Upsetting stereotypes about your race/culture. - Page 2 - Minorities - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Upsetting stereotypes about your race/culture.

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Santa Pazienza_*

Guest_Santa Pazienza_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 12:38 PM

I am Brazilian and I've been living in Italy for 13 years now. I'm petite and white, so when I tell people my nationality they look at me up and down and say: "aren't you supposed to be black?". Less discrete people ask me why I am not curvy and tall since I am a latin american woman.

• ciggie-stardust, Ofelia, awwwman and 1 other like this

#22 Rorschach

Rorschach

Advanced Sage

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2483 posts
  • LocationHome

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

That:

~ Folks (especially males) who are attracted to the same sex are rapist pedophiles

~ Because I am an atheist I am an enemy to all of those who are religious and I cannot be your friend

~ Because I am a white male I am living the best life imaginable

~ Vegans are stuck-up self-absorbed bitches

When people say this I automatically want to throw the first thing I see at them.

*I'm honestly glad nobody has said this shit to me in woodshop class*

• Ofelia, Sugarfreeme, THINlizzy27 and 1 other like this

If you or someone you love from MPA is in a crisis come here.

Spoiler

The beautiful, perfect girlfriend that I love dearly more than anything in the world.

#23 Guest_PsychopathPlus_*

Guest_PsychopathPlus_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

lol Ya know in all honesty this whole monkey thing was new for me, just never had to deal with it were I come from and no one's said it to me since I've moved to america but I have heard about it and "purple juice". I don't get it so what if people like purple juice? wtf

Wow, i can't imagine how you deal with this! Do you ever actually tell people he's your dad!??! I live in florida too so i know what the people here are like. ugh!

People actually say "you took my money!" wtf!?!? This really sux.
What made them call you a Mexican!?!? Sounds like they just want to be antagonistic, don't even waste your time. 

Do what's best for you and makes you happy.

When I was in my early to mid-teens on the INTERNET I remember someone writing "I thought you guys lived in trees and stuff", I was more amused than annoyed.

I tell them and recently I'm trying to ignore them since it's actually starting to become more frequent *unamused face*

#24 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6342 posts
  • LocationHunting Wabbits

Posted 10 May 2015 - 01:20 PM

This isn't about my culture, but there's this thing about Muslim women who cover themselves:

Listen, you fucks (no one here.  Just general fucks out in the real world).  Especially in America, the majority of those women CHOOSE to dress modestly.  Stop pitying them for covering up "because men force them to."  They could just as easily pity you for walking around with your tits and ass out "because men force you to."  There are PLENTY of non-Muslim women who dress very modestly. 

- Almost every old lady you've ever met

- Some Jewish ladies

- Amish women

- Mennonite women

- Lots and lots of Christian and Catholic women

Stop acting like it's abnormal just because their method of covering can be different from ours or because they choose to cover more of themselves than other people might.  THIS PRACTICE IS RIDICULOUSLY COMMON IN OUR SOCIETY.

Get.

The fuck.

Over it.

• taylors, KayCee, 3ithne and 14 others like this

tumblr_nx82elstqV1sscqwxo1_400.gif

#25 Sugarfreeme

Sugarfreeme

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:08 PM

Tbh though, you're racially insensitive "and that's the truth, Ruth." You were told all over the dreadlocks thread and you refuse to try to get it. That's why I remember who you are. You said something stupid and THEN I assumed you were whiter than a bag of sugar. So, in my case, my judgement isn't based on the color of your skin but on the content of your character.

Hmm i wasn't talking about that, and i didn't say anything racist on that thread, (if i did please point it out)

also, i think we all can agree that thread was a mess.

#26 Guest_Jewel Renewal_*

Guest_Jewel Renewal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:18 PM

My skin is probably whiter than yours (sorry, that's sugar's, not yours, Vincent) and you know that you did participate in an anti-semitic joke, right?

Tbh though, you're racially insensitive "and that's the truth, Ruth." You were told all over the dreadlocks thread and you refuse to try to get it. That's why I remember who you are. You said something stupid and THEN I assumed you were whiter than a bag of sugar. So, in my case, my judgement isn't based on the color of your skin but on the content of your character.

