobs ever actually care about what I'm eating at a work thing. 

• softpink and heihei7 like this

I ramble online at Carrots In My Carryon

#12 horror_girl

horror_girl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2858 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 07:15 PM

I'm vegetarian, gluten intolerant and allergic to dairy. Usually if I tell people that, they realize they don't have an option for me and tell me to bring my own. That could work for you, little white lie, but you can bring something you are comfortable with, and still be eating

• softpink likes this

Currently 62.6kg, 5'5.5'' tall
Follow my accountability here: https://www.myproana...e-take-control/

Previous Accountability (98 kg to 55 Kg) -  https://www.myproana...getarian/page-1

#13 softpink

softpink

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2488 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:51 AM

Thank you so much for your kind replies!

They most likely will have some salads or veggies with the sandwhich. It’s rare when they don’t have something else. But I would tell them you don’t eat gluten. Also, there might be fruit in the morning you can eat some of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right about the fruit! It's a bit ridiculous but sometimes my ED kicks up a fuss about fruit so it's helpful to hear you say it's a good option. Thank you for your help!

Gluten free Vegan is usually a safer bet.  Vegetarian means veggies mixed with mayo and cheese in my experience....

I've never had issue with bringing my own "safe" foods and telling people I'm a picky eater.  I'm pretty old and honestly only ever had one person in my many jobs ever actually care about what I'm eating at a work thing. 

So true. Vegan is far safer.

You do raise a good point about simply bringing my own food. Eventually these people are going to see what I eat on the daily so why not get started two weeks early?

I'm vegetarian, gluten intolerant and allergic to dairy. Usually if I tell people that, they realize they don't have an option for me and tell me to bring my own. That could work for you, little white lie, but you can bring something you are comfortable with, and still be eating

Thank you for your help. I reckon this will be a good plan! I hope people are kind and helpful with your needs!

• horror_girl likes this

-Henry Marsh.

AN b/p

#14 softpink

softpink

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2488 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 January 2021 - 09:57 AM

Also! I’ll post pictures of the sandwiches I eat in IP as preparation as well as updates on how orientation unfolds.

Over the next few years I hope to slowly find my identity as a doctor and bit by bit, leave my ED behind.

After all, food is just fuel but it’s also a way to connect with people and my body is just a vessel but it’s also going to help me do cool things!

So here’s to sandwiches and great people like you guys!

91d4671f3006bd63e6fadd7888588a26.jpg

(Sandwich from IP last time that fell apart whoops)
  • Anamia., FeathersAreFree and fleur! like this

-Henry Marsh.

AN b/p

#15 Outlier

Outlier

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 04 January 2021 - 10:14 AM

I work in construction crews and never eat anything on our morning and noon breaks. Just drinks monsters.

You're an adult. You can do whatever you want. I like to eat at night, I like to eat in my own home. It's just how I am and people get used to it.

I have more important reasons than that technically but frankly those reasons make sense to people. Plus I now have a boyfriend who is in the same trade, and likes to call my eating habits "grazing". So I'm sure if anyone we both know bring up me not eating during the day, he'll probably tell them that it's because I wake up at 3am and eat ice cream.(halotop) lmao

• softpink likes this

#16 softpink

softpink

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2488 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:19 PM

I work in construction crews and never eat anything on our morning and noon breaks. Just drinks monsters.

You're an adult. You can do whatever you want. I like to eat at night, I like to eat in my own home. It's just how I am and people get used to it.

I have more important reasons than that technically but frankly those reasons make sense to people. Plus I now have a boyfriend who is in the same trade, and likes to call my eating habits "grazing". So I'm sure if anyone we both know bring up me not eating during the day, he'll probably tell them that it's because I wake up at 3am and eat ice cream.(halotop) lmao

You’re right. In the end, their judgment is theirs and I have my own life to live.

How good are Monsters though! We have the green and white ones here, the orange ones are a bit rarer.

-Henry Marsh.

AN b/p

#17 softpink

softpink

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2488 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:19 PM

6fbf9cde88c41ba9def81cfb1675e2ec.jpg

First sandwich in IP!
  • FeathersAreFree likes this

-Henry Marsh.

AN b/p

#18 Butterflygirl88

Butterflygirl88

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:33 PM

The best excuse is to say you are really fussy. I really am. I won’t eat most foods - I eat like an autistic toddler and I have always done so.
I say I have Arfid (which I do) which is a restrictive eating disorder without the emotional baggage.
It means I get away with saying I won’t eat white bread, mayonnaise, butter, most fruits and vegetables, red meat, anything too chewy, slimy, crumbly, sour, sweet, ... or anything that looks a funny shape, size, colour etc.

To work colleagues it’s the best cover ever!
  • softpink and Perfection-Obsession like this
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.”
― Lao Tzu

HW ever: Too ashamed to say! 😢
HW this year: 75kg (after relapsing and regaining weight)
Current weight unknown because I’m too scared to weigh myself. Afraid I’m bigger than my HW. Feel so miserable.
GW1: 70kg ❎
GW2: 65kg ❎
GW3: 60kg ❎
UGW: 55kg ❎ I will be happy 😃. All of my mental health issues will magically disappear.

#19 envyadams

envyadams

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts
  • Locationhalfaxa

Posted 11 January 2021 - 08:37 PM

See if they can do a keto or paleo option!

• softpink likes this

HW: 136.5lbs | LW: 110lbs | CW: 120lbs | GW1: 120lbs | GW2: 115lbs | GW3: 110lbs | UGW: 105lbs :D \

I need someone else
To look into my eyes and tell me
"Girl, you know you've got to watch your health"

#20 Perfection-Obsession

Perfection-Obsession

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 09:03 AM

I have coeliac disease and am vegan. Ask if they have a gluten free vegan option? 9/10 it’ll be a salad or soup.

Then the other thing that I do in these sorts of situations is use lunch as a networking opportunity. Xx chat to people a lot, move around the tables. Be the perfect bubbly professional who is just soooo interested in talking about the field that no one notices how little they eat
  • FeathersAreFree and softpink like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users