Upsetting stereotypes about your race/culture. - Page 3 - Minorities - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Upsetting stereotypes about your race/culture.

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#41 not a ghost

not a ghost

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Locationdefinitely not the astral plane

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:50 PM

That blacks are monkeys/apeish. I was called a monkey to my face a few days ago, which is bad enough.

But then there's this crappy stuff people share around Facebook and don't even know what it is.

My fiancé's friend's husband shared a video on Facebook about a month ago of a monkey going bat shit crazy over his reward of some sort of purple drink. The caption said "monkey loves his purple drank." Tell me that isn't racist and I'll cut off/out your reproductive organs.

My fiancé (btw, he's white) shared it because he thought the monkey's behavior was funny. I said "that's racist. Delete that post." He said "okay I'll take your word for it and delete it but then can you explain to me how it's racist?"

That is so frustrating. How does a group of people live alongside a group of different, oppressed people and not bother to find out who they are? My fiancé was raised in foster care. His most beloved foster family was a black family. He also stayed with them the longest. And still, he never made a dent in the history of oppression or the CONSTANT racism/bigotry we put up with.

Like...white psychology actually makes me so afraid sometimes.
  • KayCee, aiaimay and CaoimheLove like this

the ash burns your skin your eyes just water up
w9zjo1.jpg

#42 not a ghost

not a ghost

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 2010 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:28 PM

The drunk indian thing.
Tbh just because it hits close to home.

I usually don't face much face to face racist comments, but in my town where people know my family and my parents are darker people are shit heads...Idk there this one incident that's stuck with me.
Like 3 years ago I was coming back from doing a university art course that I won on scholarship (I was 17 and being an example of indigenous excellence lol) and the bus loop was right by this baseball park where my mom's beer league baseball team was playing that night so I went to see her. This guy offered me a drink and I said no and that I was underage(I drank at the time but it was just a convienent excuse to not drink with weird middle aged people)
And this drunk white girl said
"She's indian! The legal drinking age is 7 for them!"

w9zjo1.jpg

#43 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6342 posts
  • LocationHunting Wabbits

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:44 PM

The drunk indian thing.
Tbh just because it hits close to home.

I usually don't face much face to face racist comments, but in my town where people know my family and my parents are darker people are shit heads...Idk there this one incident that's stuck with me.
Like 3 years ago I was coming back from doing a university art course this I won on scholarship (I was 17 and being an example of indigenous excellence lol) and the bus loop was right by this baseball park where my mom's beer league baseball team was playing that night so I went to see her. This guy offered me a drink and I said no and that I was underage(I drank at the time but it was just a convienent excuse to not drink with weird middle aged people)
And this drunk white girl said
"She's indian! The legal drinking age is 7 for them!"

"Kill it with fire" has become my new favorite thing.

I'll just leave that there.

*as she walks away, a blowtorch falls to the ground.  She doesn't look back.*

• not a ghost likes this

tumblr_nx82elstqV1sscqwxo1_400.gif

#44 chocolatewaif

chocolatewaif

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4636 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:03 AM

Racist stereotypes perpetuated by people outside of my race (black) don't even bother me that much. It's the ones from people within my race that really irk me. 

Respectability politices - Oh if you acted like this and talked like this and did things like this, this wouldn't happen to you.

Black people who play up the special unicorn thing and think they're the best thing since sliced bread if they have all white friends or grew up a certain way. And then there are those that dislike if another black person comes around because they see it as that person trying to disrupt their place in their all-white group. 

I can't stand black men (and women for that matter) that get on the internet and talk trash about each other. I especially don't like how black women are degraded and made to feel like we're undesirable. And what's funny is that a lot of black men perpetuate that shit and then other races think they can as well. Black men that go on about how they date interracially because black women are so horrible. But then these are the ones that get even madder when they see a black woman dating interracially and all these women say is, I'm dating him because he makes me happy. 

That whole light skinned/dark skinned nonsense is for the birds. 

More so is the African Americans vs. Africans/Caribbean/West Indian crap too. 

I honestly think its black people who want to be on a pedestal because of their pedigree or "preferences" or whatever is what keeps "the black community" separated. More so that how much we supposedly kill each other and won't get educations and advance ourselves. 

I hate when its black people who say this crap, as if they themselves aren't prime examples that not all black people "are like that." But again, they want to be the special unicorn. 

But one thing that irks the fuck of me that people of other races say to me is, oh "I'm blacker than you" or "You're the whitest person I know" because of my tastes and the way I talk and carry myself. I'm like don't play that mess with me because if you wanted I could act the way you think I should act and you'd never speak to me again. Mkay! 

