Upsetting stereotypes about your race/culture. - Minorities - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Upsetting stereotypes about your race/culture.

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_T_sunami_*

Guest_T_sunami_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:45 PM

As is.

stray: "You don't sound like an islander"

Me: I'm sure everyone in your country has the same exact accent as you. 

stray: "you don't look like the typical islander"

Me: Hm! what do those look like?

:huh:  <_<  -_-

These days, I don't even bother. 

• Black Rose, Ofelia, Erikaaaaa and 2 others like this

#2 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6342 posts
  • LocationHunting Wabbits

Posted 09 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

That blacks are monkeys/apeish. I was called a monkey to my face a few days ago, which is bad enough.

But then there's this crappy stuff people share around Facebook and don't even know what it is.

My fiancé's friend's husband shared a video on Facebook about a month ago of a monkey going bat shit crazy over his reward of some sort of purple drink. The caption said "monkey loves his purple drank." Tell me that isn't racist and I'll cut off/out your reproductive organs.

My fiancé (btw, he's white) shared it because he thought the monkey's behavior was funny. I said "that's racist. Delete that post." He said "okay I'll take your word for it and delete it but then can you explain to me how it's racist?"

That is so frustrating. How does a group of people live alongside a group of different, oppressed people and not bother to find out who they are? My fiancé was raised in foster care. His most beloved foster family was a black family. He also stayed with them the longest. And still, he never made a dent in the history of oppression or the CONSTANT racism/bigotry we put up with.
  • Lotus.flr, Morgan le Fou, Black Rose and 27 others like this

tumblr_nx82elstqV1sscqwxo1_400.gif

#3 baileyrae

baileyrae

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2183 posts
  • LocationA tree house with a tyre swing

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:28 PM

smh. "monkey loves his purple drink."

buddah please bust these bitches?!

• Ofelia, littledarling, Head Binch and 4 others like this

U.N.I.T.Y

tumblr_mr6se8xqEI1qbvaudo1_250.giftumblr_mr6se8xqEI1qbvaudo4_250.giftumblr_mr6se8xqEI1qbvaudo5_250.gif

Taraf is an Iranian word signifying promises made to please someone without any intention to do what was promised.

what i look like...

Spoiler

what i'm mostly doing...

Spoiler

ignant shit!

Spoiler

#4 Guest_Changeling_*

Guest_Changeling_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2015 - 06:31 PM

I was once asked if any of my family had ever stolen someone's children (Thanks, Criminal Minds). That we're magic. That we're "from Romania". Then there's "I thought you guys only lived in Europe" or "That's still a thing? Looool." That we"'re thieves.

No, dumbass. Not all Romani lived in the middle ages, and try as they might, countries have yet to exterminate us. Yes, my ethnicity is 'still a thing'. Theft can be high among Romani populations because it was fucking illegal to employ them in many places for so long.

Why do I live in a conservative area. I hate everyone.
  • MaceyXS, KayCee, Ofelia and 9 others like this

#5 Ofelia

Ofelia

Omniscient

• Supporter
  • 4983 posts
  • LocationThe Yellow Wallpaper

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:23 PM

Just some stereotypes I've seen online and/or heard, seen, and experienced in real life.

All Latinos look the same.

All Latinos are Mexicans -> All Mexicans are illegal immigrants -> All illegal immigrants are vicious criminals

We all pop babies out like nobody's business.

We're all lazy and none of us work. Ever.

We're all very loud, crazy, sexy, fun, trashy, stupid, deviant, whatnot depending on which stereotype you're looking at.

We're soooooooo ~exotic~ and ~spicy~

We're dirty.

All Latinos are after a green card. No way we can actually fall in love with someone. No matter if we were born here. Nope. All about that green card.

We're all involved in drugs and gangs.

We all steal.

Men= fields/construction & Women= maids/nanas and that's it. We don't exist as anything else. There is no diversity unless you count criminal as a job in which case that's a stereotypical job for us as well.

