Upsetting stereotypes about your race/culture. - Page 4 - Minorities - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Upsetting stereotypes about your race/culture.

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*

Guest_Faline the Fiiiiine_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:21 PM

It's so awkward when people assume doing my hair is such a long process. Like takes me hours to have it looking flawless. Like it's such a hassle. Uh, I was born with this hair. I've had 26 years to learn how to master it, thanks. You see, what's a hassle is straightening it and keeping it straight. I typically don't work against my hair, but with it.

Very condescending.

Speaking hair, don't fucking touch it. I never suddenly had the urge to touch straight hair out of curiosity simply because it's uncommon in my community. The nerve.

When people think you're that "safe black" to talk down about other blacks (usually those who are darker.) surprise! Incognito negro.

Just because you're a white man doesn't mean I need you to save me from my alleged poverty and poor dating choices. Quite the contrary. If your own women are avoiding you, I should probably do so as well.

Racial slurs are kind of weird in real life. I've had them thrown towards me but I carry myself like I'm greater than anyway. They seem to be from people who always had less than myself and my family. Weird. Probably pisses a lot of them off. (You know, "uppity blacks" and what not.)

Not the special unicorn blacks!
Lol there are so many of them that it's a mystery as to why they haven't found each other to tap dance towards the sunset.

Actually, no it's not. They don't want to be anything other than the special negro. Convinced that there couldn't possibly be other black people who like alternative music, anime and anything else stereotypically non-black.

I personally like to listen to hard core rap and hip hop while playing the Pokemon trading game game online. It relaxes me for a strategic battle.

I need a fucking shirt that says incognito negro
  • HisSummerOfSin, Sugarfreeme and chocolatewaif like this

#62 chocolatewaif

chocolatewaif

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4636 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 03:27 PM

I need a fucking shirt that says incognito negro

I want one too!!  :lol:

• HisSummerOfSin and elliexoxo like this

I wanna be special. So fucking special.

Height: 5'5"

Current: 121.5 | Start: 142 | Goal: 120 Ultimate: 110

#63 ButtonsAligned

ButtonsAligned

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1349 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 May 2015 - 09:33 AM

LOL @ this.

Nooo, my Mom is ethnically Jewish, but she was raised Catholic (her single mother was Catholic) so, when she started dating Larry, whose parents were Orthodox Jews, apparently the Catholicism canceled that out...

She said his parents were so mean to her, and she would have to eat a big bowl of plain lentils whenever she went over for dinner with them, and I cannot for the life of me get her to eat them (I make them really good in soup, I promise).

Anyhow I'm wondering if that stereotype has to do with the religion rather than being ethnically Jewish, because people don't seem to realize that there is the Jewish ethnicity AND the Jewish religion so I get confused

Yeah huh

Also, I thought the Judas outed Jesus to the Roman Soldiers and they were the ones who crucified him?

Maybe I'm just stupid LOL, don't know my religions/histories!

Lastrainicorn - that you for sharing your comments. 

As an orthodox jew in a modern world I think I hear what you are saying and I would like to keep in touch if you are up for that. 

I'm trying hard to figure out this world and I learn so much from the folks on this forum . 

My cultural world is so far from the mainstream that I fell like I have one foot in two different worlds, living in two different eras at times.  

My father was Anglican and my mother a non-practicing Jew. Mom's mother was orthodox Jew and so is my husband.  That fact that this needs to be explained to understand my position just shows how complicated this is in a matralinier religion. 

At 45 I'm going back to university to study art and I'm meeting so many different people that it is a bit overwhelming, - for them as much as me I think. Typically, orthodox Jewish women don't go so far from the core of our communities and to go to an art class with a nude model - well it's scandalous and just wouldn't be tolerated by my 'community' so I guess I'm just not going to talk about it.

Your comment about "what that stereotype has to do with the religion rather than being ethnically Jewish" is something that I struggle with every day. 

The ethnicity and the religion seem so far apart for me. 