#27 Guest_Jewel Renewal_*

Guest_Jewel Renewal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:20 PM

That blacks are monkeys/apeish. I was called a monkey to my face a few days ago, which is bad enough.

But then there's this crappy stuff people share around Facebook and don't even know what it is.

My fiancé's friend's husband shared a video on Facebook about a month ago of a monkey going bat shit crazy over his reward of some sort of purple drink. The caption said "monkey loves his purple drank." Tell me that isn't racist and I'll cut off/out your reproductive organs.

My fiancé (btw, he's white) shared it because he thought the monkey's behavior was funny. I said "that's racist. Delete that post." He said "okay I'll take your word for it and delete it but then can you explain to me how it's racist?"

That is so frustrating. How does a group of people live alongside a group of different, oppressed people and not bother to find out who they are? My fiancé was raised in foster care. His most beloved foster family was a black family. He also stayed with them the longest. And still, he never made a dent in the history of oppression or the CONSTANT racism/bigotry we put up with.

I am still floored by that pos who said, "I didn't know you were a monkey."

#28 Sugarfreeme

Sugarfreeme

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:39 PM

My skin is probably whiter than yours (sorry, that's sugar's, not yours, Vincent) and you know that you did participate in an anti-semitic joke, right?

What anti-semitic joke?

#29 Guest_Jewel Renewal_*

Guest_Jewel Renewal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:44 PM

What anti-semitic joke?

It was with that horrible Shitler dude and Sparkle on her lol at three hour ban thread. If it wasn't you then it was someone with your username.

#30 Guest_Jewel Renewal_*

Guest_Jewel Renewal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:49 PM

It was on April 20th. Your/your hacker's "nein" contribution was hilarious. :/ If you must contribute to something like that, how about calling out the anti-semitism? That way you can still have your say and do some good in the world.

#31 Sugarfreeme

Sugarfreeme

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:54 PM

It was on April 20th. Your/your hacker's "nein" contribution was hilarious. :/ If you must contribute to something like that, how about calling out the anti-semitism? That way you can still have your say and do some good in the world.

Can you post a link? i can't find it.

#32 Guest_Jewel Renewal_*

Guest_Jewel Renewal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:01 PM

no I can't do that on my phone but if you put the thread title "lol at 3 hour ban" in search you can look on page 2.

#33 institutionalizedeuphoria

institutionalizedeuphoria

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2511 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:14 PM

When people attempt our accent.

When everyone assumes we're part of the mafia. Like no, my grandfather came here from Genoa at 17 and became a professor in engineering. Fuck off.

When I'm assumed to be Irish because I have red hair... like no i know nothing of that culture and area. I'm only half white from my snooty dads side... defended from old world royalty or some shit. He didn't even raise me.

When my best friend said "Gypsies are like woodland fairies that are kinda slutty and steal children right?" .... no.... just no...

Oh the other day I was trying to explain o someone why the term gypsy was racist and she fucking argued with me saying it wasn't... She went on and on about how she'd done "gypsy dancing" and how it means free spirited. I can't even....

When white people freak when I cover my hair... like seriously? So many cultures cover their hair... It doesn't mean I'm Muslim. Even if I fucking was that's no reason to freak out...
  • baileyrae, aiaimay and lithium-dreams like this

tips&tricks

My Tumblr♥ 

thinspo

100px-Alchemy_air_symbol.svg.png

5'7" GW:123UGW:100

puking_emoticon_by_sheep0creator.gif

never take lax 

tumblr_odzdycCaW21qaw220o2_500.gif

#34 lemming99

lemming99

Omniscient

• Members
  • 9070 posts
  • LocationUK, the supermarket

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:23 PM

These are just terrible.

the worst thing about being a white women is the implication that i'm racist/intolerant, that sort of thing, people automatically assume your being racist, hey i might be having a bad day, i'm moody with everyone!.

• •Hęrmįt•, Sugarfreeme, hypocrite and 1 other like this

*eating 500 a day until New Year^, i could not be thin again if i tried. 

CW:131 lbs  , 5'4 

GW 1: 130 

GW 2:120  

GW 3:115 (new clothes, contact ex)

GW 4: 105 

UGW: 95 LBS

LW:102 lbs (2005)

They say i'm plump, but i  throw up all the time. 

