Did Karen Carpenter Die From Refeeding Syndrome? - Page 2 - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Did Karen Carpenter Die From Refeeding Syndrome?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8564 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:27 PM

I always thought it was due to a bad b/p episode, coupled with taking ipecac. I could be wrong though

Yeah I agree with it being Ipecac syrup. I use to take that stuff and it nearly killed me. It's incredibly violent on your system.
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

Height: 5 foot 7 / 171cms,
Highest Weight: 180 pounds / 82 kgs, (BMI 28.0)
Lowest Weight: 85 pounds / 39 kgs, (BMI 13.3)

ULTIMATE GOAL WEIGHT (again): 85 pounds / 39 kgs OR LOWER!!!

#22 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 8564 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 May 2021 - 08:28 PM

I'm a huge Karen Carpenter fan aswell. I basically know the movie that was made, line by line. I was obsessed with her for ages.
I still love her music and the movie.
  • littlelightweight likes this
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

#23 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1867 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:10 AM

I'm a huge Karen Carpenter fan aswell. I basically know the movie that was made, line by line. I was obsessed with her for ages.
I still love her music and the movie.

Weren’t there multiple movies? The one with the Barbie dolls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • littlelightweight likes this

"Funny but it seems I always wind up here with you,

nice to know somebody loves me"

#24 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1867 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:11 AM

Yeah I agree with it being Ipecac syrup. I use to take that stuff and it nearly killed me. It's incredibly violent on your system.

True. Plus synthroids. Apparently she took a bunch of thyroid shit with a healthy thyroid to increase her metabolism.

#25 ANAtomist

ANAtomist

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3818 posts
  • LocationMed school

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:13 AM

I thought it's heart failure due to multiple behaviours associated wiht AN, including ipecac abuse. If I can somehow see the autopsy report I will know better

[Updated: Sept, 2021] 168cm | 36.4kg | BMI = 12.9

EDC: ANAtomist Da Vinci | Pancakes: ANAtomist van Beethoven

~ AN - r ~

#26 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1867 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:14 AM

yeah, apparently when she was found she had a REALLY slow heartbeat, and then she died at the hospital. ipecac is particularly dangerous because it doesn't only act on the stomach, but it does stuff in your brain, too, to make it sort of "panic". scary stuff.

I loved her music, too, OP. tragic, for sure. ):

Yeah, I never knew what ipecac was til reading about it on Ed forums and on her suspected cause of death. I wasn’t alive when it was around for general use.

It’s weird cuz lots of the stuff around her death seem not to add up. Like if she used ipecac, why was no gastric content found in the throat, and how would the stomach have stuff in it still? And what would cause the sudden blood spike?

• wrenoct likes this

#27 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1867 posts

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:17 AM

I thought it's heart failure due to multiple behaviours associated wiht AN, including ipecac abuse

Depends on where you read ig. Her brother said the only thing he knew to link to her death was her sudden weight gain in treatment. I think someone said she did use ipecac before, but idk if it was clarified how often that was or when, or if that contributed to it. Her hospital report gave hypersmolar (idk how to spell that, but it means high blood sugar) coma. The autopsy said emetic abuse but also listed no gastric content in throat and an anhydrous substance in the stomach. I think the night before her death she went out to eat with her family, and ate more at home and watched tv with them afterwards.

#28 ANAtomist

ANAtomist

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3818 posts
  • LocationMed school

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:19 AM

Depends on where you read ig. Her brother said the only thing he knew to link to her death was her sudden weight gain in treatment. I think someone said she did use ipecac before, but idk if it was clarified how often that was or when, or if that contributed to it. Her hospital report gave hypersmolar (idk how to spell that, but it means high blood sugar) coma. The autopsy said emetic abuse but also listed no gastric content in throat and an anhydrous substance in the stomach.

it's inconsistent. I saw the autopsy but it is not a full report. I am doing medicine atm and wanna be a forensic pathologist - I know how much the information can change just by reading the WHOLE, entire report. Still, there are so much inconsistencies and they can only deduce what the cause is or be as approximate as possible. I haven't gotten through the whole, entire thing yet. I don't think there is much of a very clear exact cause still to this day. All they can do is deduce 

[Updated: Sept, 2021] 168cm | 36.4kg | BMI = 12.9

EDC: ANAtomist Da Vinci | Pancakes: ANAtomist van Beethoven

~ AN - r ~

#29 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 8564 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:56 AM

Weren’t there multiple movies? The one with the Barbie dolls?