My husband and I choose to live a 'Chabad-Canadian' lifestyle - which has been described as the "tree-hugging hippy jews"  so we are much more open to discussion and perspectives than some people expect us to be. My experience with discussing religion with others is that we tend to surprise people when we are open and non-judgemental. I want to learn about the people who live beyond the tip of our circle - there are so many cultures to learn from  - in a way that makes me difficult for women in my 'community' to make friends with me and I see that they struggle to keep me in the loop. 

It's always a good time for tea.

Please visit my current art project gallery and feel free to leave comments .

depositphotos_83105252-stock-illustratio

#64 •Hęrmįt•

•Hęrmįt•

Advanced Ana Sage

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11359 posts
  • LocationNorthEast USA

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

"You have a small nose for a jew.."
"You're the reason why I'm broke! You took all my money!"
"Are you sure you're mexican? You're really white..." I'm not mexican, I am Portuguese, which is a hispanic country. I guess people get confused when I say I'm hispanic lol.

I thought Portugal and Brazil weren't Hispanic but their own race. Like their language of Portuguese.
I have been given a warning for posting the link to a petition to get Amber removed from the site. Said member has posted my personal information on the site as well as harassed and hazed multiple members. This member calls others vulgar names, makes fun of people's weight, and various other aspects of other members they create drama about. If you'd like to know who and would like to sign my petition please PM me.

My other petition is below.

Petition to unlock the Bitchy comments Thread http://www.petitions..._back_bc_thread

#65 •Hęrmįt•

•Hęrmįt•

Advanced Ana Sage

• Banned
  • 11359 posts
  • LocationNorthEast USA

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:41 PM

Tbh though, you're racially insensitive "and that's the truth, Ruth." You were told all over the dreadlocks thread and you refuse to try to get it. That's why I remember who you are. You said something stupid and THEN I assumed you were whiter than a bag of sugar. So, in my case, my judgement isn't based on the color of your skin but on the content of your character.

Based on character but disses skin color. Psssshhhhhh
  • Sugarfreeme likes this
I have been given a warning for posting the link to a petition to get Amber removed from the site. Said member has posted my personal information on the site as well as harassed and hazed multiple members. This member calls others vulgar names, makes fun of people's weight, and various other aspects of other members they create drama about. If you'd like to know who and would like to sign my petition please PM me.

Petition to unlock the Bitchy comments Thread http://www.petitions..._back_bc_thread

#66 babytofu

babytofu

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

I thought Portugal and Brazil weren't Hispanic but their own race. Like their language of Portuguese.

because i live in the states, when taking state tests or filling out important documents, i have to put hispanic as that is the closest option. i'm not latino because i don't come from a spanish speaking country (although i know spanish). what i'd be classified as is Lusófonos but nobody really goes by that so hispanic is all i have. "The Department of Transportation recognizes Portuguese as Hispanic, as does the Small Business Administration, but the Census Bureau still does not. And in 2020, it will recognize the Portuguese and Brazilians as something, but just what remains to be seen." so oh well. hope i cleared that up!

tumblr_loefpzMwiK1qg9aa7.gif

tumblr_mc7udghE4p1qbs47q.gif hw: 140 lbs tumblr_mc7udghE4p1qbs47q.gif

tumblr_mc7udbcwAx1qbs47q.gif cw: 120 lbs tumblr_mc7udbcwAx1qbs47q.gif

tumblr_mc7ucjpU011qbs47q.gif ugw: 90 lbs tumblr_mc7ucjpU011qbs47q.gif

tumblr_loefpzMwiK1qg9aa7.gif

vegan / cat lady / tea enthusiast /

ED instagram / ED tumblr /

#67 •Hęrmįt•

•Hęrmįt•

Advanced Ana Sage

• Banned
  • 11359 posts
  • LocationNorthEast USA

Posted 15 May 2015 - 01:57 PM

because i live in the states, when taking state tests or filling out important documents, i have to put hispanic as that is the closest option. i'm not latino because i don't come from a spanish speaking country (although i know spanish). what i'd be classified as is Lusófonos but nobody really goes by that so hispanic is all i have. "The Department of Transportation recognizes Portuguese as Hispanic, as does the Small Business Administration, but the Census Bureau still does not. And in 2020, it will recognize the Portuguese and Brazilians as something, but just what remains to be seen." so oh well. hope i cleared that up!