• gealaí páistí, KayCee, silhouette_dreams and 11 others like this

I wanna be special. So fucking special.

Height: 5'5"

Current: 121.5 | Start: 142 | Goal: 120 Ultimate: 110

#45 Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*

Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:13 AM

Racist stereotypes perpetuated by people outside of my race (black) don't even bother me that much. It's the ones from people within my race that really irk me.

Respectability politices - Oh if you acted like this and talked like this and did things like this, this wouldn't happen to you.

Black people who play up the special unicorn thing and think they're the best thing since sliced bread if they have all white friends or grew up a certain way. And then there are those that dislike if another black person comes around because they see it as that person trying to disrupt their place in their all-white group.

I can't stand black men (and women for that matter) that get on the internet and talk trash about each other. I especially don't like how black women are degraded and made to feel like we're undesirable. And what's funny is that a lot of black men perpetuate that shit and then other races think they can as well. Black men that go on about how they date interracially because black women are so horrible. But then these are the ones that get even madder when they see a black woman dating interracially and all these women say is, I'm dating him because he makes me happy.

I honestly think its black people who want to be on a pedestal because of their pedigree or "preferences" or whatever is what keeps "the black community" separated. More so that how much we supposedly kill each other and won't get educations and advance ourselves.

I hate when its black people who say this crap, as if they themselves aren't prime examples that not all black people "are like that." But again, they want to be the special unicorn.

But one thing that irks the fuck of me that people of other races say to me is, oh "I'm blacker than you" or "You're the whitest person I know" because of my tastes and the way I talk and carry myself. I'm like don't play that mess with me because if you wanted I could act the way you think I should act and you'd never speak to me again. Mkay!

I could start a whole thread on respectability politics. Mother fucker we did that "good negro" shit and they blew up our fucking houses so *blows raspberry*
  • KayCee, not a ghost, chocolatewaif and 3 others like this

#46 TheLastRainicorn

TheLastRainicorn

Omniscient

• Members
  • 2516 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:20 AM

"Have you found a nice Jewish girl? I know you people only marry each other."

LOL @ this.

Nooo, my Mom is ethnically Jewish, but she was raised Catholic (her single mother was Catholic) so, when she started dating Larry, whose parents were Orthodox Jews, apparently the Catholicism canceled that out...

She said his parents were so mean to her, and she would have to eat a big bowl of plain lentils whenever she went over for dinner with them, and I cannot for the life of me get her to eat them (I make them really good in soup, I promise).

Anyhow I'm wondering if that stereotype has to do with the religion rather than being ethnically Jewish, because people don't seem to realize that there is the Jewish ethnicity AND the Jewish religion so I get confused

Yeah huh

Also, I thought the Judas outed Jesus to the Roman Soldiers and they were the ones who crucified him?

Maybe I'm just stupid LOL, don't know my religions/histories!
  • ButtonsAligned likes this

#47 chocolatewaif

chocolatewaif

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4636 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:36 AM

I could start a whole thread on respectability politics. Mother fucker we did that "good negro" shit and they blew up our fucking houses so *blows raspberry*

Lol! Seriously. I love how every time something happens, respectability politics black folks are the first to remind people how unlike them black folk ova thea they are. But when something happens to one of them you don't hear boo. 

Like right after the Mike Brown shooting, there were reports about this black guy who's a well known producer in Hollywood, who has several bachelor and master degrees and drives a fancy car, who got detained by police for several hours when he was supposed to be on his way to the OSCARS because they said he fit the description of a person who'd committed a crime in the area. They cuffed him and made him sit on the curb in front of his fancy car for fours with no explanation. 

I heard not one black person who was yapping about how much of a thug Mike Brown was speak on that.

• KayCee, aiaimay, lithium-dreams and 2 others like this

I wanna be special. So fucking special.

Height: 5'5"

Current: 121.5 | Start: 142 | Goal: 120 Ultimate: 110

#48 Guest_metis_*

Guest_metis_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:50 AM

That because I'm African I can't speak English.

Being an African in America blows shit. I get looked down on by both whites AND African Americans. (Mind you, where I live.)

Apparently I :
Can't be smart
Can't be literate
Am not allowed to get higher grades than your dumbass kid
Am not allowed to play three instruments
Am not allowed to live in a majority white town
Am not allowed to go to a high ranking college

And to other African Americans, I'm an "Oreo" because I don't speak Ebonics and I get shit done.
  • KayCee, Vincent Price, baileyrae and 4 others like this

#49 Roadtonowhere

Roadtonowhere

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1036 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:58 AM

I'm a North American mix of  British, Irish, Metis, and Polish. I identify with all of these cultures somewhat and love my mixed heritage. I have an eastern European last name that is admittedly pretty incomprehensible to most English people. I look generically white, but once people know my last name I apparently look Polish? I'm often asked where I'm from, told that I speak English well or spoken to very slowly as if I don't speak English, and asked about 'my people' (like, which ones? I know the most about the British and Metis branch of my family). Like all the time! Just the other day an HR person asked me about my visa status and was so apologetic when I told her I was born here. 