"Anchor babies"

• gelato, MaceyXS, satan and 26 others like this

Some of the bravest and most inspiring people I have ever met:

TELL: Therapy Exploitation Link Line

Please don't hesitate to reach out to these lovely people if you ever find yourself in an abusive therapeutic setting.

You will find lots of understanding, emotional support, and possible resources.

They will believe you even when you have no hope.

Vhjyg.gif

Previous Avatars

Spoiler

#6 Guest_PsychopathPlus_*

Guest_PsychopathPlus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 May 2015 - 07:57 PM

How do I begin? I lean towards my Chinese/Thai side in appearance and most often I hear comments about my smaller eyes. In sixth grade, another girl that was sitting next to me at lunch and asked, "Can you see? Like your eyes are alot more stretched then a regular Asian."

There was also a girl at a table to my right when I was in a cafe and I looked out the window while saying, "I can barely see them." (My friend was there with me and she went across the street to McDonalds for a hamburger.) She comments loudly, "You could if you could open your eyes."

My dad is Mexican and whenever I go out in public with only him without my mom, people seem to get suspicious of the dark skinned man with a little Asian girl. I live in Florida and usually it doesn't get severe but one time a woman was holding her toddlers hand while walking over to us before asking me, "Are you safe Honey?" I was just trying to figure out which brand of muffin to get while holding my dads hand.

I would list more but I think that's enough for now.
  • KayCee, foreversmall, Ofelia and 5 others like this

#7 Empathia

Empathia

Omniscient

• Members
  • 2604 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 May 2015 - 09:41 PM

That we're drunks.

That we don't work.

That the government gives us money.

That's just what I read on MPA. It made me mad.

• KayCee, foreversmall, Ofelia and 9 others like this

Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing I can  do...

#8 babytofu

babytofu

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 May 2015 - 11:23 PM

"You have a small nose for a jew.."

"You're the reason why I'm broke! You took all my money!" 

"Are you sure you're mexican? You're really white..." I'm not mexican, I am Portuguese, which is a hispanic country. I guess people get confused when I say I'm hispanic lol.

• TaeMint, Ofelia, Vincent Price and 7 others like this

tumblr_loefpzMwiK1qg9aa7.gif

tumblr_mc7udghE4p1qbs47q.gif hw: 140 lbs tumblr_mc7udghE4p1qbs47q.gif

tumblr_mc7udbcwAx1qbs47q.gif cw: 120 lbs tumblr_mc7udbcwAx1qbs47q.gif

tumblr_mc7ucjpU011qbs47q.gif ugw: 90 lbs tumblr_mc7ucjpU011qbs47q.gif

tumblr_loefpzMwiK1qg9aa7.gif

vegan / cat lady / tea enthusiast /

ED instagram / ED tumblr /

#9 Empathia

Empathia

Omniscient

• Members
  • 2604 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:50 AM

Oh, wow, I had an unexpected racist night tonight.

So, my son's been bitching about having to read Little House on the Prairie for school. I'd just laugh and think, he doesn't like it because it's a "girl" book. I don't think I've actually ever read it before, which makes sense--my mother probably wouldn't allow it in the house, lol. Anyway, the book report is due soon, and he's been hating on it so much that I decided we'd curl up in his bed and I'd read him a couple of chapters, you know, help him out a little bit. Was I in for a shock! No wonder he hates it. In Wilder's book:

• Her family of white land thieves takes Indian (Osage) land without permission, yet whites are seen as good while Indians are seen as bad, wild and threatening.
  • Two characters say, “The only good Indian is a dead Indian.”
  • Later in the book there is a good, still-living Indian: one who is willing to fight his own people to protect white settlers.
  • Ma hates Indians. So does Jack, the family dog.
  • Descriptions of Indians:
  • “savages”
  • “screeching dev-“
  • “Their eyes were black and still glittering, like snake’s eyes.”
  • “The wild, fast yipping yells were worse than wolves.”
  • “Laura thought [Pa] would show her a papoose [baby Indian] some day, just as he had shown her fawns, and little bears, and wolves.”
  • Laura: “Pa, get me that little Indian baby … Oh, I want it! I want it! … Please, Pa, please!”
  • Ma: “Dear me, Laura, must you yell like an Indian? I declare, if you girls aren’t getting to look like Indians! Can I never teach you to keep your sunbonnets on?”
  • “Treaties or no treaties, the land belongs to folks that’ll farm it. That’s only common sense and justice.”

