Just discovered AFRID and I think I might have it - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Just discovered AFRID and I think I might have it

AFRIDeating picky eating fear foods thoughts restricting disordered thoughts

3 replies to this topic

#1 NadezhdaYung

NadezhdaYung

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 05:09 PM

I usually avoid reading anything related to food disorders because it makes me feel mentally unwell, but today I just came across AFRID and wow, I thought I truly was an extreme picky eater but this condition pretty much summarizes my food habits so well. 

Now, I say "I think I might have it" because without an actual diagnosis, I won't claim that I do have it... but I also won't pursue a diagnosis because I do not want to reveal disordered thoughts about eating to any professional (not yet at least).

Anyway, as far as I can remember, all my life, I had certain food groups that I stuck to and I refused to eat anything outside of it because they disgusted me. I couldn't ever eat seafood, vegetables and most fruits, even certain dairy products.

Vegetables was just off-limits to me because something about the way leaves crunch in my mouth gives me instant nausea and makes me vomit, including their flavor and stronger smells. I mentally connect vegetables to all vegetation, such as leaves and grass, so it doesn't make sense to me why people would choose to eat vegetables. Like, you might as well pick off leaves from a tree and eat them. Anyway, due to the vomiting, I just avoid vegetables all together because I know the outcome of trying it is not good or worth the effort. I /+could never in my life comprehend how things like lettuce or shallots or onions didn't make people vomit.

The concept of eating seafood to me is also bizarre. It smells bad and the odor gives me so much irritation that I get moody and passive-aggressive just from smelling in nearby. I usually just clamp my nose when I have to walk beside a fish store because I cannot stand the smell that comes out. It makes me lose all appetite and triggers goosebumps. I have tried it as well, but the texture is unbearable. I mentally expect it to be like meat (chicken, beef, etc), but it's soft or chewy and salty and every bite releases the odor in your mouth. Salmon and the stronger smelling fishes are the worst ever. I did get away with eating tuna before, but unknowingly because I thought my fried rice was chicken and egg fried rice, but turns out it was tuna and egg fried rice. Someone cooked it to the point it absorbed the egg+rice flavor and until it looked like tiny chicken pieces, lol.

And then some fruits as well. I don't like apple for some reason due to it's crunch and the texture of the skin. I only like softer fruits, like bananas, raspberries and watermelon, etc. So crunchy fruits are a no-no, while soft fruits are okay. I like peaches, but without the skin only (weird texture of the skin again). For strawberries, I usually prefer them when they're canned and softened, but they're mostly okay, unless I bite into a not-fully ripe one that has a crunch. Thankfully, most fruit smell good and fragrant, so I don't have that association with smells with fruits.

It gets quite embarrassing as an adult, because I can't really go out to restaurants with friends or eat takeaway food because I don't know what they put into the recipes. If there are any vegetables, then I have to pick them out, but if there's too much or if the flavor corrupted the other ingredients, then I just cannot eat it. I need to always prefer to prepare my own food where I have full control. I cannot eat other people's cooking and it gets humiliating if you're invited to someone's house for dinner or an event and everyone looks at you as if you're not enjoying the food they served. I try to explain that they're not bad cooks, but there are textures, flavors and smells I cannot tolerate for some unknown reason and it will have an effect on my emotions and make me nauseous. Don't get me wrong, visually the meals look great, but when it comes to the other senses, I just cannot tolerate certain things. 

My food groups are really just stuck down to breads, cereals, potatoes, fragrant cheeses and dairy (no smelly ones), eggs, meat such as chicken and beef (but no pork or lamb either), seeds and fats (butter, oil). 

Also, flavors such as sweet, salty, sour and umami are okay while bitter things are off limits (smell+flavor).

Interestingly, enough anxiety disorders are common with AFRID have a comorbidity of almost 75%, and I do in fact have an anxiety disorder that I had all my life.

The more you know.  :wacko:

• stkitty likes this

{{ I don't really care about specifying weight here because everyone is a different height (which makes a huge difference so no use comparing), hence, here's my BMI stats }}

Highest BMI: 27.0 → Current BMI: 24.7 (lost 0.6 since 28-12-20)

Goal 1 BMI: 19.0  Goal 2 BMI: 17.0  Goal 3 BMI: 15.0

#2 NadezhdaYung

NadezhdaYung

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 07:58 PM

Also forgot to mention, but in terms of color, I won't eat anything green (probably due to the mental association with vegetables), blue and purple. Blue and purple just don't look edible, it simply doesn't make anything look like food that's supposed to be consumed by humans. 

• stkitty likes this

{{ I don't really care about specifying weight here because everyone is a different height (which makes a huge difference so no use comparing), hence, here's my BMI stats }}

Highest BMI: 27.0 → Current BMI: 24.7 (lost 0.6 since 28-12-20)

Goal 1 BMI: 19.0  Goal 2 BMI: 17.0  Goal 3 BMI: 15.0

#3 stkitty

stkitty

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 06 January 2021 - 08:38 PM

Blue and purple just don't look edible, it simply doesn't make anything look like food that's supposed to be consumed by humans. 

Yeah I get that. Shit's wack!

#4 jpi332

jpi332

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1167 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 05:50 PM

Yeah, to me that sounds like arfid.

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: AFRIDeating, picky eating, fear foods, thoughts, restricting, disordered thoughts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users