I fully recognize my white privilege in being able to shrug it off with an eye roll or confront people with jokes about their assumptions, but I find it really infuriating that my last name marks me as 'foreign' in a mixed immigrant culture. As if there are accepted new world last names and my Polish family should have anglicized the spelling of their surname or something? The complicated spelling should have worn off after 4 generations? Not even getting into what people assume about eastern europeans. English might be the official language here but I'm really sorry, unless you're first nations your family also came here from elsewhere. Willingly or otherwise. Just stop it with the weird assumptions. 

• Marishka likes this

5' 3"

SW: 132

CW: 120 

GW: 118

LW: 84 

#50 Guest_sk1nny100_*

Guest_sk1nny100_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2015 - 12:12 PM

That black girls are ugly, rude, mean, sluts, masculine, and unworthy of love, protection and basic human decency. It's truly hurtful how people often treat us and don't care how much it hurts. It's a big contributing factor to my ED :/
  • KayCee, foreversmall, not a ghost and 7 others like this

#51 Marishka

Marishka

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts
  • LocationCET

Posted 11 May 2015 - 01:36 PM

"You must be good with money."

"Hey, I've heard Jewish boys make good husbands."

"Do you murder Palestinian babies?"

"Did you kill Jesus?"

"Have you found a nice Jewish girl? I know you people only marry each other."

"You do Christmas, right?"

"Are you related to a lot of lawyers?"

"You must have a high IQ."

"Really? Jewish? I thought you were Turkish or Greek or something."

"So what do you do? You must have a good job."

"Don't take this the wrong way, but I thought you people were kinda evil."

Seems that your fellow Australians aren't realist enough to notice realize that not all Jews are Ashkenazi Jews?  :P

https://www.youtube....h?v=7R-hTToDRzs

Stats:

H: 186cm / 6'1"
HW: 100kg / 220lbs (BMI: 28.9)
LW: 56kg / 123lbs (BMI: 16.2; waist: 63cm / 25"; hips: 88cm / 35") 

Mission:

"Discipline is remembering what you want"
I want my body to have measurements of a female fashion model, flexibility and strength of a yogi, endurance of a marathon runner.

"While intent is the seed of manifestation, action is the water that nourishes the seed."
To nourish my seed I diet, do yoga, hike and run.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
Dieting, yoga, hiking and running will eventually become my habit. 

Thinspos:

#52 Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*

Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2015 - 03:56 PM

That black girls are ugly, rude, mean, sluts, masculine, and unworthy of love, protection and basic human decency. It's truly hurtful how people often treat us and don't care how much it hurts. It's a big contributing factor to my ED :/

YES ALL OF THIS
Black women are queens and its about time we were treated as such
  • Kanohane, onelasthopee and goodbyesolong like this

#53 timmie_quinn

timmie_quinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 May 2015 - 05:52 PM

I hate that because I'm black, I'm expected to hae fake hair and be ghetto...

like I grew up in the suburbs not the projects the ghetto w.e. 

• •Hęrmįt• and Fast.Fading like this

Height: 5'11"
HW & SW: 260

GW: 240

GW1 (CW): 220
GW2: 200
GW3: 180
GW4: 160
GW5: 150
UGW: 130

My Blog!!: lifewithmybestfriendana.wordpress.com

Thin Commandments

1) If you aren't thin, you aren't attractive

2) Being thin is more important than being healthy

3) You must buy clothes, cut your hair, take laxatives, anything to make yourself look thinner

4) Thou shall not eat without feeling guilty

5) Thou shall not eat fattening food without punishing afterwards

6) Thou shall count calories and restrict intake accordingly

7) What the scale says is the most important thing

8) Losing weight is good, gaining weight is bad

9) You can never be to thin

10) Being thin and not eating are signs of true will power and success.

#54 baileyrae

baileyrae

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 2183 posts
  • LocationA tree house with a tyre swing

Posted 11 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

That because I'm African I can't speak English.
Being an African in America blows shit. I get looked down on by both whites AND African Americans. (Mind you, where I live.)