After I got over my shock, I said, "Dang, son, this book is racist! Laura wants a baby Indian, like it's a puppy!"

Then it was on. We read that book, looking for every racist thing in it and laughing our asses off. "They love to eat crackers! AHAHAHA! They like white sugar better than brown sugar! LMFAO! Red skin??? Who has red skin unless they have a really horrible rash? LOL!"

At the end, they get kicked out of their little house on the prairie because it's on Osage land. We're like, "Yes!!!"

All-in-all, I'd say it was a good learning experience about racial stereotypes. The book got read, we got some good laughs, and we discussed historical attitudes toward American Indians. We also learned "hi" in Cherokee. It's not "how," by the way. It's "siyo." My mom taught me that. Now my son knows it, too.

And Ma in Little House is a bitch. A total bitch.

• Maddie186, KayCee, foreversmall and 14 others like this

#10 Sugarfreeme

Sugarfreeme

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

That because of my skintone i'm automatically a racist.

• •Hęrmįt•, Granmamma, Vincent Price and 3 others like this

#11 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6342 posts
  • LocationHunting Wabbits

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:50 AM

That because of my skintone i'm automatically a racist.

Tbh though, you're racially insensitive "and that's the truth, Ruth." You were told all over the dreadlocks thread and you refuse to try to get it. That's why I remember who you are. You said something stupid and THEN I assumed you were whiter than a bag of sugar. So, in my case, my judgement isn't based on the color of your skin but on the content of your character.
  • reidbooty, Lotus.flr, Black Rose and 25 others like this

tumblr_nx82elstqV1sscqwxo1_400.gif

#12 ButtonsAligned

ButtonsAligned

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1349 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

As is.

stray: "You don't sound like an islander"

Me: I'm sure everyone in your country has the same exact accent as you. 

stray: "you don't look like the typical islander"

Me: Hm! what do those look like?

:huh:  <_<  -_-

These day, I don't even bother. 

Crude,

That was harsh and ignorance cuts deep.  I'm sorry this happened to you.

I've heard lots of labels over the years.

In college I was called a stinking Jew and shoved into a wall.

In the military I was once referred to as one of the wasted uniforms for being a woman.

More recently, in the neuro-physio clinic I was called a poser because I can, with crutches, get up from my wheelchair and walk a short distance.

I have to decide what I will choose for my self-identity and to hell with anyone else that doesn't get it.

Admittedly this is something I am really struggling with so I found your post hit a chord.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

• KayCee, Ofelia and awwwman like this

It's always a good time for tea.

Please visit my current art project gallery and feel free to leave comments .

depositphotos_83105252-stock-illustratio

#13 Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*

Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:48 AM

Oh, wow, I had an unexpected racist night tonight.

So, my son's been bitching about having to read Little House on the Prairie for school. I'd just laugh and think, he doesn't like it because it's a "girl" book. I don't think I've actually ever read it before, which makes sense--my mother probably wouldn't allow it in the house, lol. Anyway, the book report is due soon, and he's been hating on it so much that I decided we'd curl up in his bed and I'd read him a couple of chapters, you know, help him out a little bit. Was I in for a shock! No wonder he hates it. In Wilder's book:

• Her family of white land thieves takes Indian (Osage) land without permission, yet whites are seen as good while Indians are seen as bad, wild and threatening.
  • Two characters say, “The only good Indian is a dead Indian.”
  • Later in the book there is a good, still-living Indian: one who is willing to fight his own people to protect white settlers.
  • Ma hates Indians. So does Jack, the family dog.
  • Descriptions of Indians:
  • “savages”
  • “screeching dev-“
  • “Their eyes were black and still glittering, like snake’s eyes.”
  • “The wild, fast yipping yells were worse than wolves.”
  • “Laura thought [Pa] would show her a papoose [baby Indian] some day, just as he had shown her fawns, and little bears, and wolves.”
  • Laura: “Pa, get me that little Indian baby … Oh, I want it! I want it! … Please, Pa, please!”
  • Ma: “Dear me, Laura, must you yell like an Indian? I declare, if you girls aren’t getting to look like Indians! Can I never teach you to keep your sunbonnets on?”
  • “Treaties or no treaties, the land belongs to folks that’ll farm it. That’s only common sense and justice.”

