is 800 cals a day high restriction? - Page 4 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

is 800 cals a day high restriction?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 citrina

citrina

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 12:04 PM

medium

#62 chocolatewaif

chocolatewaif

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4565 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

Personally I consider anything 800 calories or less very low restriction. 

I'm not saying there aren't people who restrict lower than that but I hesitate to believe that many people really are living on less than that for long periods of time. Only the most severe cases of anorexia would you see that. And not to be offensive, but a lot of us here even if we have EDs are not at that point. 

Most accountabilities you see here are binging every few days on a 1000-1200 calorie restriction, let a long 800. Even the people who say their diagnosis is anorexia. I don't say that to discredit people's ED experiences, but to note that it's always been confusing to me why people are so insistent that 800 calories is high restriction when most of us are eating more than that. And that there is no shame in eating more calories than 800. 

A lot of the time the thinnest people, most deep in their anorexia, I've observed on ED forums are eating around 800 calories consistently, maybe between 700-1000 with some occasional dips into 400-600 territory. 

And if they cut their calories lower they're either going to end up "binging" to 800 calories (or like 1000-1200) or they'll complete their cut and go back to 800 calories. And the fact that 800 calories is very low is the reason they're able to do that in the first place. 

In the grand scheme of restriction, 800 calories may be easier to maintain over a long period doesn't mean its not low restriction. 

But I think that's why it get's lumped in with high restriction because that's the point where people may be able to sustain for a little while, where as under that most people, would start to crack and binge or end up eating more than they want to. 

But 800 calories is most definitely a very low calorie diet, for anyone. 

I wanna be special. So fucking special.

Height: 5'5"

Current: 121.5 | Start: 142 | Goal: 120 Ultimate: 110

#63 daemonium

daemonium

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:41 PM

i would say medium, since personally 100-500 is low and 600-900 would be the medium. but it's still restricting, over half of your "normal" daily intake.

#64 garthywoof

garthywoof

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in England

Posted 14 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

It’s low to mid. 800 is considered a very low calorie diet by most everyone and isn’t sustainable long term.

SW/HW @ 22: 186 fat

CW: 151

GW 1: 161

GW 2: 151

GW 3: 141

GW 4: 131

GW 5: 121

LW: 142

He thinks he's so skinny but he's actually not

#65 beetlegum

beetlegum

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:17 PM

I pretty much do this now... 600 was my max but happier at 500, but recently I’ve upped it to max 800 as keep plateauing and been advised it might help to vary my intake... but I try and stick closer to 500/600 on some days, too. Just curious how much weight you lose each week/month doing this?

honestly, it's hard for me to say. my weight seems to fluctuate very randomly sometimes, and i'm pretty fresh into this relapse still. i also fast a lot because it is easier for me, but my starting weigh-in was 121, and in about two weeks i lost six pounds. i haven't been able to weigh myself since the second since i'm out of the house on quarantine, but i'll be very interested to see where i'm at when i get home in a few days, and then it will be back to stricter monitoring and more fasting. my weight also like to plateau a lot (i've been doing OMAD for years, plus some mystery gastro problems) so my weight loss is always very erratic, it feels like. but i should be heading home in a few days, and i plan to start an accountability thread for it so i can monitor my progress more closely! 

"i eat garbage because i am garbage."

h: 5'0"
hw: 158
lw: 98

sw: 121
cw: 115
gw: 115 | 110 | 105 | 100 | 95 | 90
ugw: 80

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users