What do consider to be small measurements? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

What do consider to be small measurements?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Want2bsmol

Want2bsmol

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:15 PM

What would you consider to be small measurements for your wrist, arms, waist, thighs, etc? I'm always measuring but I never really have anything other than myself to compare it to

Consider me one plan away from suicide

HW: 150

LW: 103.3

GW1: 125

GW2: 120

GW3: 110

GW4: 105

UGW: 100

UGW2: 97

CW: 105

Height: 5"4'

#2 mammoth

mammoth

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:50 PM

Definitely depends on height/bone structure. I'm 5'6" average-boned and a 25" waist was the smallest I could get while functioning somewhat.

~ Relapsing ~

I gained weight for two months and am now healthier physically, but I am so mentally unstable. I feel depressed without restriction- an underlying purpose and motivation to get up and live my life. I don't want my health to deteriorate again- but I feel hopeless and I feel like I need it to get back on track and have meaning, confidence, and hope.

Please pray for me I don't want it to completely take over my mind. 

HW: 141

LW: 106

5'6"

accountability

#3 protopope

protopope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:52 AM

Mine are: 31.5” bust, 22” waist, 32” hips, 17” upper thigh, 5.25” wrist. And I’m 5’7. I think height is a big factor.. there are runway models who are thinner than me but have bigger measurements because they are like 5’11.. the taller you are the harder it is to have ‘small’ measurements. Also bone structure plays a role , everyone is proportioned a little differently

#4 DistressedOrange

DistressedOrange

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2119 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:57 AM

I'm only 5'2" so while my measurements are small on paper, I don't look *that* small and nowhere near as thin as someone taller would look. My wrists are just under 5 inches, thighs are 14.75 at the widest part, bust waist and hips are 27-19-29. My waist is small but I have almost no ass/tits so I don't get the tiny cinched waist appearance, I kind of just look rectangular lol. And although measurements are important, whether you're small because of muscle making things tighter or just because you're at a low weight makes a huuuge difference visually.
"It's a very Greek idea, and a very profound one.

Beauty is terror.

Whatever we call beautiful, we quiver before it. And what could be more terrifying and beautiful, to souls like the Greeks or our own, than to lose control completely?"

-Donna Tartt, The Secret History

Click click for ~lyrics~

Spoiler

Accountability:

https://www.myproana...key-yes-really/

Body chek
https://www.myproana...ve-body-checks/

157cm/5'2"

Yikes

#5 Chubbychops

Chubbychops

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6578 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:12 AM

At 5ft 9" - the smallest measurements I can recall were

31.5" bust
21" waist
31.5" hips

Thighs - biggest part were 11"

My BMI was low 11's at the time. I was regarded as emaciated - ie not sure my waist and hips could measure any smaller due to my frame. I had a sad baggy arse. My knee joints were bigger than my thighs.

I dont think I was "small". My joints looked clunky - not waif and petite.
5ft 9" / 175 cm

CBMI : 43 kg / 95 lb - BMI 14.0 (01/10/20)
Dressed

Highest weight I have been in years. Functioning so much better but struggling somewhat mentally and physically to accept. Learning a lot about why I am like this.

- Re-diagnosed Nov-17 - back in treatment (OP) after more than 20 years.

LBMI : Who cares - I was screwed, can't remember much, severe depression and just wanting to die, unable to maintain temperature - have no desire to return to that little hell hole.

LDBMI - Lowest Discharge BMI (after 2.5 months hospitalisation) : 11.9... and finally, after 9+ years, some form of 'recovery/insight' - just not the "Made for TV" version.

Chubbychops Accountability

#6 jackalyvia

jackalyvia

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4263 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:02 AM

Really really depends on structure size (NOT BONE SIZE, THERES NO SUCH THING AS "BIG BONED", people with taller/larger frame sizes *may* have slightly more bone mass bc they literally have extra inches worth on bone)
And also how weight (water, fat, muscle) is distributed
I'm 5'9" but i have a "small frame" so my wrist are 5.75"
"Beatus istos ille, circa pes ad terra" (Blessed art thou with thier feet to the ground)<p>-RUNNING IS LIFE-
H - 5'9" cw- 113.7

#7 sylvie_sylphide

sylvie_sylphide

shitty ballerina

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12107 posts
  • Locationfloating about

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:30 AM

Really really depends on structure size (NOT BONE SIZE, THERES NO SUCH THING AS "BIG BONED"

fwiw im pretty sure that when people say big/small boned they’re meaning bone structure /frame size anyway? they’re just using a different term to you / using terms interchangeably
  • ghostgarden, RubyRunes and Perfection-Obsession like this

5'7 / CW = 59.5kg / HW = 69kg / LW = 46kg / GW = 50-55kg

♡ accountability: whittling back down to waiflike

✿ probably on the tapatalk app and unable to see your sig ✿

#8 sylvie_sylphide

sylvie_sylphide

shitty ballerina

• Accountability access
  • 12107 posts
  • Locationfloating about

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:32 AM

Mine are: 31.5” bust, 22” waist, 32” hips, 17” upper thigh, 5.25” wrist. And I’m 5’7. I think height is a big factor.. there are runway models who are thinner than me but have bigger measurements because they are like 5’11.. the taller you are the harder it is to have ‘small’ measurements. Also bone structure plays a role , everyone is proportioned a little differently

i’m also 5’7 and have chased that 22” waist before. i wonder where we got that specific number

#9 jackalyvia

jackalyvia

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4263 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:00 AM

fwiw im pretty sure that when people say big/small boned they’re meaning bone structure /frame size anyway? they’re just using a different term to you / using terms interchangeably