After I got over my shock, I said, "Dang, son, this book is racist! Laura wants a baby Indian, like it's a puppy!"

Then it was on. We read that book, looking for every racist thing in it and laughing our asses off. "They love to eat crackers! AHAHAHA! They like white sugar better than brown sugar! LMFAO! Red skin??? Who has red skin unless they have a really horrible rash? LOL!"

At the end, they get kicked out of their little house on the prairie because it's on Osage land. We're like, "Yes!!!"

All-in-all, I'd say it was a good learning experience about racial stereotypes. The book got read, we got some good laughs, and we discussed historical attitudes toward American Indians. We also learned "hi" in Cherokee. It's not "how," by the way. It's "siyo." My mom taught me that. Now my son knows it, too.

And Ma in Little House is a bitch. A total bitch.

In one of the later Little House books Laura's dad acts in a minstrel show.

Yeah.

• Empathia and Ofelia like this

#14 SpikedCocoa

SpikedCocoa

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1617 posts
  • LocationIn Corgi Jail

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:01 AM

All latinas have huge butts and boobs and have tanned skin tone.
  • gelato, Black Rose, Pastelsandacid and 7 others like this

Here's a picture of me in Corgi Jail

de1b59f59dad306b843941fea0d138d8--rowan-

Height: 5'2 (158 cm)                  CW: 42.4 Kg ( BMI 17.3)

#15 Guest_T_sunami_*

Guest_T_sunami_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

That blacks are monkeys/apeish. I was called a monkey to my face a few days ago, which is bad enough.

But then there's this crappy stuff people share around Facebook and don't even know what it is.

My fiancé's friend's husband shared a video on Facebook about a month ago of a monkey going bat shit crazy over his reward of some sort of purple drink. The caption said "monkey loves his purple drank." Tell me that isn't racist and I'll cut off/out your reproductive organs.

My fiancé (btw, he's white) shared it because he thought the monkey's behavior was funny. I said "that's racist. Delete that post." He said "okay I'll take your word for it and delete it but then can you explain to me how it's racist?"

That is so frustrating. How does a group of people live alongside a group of different, oppressed people and not bother to find out who they are? My fiancé was raised in foster care. His most beloved foster family was a black family. He also stayed with them the longest. And still, he never made a dent in the history of oppression or the CONSTANT racism/bigotry we put up with.

lol Ya know in all honesty this whole monkey thing was new for me, just never had to deal with it were I come from and no one's said it to me since I've moved to america but I have heard about it and "purple juice". I don't get it so what if people like purple juice? wtf

How do I begin? I lean towards my Chinese/Thai side in appearance and most often I hear comments about my smaller eyes. In sixth grade, another girl that was sitting next to me at lunch and asked, "Can you see? Like your eyes are alot more stretched then a regular Asian."

There was also a girl at a table to my right when I was in a cafe and I looked out the window while saying, "I can barely see them." (My friend was there with me and she went across the street to McDonalds for a hamburger.) She comments loudly, "You could if you could open your eyes."

My dad is Mexican and whenever I go out in public with only him without my mom, people seem to get suspicious of the dark skinned man with a little Asian girl. I live in Florida and usually it doesn't get severe but one time a woman was holding her toddlers hand while walking over to us before asking me, "Are you safe Honey?" I was just trying to figure out which brand of muffin to get while holding my dads hand.

I would list more but I think that's enough for now.

Wow, i can't imagine how you deal with this! Do you ever actually tell people he's your dad!??! I live in florida too so i know what the people here are like. ugh!