#35 Sugarfreeme

Sugarfreeme

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:27 PM

no I can't do that on my phone but if you put the thread title "lol at 3 hour ban" in search you can look on page 2.

Oh, i know what you're talking about, that wasn't meant to be anti-Semitic, it was just a joke, i'm jewish by heritage.

#36 Guest_Jewel Renewal_*

Guest_Jewel Renewal_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 06:32 PM

Oh, i know what you're talking about, that wasn't meant to be anti-Semitic, it was just a joke, i'm jewish by heritage.

yeah well when you see that Gaydolf Shitler involved in something anti Semitic you should know that he is not seeing it as a joke. I don't know if he is also homophobic but with that as a "first name" he may well be.

#37 Guest_Hambone Fakenamington_*

Guest_Hambone Fakenamington_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:03 PM

I see the white people have showed up to complain that we stereotype them as all stereotyping us.

Because, you know, belonging to the privileged group and being accused of being racist is somehow on a par with belonging to an underprivileged group and being subjected to racism.

• reidbooty, foreversmall, FracturedPorcelain and 11 others like this

#38 baileyrae

baileyrae

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2183 posts
  • LocationA tree house with a tyre swing

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:18 PM

hey i might be having a bad day, i'm moody with everyone!.

tumblr_nb4knrGc4V1sfls6mo1_500.gif

*sigh*

well... it was only a matter of time.

• reidbooty, Empathia, Morbid-Melancholy and 2 others like this

U.N.I.T.Y

tumblr_mr6se8xqEI1qbvaudo1_250.giftumblr_mr6se8xqEI1qbvaudo4_250.giftumblr_mr6se8xqEI1qbvaudo5_250.gif

Taraf is an Iranian word signifying promises made to please someone without any intention to do what was promised.

what i look like...

Spoiler

what i'm mostly doing...

Spoiler

ignant shit!

Spoiler

#39 Empathia

Empathia

Omniscient

• Members
  • 2604 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 May 2015 - 08:51 PM

Heres the thing- I love them. These Happy Golden Years- such a great love story. 

I dont read any of the others because its just hard for me to stomach, but based on other things LIW said during her lifetime, I dont think she felt like her Ma (and other prejudiced whites)'s attitude was ok. I think this is one of those situations where 1) she made none of the decisions that were shitty, as a child (moving to Osage land, etc) and 2) for the time being was a product of her environment. Her daughter ended up speaking out against segregation and shit so Id have to think Laura was somewhat outspoken against racism in the ways she knew how.

Well, I'm just now getting over the shock of it. I expected wood chopping, sewing long dresses, farming, and maybe a little cholera. I didn't expect the in-your-face Indian hate. I know it's a historically accurate white American worldview, but I think if it's going to be required reading, the teacher should at least discuss the context (which she hasn't, unless my kid forgot all about it). I mean, they were hating on them and fearing them while they were squatting on their land.

My son and I both love to read, but I don't think we'll ever read another Laura Ingalls Wilder book again. We both hated Little House on the Prairie, and we made merciless fun of it. But he did read the whole 300-something pages of it! And he probably understands the book better than most of the other kids. It's a win.

Ma was a bitch. I think Laura didn't like her mother very much, and I don't blame her.

Planet Earth is blue, and there's nothing I can  do...

#40 Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*

Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

Well, I'm just now getting over the shock of it. I expected wood chopping, sewing long dresses, farming, and maybe a little cholera. I didn't expect the in-your-face Indian hate. I know it's a historically accurate white American worldview, but I think if it's going to be required reading, the teacher should at least discuss the context (which she hasn't, unless my kid forgot all about it). I mean, they were hating on them and fearing them while they were squatting on their land.

My son and I both love to read, but I don't think we'll ever read another Laura Ingalls Wilder book again. We both hated Little House on the Prairie, and we made merciless fun of it. But he did read the whole 300-something pages of it! And he probably understands the book better than most of the other kids. It's a win.

Ma was a bitch. I think Laura didn't like her mother very much, and I don't blame her.

You know, i dont really know how Laura felt about her Ma. Later books show her growing into her sassy teen phase, and she sasses her a bit, but by Golden Years shes calmed down. So shrug.

But i do think she portrayed her exactly as she was, no sugarcoating, because she knew she was wrong.
  • Empathia likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users