*hugs*

i hope nobody has turned their mouths to make clicking noises at you—yet. bastards!

we start immediately gossiping in either french (for the usa) or spanish (in europe), and tswana (in africa & asia) when people make assumptions about my family.

and then we laugh really obnoxiously to make them uncomfortable.

it helps to have family around you, and a community of expats.

as for not speaking or understanding ebonics; i only recently figured out what a beadie bead (spelling?) was because i'd never seen them before lol  :blink:

chalk your experience up to people in "our" (black people) community misunderstanding us.

we're not there to steal jobs, or husbands. we're there to win at life, just like them.

• not a ghost, Marishka and goodbyesolong like this

U.N.I.T.Y

tumblr_mr6se8xqEI1qbvaudo1_250.giftumblr_mr6se8xqEI1qbvaudo4_250.giftumblr_mr6se8xqEI1qbvaudo5_250.gif

Taraf is an Iranian word signifying promises made to please someone without any intention to do what was promised.

what i look like...

Spoiler

what i'm mostly doing...

Spoiler

ignant shit!

Spoiler

#55 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6342 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

Black men that go on about how they date interracially because black women are so horrible. But then these are the ones that get even madder when they see a black woman dating interracially 

*enthusiastic "Praise Jesus" style applause*

• not a ghost and chocolatewaif like this

#56 Guest_sk1nny100_*

Guest_sk1nny100_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:32 PM

This thread is so refreshing!

I really cant relate to most of the stuff I see on this site.

• Vincent Price likes this

#57 not a ghost

not a ghost

Advanced Sage

• Members
  • 2010 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:20 AM

Dang dude I wish I could give you a hug or something :(

w9zjo1.jpg

#58 Xia_flies

Xia_flies

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:25 AM

"You're an overweight white girl with a smart phone. You must be so rich and privileged!!"

No. Fuck you.

Lbs ive lost since starting over: 10
Lbs to lose before I'm back to my original starting weight: 19.6
Lbs to lose before I'm not obese: 41.6
lbs to lose before I'm "normal": 70.6
lbs to lose until im underweight: 104.6
lbs to lose before my ugw: 126.6
weight.png
tbh, this is more of just so I can see the physical weight dropping...
"feeling so easy; make me skin and bones"-Skin and Bones, Marianas trench
Days Binge Free: 0
How many times i have to lose 5lbs before getting to my ugw: 26 times
next 5lb goal: 220

#59 vaporeon

vaporeon

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1193 posts
  • LocationMy pokeball

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:39 AM

It's so awkward when people assume doing my hair is such a long process. Like takes me hours to have it looking flawless. Like it's such a hassle. Uh, I was born with this hair. I've had 26 years to learn how to master it, thanks. You see, what's a hassle is straightening it and keeping it straight. I typically don't work against my hair, but with it.

Very condescending.

Speaking hair, don't fucking touch it. I never suddenly had the urge to touch straight hair out of curiosity simply because it's uncommon in my community. The nerve.

When people think you're that "safe black" to talk down about other blacks (usually those who are darker.) surprise! Incognito negro.

Just because you're a white man doesn't mean I need you to save me from my alleged poverty and poor dating choices. Quite the contrary. If your own women are avoiding you, I should probably do so as well.

Racial slurs are kind of weird in real life. I've had them thrown towards me but I carry myself like I'm greater than anyway. They seem to be from people who always had less than myself and my family. Weird. Probably pisses a lot of them off. (You know, "uppity blacks" and what not.)

I can't stand black men (and women for that matter) that get on the internet and talk trash about each other. I especially don't like how black women are degraded and made to feel like we're undesirable. And what's funny is that a lot of black men perpetuate that shit and then other races think they can as well. Black men that go on about how they date interracially because black women are so horrible. But then these are the ones that get even madder when they see a black woman dating interracially and all these women say is, I'm dating him because he makes me happy.

Not the special unicorn blacks!
Lol there are so many of them that it's a mystery as to why they haven't found each other to tap dance towards the sunset.

Actually, no it's not. They don't want to be anything other than the special negro. Convinced that there couldn't possibly be other black people who like alternative music, anime and anything else stereotypically non-black.

I personally like to listen to hard core rap and hip hop while playing the Pokemon trading game game online. It relaxes me for a strategic battle.
  • foreversmall, Vincent Price and goodbyesolong like this

#60 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6342 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

Speaking hair, don't fucking touch it. I never suddenly had the urge to touch straight hair out of curiosity simply because it's uncommon in my community. The nerve.

When I explain to people why I don't want them to touch my hair (either after they've asked or after I've slapped their grimy hand away), they frequently make the claim that they touch all their friends' hair. 

Why?  Why haven't I seen white girls petting each other's heads?  And even if they do routinely do this, even if they do... OTHER PEOPLE'S PERSONAL BOUNDARIES ARE NOT MY PERSONAL BOUNDARIES.

What in the what are these people thinking?

• marinavi and onelasthopee like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users