Oh I see. I know a group of Portuguese men and I never new this. That's why I wanted to know.

#68 Guest_DarkTulip_*

Guest_DarkTulip_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

I'm Irish-American. I hope it's ok to post here. I think my experience could add to this topic - although I certainly understand that while it it is frustrating to me, it is not as harmful as some other stereotypes unfairly experienced by others who have shared.

I hate the "Irish people are drunks" stereotype - stupid drunks getting into stupid bar fights. It's always the first reference - forget Joyce, Yeats, Wilde, Irish music, or the story of a small country winning independence from one of the world's most powerful empires after a history of real suffering.

However, I wouldn't ever compare this to some of the horrible experiences that have been shared on this thread.
  • Vincent Price, Marishka and bulimic_letdown like this

#69 Guest_MySkinnyFat_*

Guest_MySkinnyFat_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:47 PM

That blacks are monkeys/apeish. I was called a monkey to my face a few days ago, which is bad enough.
But then there's this crappy stuff people share around Facebook and don't even know what it is.
My fiancé's friend's husband shared a video on Facebook about a month ago of a monkey going bat shit crazy over his reward of some sort of purple drink. The caption said "monkey loves his purple drank." Tell me that isn't racist and I'll cut off/out your reproductive organs.
My fiancé (btw, he's white) shared it because he thought the monkey's behavior was funny. I said "that's racist. Delete that post." He said "okay I'll take your word for it and delete it but then can you explain to me how it's racist?"
That is so frustrating. How does a group of people live alongside a group of different, oppressed people and not bother to find out who they are? My fiancé was raised in foster care. His most beloved foster family was a black family. He also stayed with them the longest. And still, he never made a dent in the history of oppression or the CONSTANT racism/bigotry we put up with.

I can honestly say that I dont think it's racist. It's an animal doing something ridiculous. We laugh when dogs chase their tails, and when cats do stupid shit like cram themselves into a jar. Why can't it be funny for a monkey to do something stupid because it likes something? Believe it or not, not everyone is out to get you for being black. Some people just like to laugh at monkeys.
  • •Hęrmįt• likes this

#70 Self-Deprivation

Self-Deprivation

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

I can honestly say that I dont think it's racist. It's an animal doing something ridiculous. We laugh when dogs chase their tails, and when cats do stupid shit like cram themselves into a jar. Why can't it be funny for a monkey to do something stupid because it likes something? Believe it or not, not everyone is out to get you for being black. Some people just like to laugh at monkeys.

The animal's behavior wasn't what made it a racial slur -- it was the equation of the monkey's behavior to that of a black person. I'm guessing you must have missed that part of it somehow since your post doesn't address the equivalency made by the "purple drank" caption.

• Ofelia, Marishka and goodbyesolong like this

#71 Elle Bunny 🐰

Elle Bunny 🐰

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts
  • LocationNorth England

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:21 PM

Bringing a more light-hearted one to the table

"Warm beer, it's a British thing"

I legit saw this on a tshirt in florida.

What? no it isn't. I've no idea where this started from but don't ever crack this joke in england, you'll get side-eyed and possibly even a strongly worded letter.

I can only think it's because we don't leg it to the fridge with the beer as soon as we get home because typically it's never warm enough over here to actually affect the temperature of our booze.

#72 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6342 posts
  • LocationHunting Wabbits

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:42 PM

The fact that black people are regularly equated to monkeys and that they called this shit "purple DRANK" made it racist.  Had they said purple drink, there would have been some doubt.  Purple drank makes there comparison between blacks and monkeys undeniable.