"You have a small nose for a jew.."

"You're the reason why I'm broke! You took all my money!" 

"Are you sure you're mexican? You're really white..." I'm not mexican, I am Portuguese, which is a hispanic country. I guess people get confused when I say I'm hispanic lol.

People actually say "you took my money!" wtf!?!? This really sux.

What made them call you a Mexican!?!? Sounds like they just want to be antagonistic, don't even waste your time. 

Crude,

That was harsh and ignorance cuts deep.  I'm sorry this happened to you.

I've heard lots of labels over the years.

In college I was called a stinking Jew and shoved into a wall.

In the military I was once referred to as one of the wasted uniforms for being a woman.

More recently, in the neuro-physio clinic I was called a poser because I can, with crutches, get up from my wheelchair and walk a short distance.

I have to decide what I will choose for my self-identity and to hell with anyone else that doesn't get it.

Admittedly this is something I am really struggling with so I found your post hit a chord.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Do what's best for you and makes you happy.

When I was in my early to mid-teens on the INTERNET I remember someone writing "I thought you guys lived in trees and stuff", I was more amused than annoyed. 

• awwwman likes this

#16 Empathia

Empathia

Omniscient

• Members
  • 2604 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:55 AM

In one of the later Little House books Laura's dad acts in a minstrel show.

Yeah.

Yeah, I know! I read about that on the internet. Laura Ingalls Wilder books need to die out. They are SO dated.

• Ofelia and awwwman like this

#17 thiscrazyworld

thiscrazyworld

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:03 PM

Well my boss's boss's boss called me "his Cherokee princess" a couple times. But that's more in line with the sexual harassment of being a female in engineering. I swear to god if one more guy says the "sudo make me a sandwich" joke one more time I'll cut their balls off.
  • Black Rose, Empathia, Ofelia and 7 others like this

#18 Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*

Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:05 PM

Yeah, I know! I read about that on the internet. Laura Ingalls Wilder books need to die out. They are SO dated.

Heres the thing- I love them. These Happy Golden Years- such a great love story. 

I dont read any of the others because its just hard for me to stomach, but based on other things LIW said during her lifetime, I dont think she felt like her Ma (and other prejudiced whites)'s attitude was ok. I think this is one of those situations where 1) she made none of the decisions that were shitty, as a child (moving to Osage land, etc) and 2) for the time being was a product of her environment. Her daughter ended up speaking out against segregation and shit so Id have to think Laura was somewhat outspoken against racism in the ways she knew how.

• -cat-, Empathia, Ofelia and 1 other like this

#19 Guest_Hambone Fakenamington_*

Guest_Hambone Fakenamington_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:10 PM

"You must be good with money."

"Hey, I've heard Jewish boys make good husbands."

"Do you murder Palestinian babies?"

"Did you kill Jesus?"

"Have you found a nice Jewish girl? I know you people only marry each other."

"You do Christmas, right?"

"Are you related to a lot of lawyers?"

"You must have a high IQ."

"Really? Jewish? I thought you were Turkish or Greek or something."

"So what do you do? You must have a good job."

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I thought you people were kinda evil."

• TaeMint, Ofelia, awwwman and 2 others like this

#20 weed

weed

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1132 posts
  • Locationtaco bell toilet

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:37 PM

The whole "every Arab and every Muslim is a terrorist" thing

"The ululating thing means they're going to kill you" or something NOOOOO!!! We ululate at weddings...it's like cheering for the bride and groom <__<

All Arab men have like 10 wives

Women are all abused and are oppressed

Women are all forced to wear a head scarf

All Arabs are super rich (I am so  broke my family is super broke. I wish i was rich ;_; )

• Pastelsandacid, OreoWhore, Ofelia and 13 others like this

tumblr_nvdkg9EerU1qea57bo3_400.gif

stressed and depressed

HW: 155.5

CW: 144.8

GW 1: 145 (achieved)

GW 2: 140

UGW/GW 3: 135

UGW 2 (possibly): 130

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users