I never saw the Barbie dolls one. Just the One with Cynthia Gibb who played Karen Carpenter.
  • jpi332 likes this

#30 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 8564 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 10 June 2021 - 12:58 AM

True. Plus synthroids. Apparently she took a bunch of thyroid shit with a healthy thyroid to increase her metabolism.

Jesus. No wonder it was too much for her system to handle :(
  • jpi332 likes this

#31 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1867 posts

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:20 AM

Jesus. No wonder it was too much for her system to handle :(

Yeah, she took like 50-60 laxatives a day I think. Her doctor wasn’t surprised by that, but he was surprised that she was taking the thyroid stuff.

#32 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 8564 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 June 2021 - 12:25 AM

Yeah, she took like 50-60 laxatives a day I think. Her doctor wasn’t surprised by that, but he was surprised that she was taking the thyroid stuff.

I'm on 50 a day.

It's so sad. Just, the whole thing.
  • jpi332 likes this

#33 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1867 posts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:32 PM

I'm on 50 a day.

Ugh yeah, that sounds so bad.

• not_my_body likes this

#34 Noble

Noble

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 01:38 PM

I'm on 50 a day.

50 a day, how do you get off them now?
50 is too much, please do something about it.
  • not_my_body likes this

#35 littlelightweight

littlelightweight

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4641 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:19 PM

I think Karen diet of multiple causes. Her long time ED, abusing laxatives, water pills, ipecac, and thyroid medication. I saw the full autopsy. She also had a blood sugar over 1000 when she died, so was in a diabetic coma. Tha last year of her life she also gained from like  under 80 lbs to maybe 104. I think her body was just stressed and gave out. 

#36 pocket-sized

pocket-sized

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:33 PM

It was related to the ipecac & thyroid meds, I think? Only remember because a tactless bitch of a staff member doing meal support in IP told me Karen was 4 stone when she died and we ended up having a whole ass argument about it til I was able to google after dinner. Always stuck with me because at the time she wasn't, like, severely emaciated, and my dumb head finally realised you don't have to necessarily look like you're on death's door to...yeah. Her body had just had enough. It's really sad.

0qO16Sp.gif

diagnosed AN-R
CBMI: 15.2 
ick | outpatient

vegan for mother earth ❀

“I wish I wasn’t a girl who needed so much but a little free creature that slept in deserts and ran on clouds and lived on lilies.”

#37 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1867 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:34 PM

It was related to the ipecac & thyroid meds, I think? Only remember because a tactless bitch of a staff member doing meal support in IP told me Karen was 4 stone when she died and we ended up having a whole ass argument about it til I was able to google after dinner. Always stuck with me because at the time she wasn't, like, severely emaciated, and my dumb head finally realised you don't have to necessarily look like you're on death's door to...yeah. Her body had just had enough. It's really sad.

She was quite emaciated like a couple months before, and she did use thyroid meds…her brother thought that she died because of all the stress put on her heart through rapidly gaining weight.

That nurse sounds like an idiot, lmao

#38 jpi332

jpi332

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1867 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:34 PM

I think Karen diet of multiple causes. Her long time ED, abusing laxatives, water pills, ipecac, and thyroid medication. I saw the full autopsy. She also had a blood sugar over 1000 when she died, so was in a diabetic coma. Tha last year of her life she also gained from like under 80 lbs to maybe 104. I think her body was just stressed and gave out.

What could’ve caused a diabetic coma? How can ana do that?

#39 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 8564 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 September 2021 - 05:44 PM

50 a day, how do you get off them now?
50 is too much, please do something about it.

50 is very little for me. It was 120.

Ive been at this a long long long time hun. 30yrs.

I won't ever be coming off them. My body is beyond being able to have a bowel movement on its own.

#40 littlelightweight

littlelightweight

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4641 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 September 2021 - 04:16 PM

What could’ve caused a diabetic coma? How can ana do that?

hyeprosmolar coma, sorry. Due to a rapid intake of food, maybe a binge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users