I dont think so, a large majority of the people I've ever heard day it mean to say that they are big weight wise bc their bones are literally heavier
What is fwiw?
  • maladaptive_hoe likes this
"Beatus istos ille, circa pes ad terra" (Blessed art thou with thier feet to the ground)<p>-RUNNING IS LIFE-
H - 5'9" cw- 113.7

#10 sylvie_sylphide

sylvie_sylphide

shitty ballerina

• Accountability access
  • 12107 posts
  • Locationfloating about

Posted 12 January 2021 - 07:09 AM

I dont think so, a large majority of the people I've ever heard day it mean to say that they are big weight wise bc their bones are literally heavier
What is fwiw?

huh ok. even on here? on here i’ve only ever seen it used interchangeably (eg talking about features that are structural like ribcage width, and using terms like big bones). but also mpa is big enough that maybe i just haven’t seen what you have & vice versa

sorry, fwiw = for what it’s worth
  • jackalyvia, maladaptive_hoe and Perfection-Obsession like this

#11 Perfection-Obsession

Perfection-Obsession

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:40 AM

Big boned is 100% a thing like the size of your literal bones obviously differs depending on the person - just like literally every other part of a person can differ.

E.g. at 5”2 my wrists are 6” they are very boney- and do not decrease in size at all (currently 106 - but they were still 6” at 90lbs) - I have a big/ thick bone structure - you can see the bones of my ribs even at a bmi of like 22 because of this.

Where as someone with a smaller bones would have smaller wrist measurements and less likely to have visible bones at a high weight.

#12 sylvie_sylphide

sylvie_sylphide

shitty ballerina

• Accountability access
  • 12107 posts
  • Locationfloating about

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:49 AM

Big boned is 100% a thing like the size of your literal bones obviously differs depending on the person - just like literally every other part of a person can differ.

E.g. at 5”2 my wrists are 6” they are very boney- and do not decrease in size at all (currently 106 - but they were still 6” at 90lbs) - I have a big/ thick bone structure - you can see the bones of my ribs even at a bmi of like 22 because of this.

Where as someone with a smaller bones would have smaller wrist measurements and less likely to have visible bones at a high weight.

i do think bone size can have individual variation, but just an fyi: when you’re measuring your wrist, two bones make that up, so wrist size may still be more of a “structure” thing than purely down to bone size. or at least both factors would play a part there (and may affect each other — if someone has bones that are naturally a little wider, then areas where different bones meet each other like the wrist or elbow, would also be wider)

im kinda wishing someone who studied human bio / med would pop into this thread and drop some good facts / explain things better haha

#13 Cookie Doe

Cookie Doe

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:14 AM

For me personally a small waist is anything 24 inches & less. Small bust is anything 30 inches or less. I’ve only ever reached those measurements at my lowest weight.

Height: 5'1" | HW: 123 lbs. | LW: 95 lbs.

1 year, 7 months into recovery. Ten weeks pregnant. ❤️

Recovered physically, not mentally.

#14 jackalyvia

jackalyvia

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4263 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 12 January 2021 - 10:41 AM

This could help for the "bone size" debate

https://www.fitnessu...boned-big-myth/

This guy reviewed DEXA scans to measure the actual weight of 50 peoples bones and found it only varied from 5.25lbs in the shortest to 9.26lbs in the tallest
So when people usually say "I'm big bc I'm big boned" they're usually trying to say that BC OF THE "big-ness" of their bones they are heavy but theres only about a 6lb difference over almost a 2ft span of heights
So
You are not fat/heavy BC youre bones are "bigger"
H - 5'9" cw- 113.7

#15 protopope

protopope

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:30 AM

i’m also 5’7 and have chased that 22” waist before. i wonder where we got that specific number

Oh man I just realized I didn’t respond to the original question posed in the thread. Those are my current measurements lol but for me “small enough” is foolishly determined by weight and my mindset/perspective at any given time. Measurements are a more concrete indicator of size and/or weight loss but truthfully I’ve never obsessed about them as much as the arbitrary numbers on my scale.

To answer the original question, a waist measurement of < 24” is small in my mind. Sorry for misreading and I hope you all will forgiven my tangential musings. Lol

#16 skyfishing

skyfishing

B♡nkers Wh♡re

• Accountability access
  • 3924 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 03:41 AM

It's all about the proportions, truly.
Height: 5'1" (155 cm)
CW: 90.2 lbs (40.9 kg)
LW: 72 lbs (32.7 kg)
UGW: 84 lbs (38.1 kg)
ACCOUNTABILITY

#17 hambs

hambs

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 January 2021 - 05:46 AM

It's all about the proportions, truly.

i 100% agree. specifically, hips being larger can make a waist that looks mediocre on paper look INSANE irl, especially when paired with a long torso. i'm 5'2 and have a 22 inch waist, 21 at my LW and it's very unimpressive seeing as my hips are stagnant at 28-29 no matter what i do. 

• skyfishing likes this

21 | AN-B/P

HW: 127.8lbs / 58kg « BMI 23.5 ("recovery" lmao)

LW: 92.6lbs / 42kg « BMI 17

CW: 97.4lbs / 44.2kg « BMI 17.9

˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚ºººº˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚

GW1: 92.6lbs / 42kg / BMI 17

GW2: 88.2lbs / 40kg / BMI 16.2

GW3: 84lbs / 38kg / BMI 15.4

UGW: 79lbs / 35-36kg / BMI 14.5

˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚ºººº˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚

#18 Abi Chuela

Abi Chuela

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 04:38 PM

Feeling huge after reading this 😔

Will I be missed because of who I am or because of how they see me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users