• Marishka likes this

tumblr_nx82elstqV1sscqwxo1_400.gif

#73 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6342 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:43 PM

The animal's behavior wasn't what made it a racial slur -- it was the equation of the monkey's behavior to that of a black person. I'm guessing you must have missed that part of it somehow since your post doesn't address the equivalency made by the "purple drank" caption.

lmao.  I responded and then I saw your comment.

Dead on.

:D

• Self-Deprivation likes this

#74 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6342 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 05:44 PM

I'm Irish-American. I hope it's ok to post here. I think my experience could add to this topic - although I certainly understand that while it it is frustrating to me, it is not as harmful as some other stereotypes unfairly experienced by others who have shared.

I hate the "Irish people are drunks" stereotype - stupid drunks getting into stupid bar fights. It's always the first reference - forget Joyce, Yeats, Wilde, Irish music, or the story of a small country winning independence from one of the world's most powerful empires after a history of real suffering.

However, I wouldn't ever compare this to some of the horrible experiences that have been shared on this thread.

My first semester at college I had a roommate who was a foreign student from Ireland.  She literally cried over this because people made this joke all the time like it was no big deal.

:(

#75 Guest_T_sunami_*

Guest_T_sunami_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

Black girls CAN'T have names like "Shannon"  -_-

Today I was at a Aquatic event and in the midst of my presentation I here someone walk up this very tan European woman with dyed red hair, her name is "Mia" so the person asked her if her name was "Shannon". Now I don't even know why she didn't tell her she was standing right next to the person she was looking for but I was just like....I'm busy anyway haha! So she goes over to another white person asking the same question (Why did no one point me out!??!lol) I'm never in the mood to chase anyone so I watched her as she searched haha EVENTUALLY she turns to a guy and ask him (only after 30mins or so, guys I'm dying hahahahhahaha) and ya know what!?!?! He said, "go ask her" (pointing at me), should of seen her face when I told her my last name.  :rolleyes:

If I have a child I'll name it "Sharkeisha"!! 

I'm actually really annoyed with people that make name's like that but I mean...if you like it. 

Anyone hear of "Airwrecka" and "Darealyst Johnson" !?!??!

These are true stories guys!!!  :(  :(  :(

• Empathia likes this

#76 Sz2pinkQueen

Sz2pinkQueen

Advanced Warrior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 06:35 AM

That being browner or more tan automatically equates to being called "too ethnic" looking. And because of skin tone, eyes,and hair color, I am automatically put in a certain category that will never meet or exceed the 10 category of blonde hair and blue/light eyes

• Leonnoire likes this

height 5'7''

hw- 234

cw- 190

cw- 170

lw- 130

gw- 123

ugw- 115

reallyreallybad.nocrop.w529.h235.gif

#77 Guest_sk1nny100_*

Guest_sk1nny100_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:24 PM

I HATE the stereotype that black people are less intelligent than other races. I hate when people are surprised that I'm "so articulate" or that I "don't talk like other black people." It's disgusting.

I'm  reluctant to speak to people in any situation because I feel like when I speak, I have to represent all black people and if I mispronounce a word or stumble over my words, people automatically assume it's because I'm black and therefore stupid.

• chocolatewaif, onelasthopee and Kard like this

#78 Guest_sk1nny100_*

Guest_sk1nny100_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:38 PM

Black girls CAN'T have names like "Shannon"  -_-

Today I was at a Aquatic event and in the midst of my presentation I here someone walk up this very tan European woman with dyed red hair, her name is "Mia" so the person asked her if her name was "Shannon". Now I don't even know why she didn't tell her she was standing right next to the person she was looking for but I was just like....I'm busy anyway haha! So she goes over to another white person asking the same question (Why did no one point me out!??!lol) I'm never in the mood to chase anyone so I watched her as she searched haha EVENTUALLY she turns to a guy and ask him (only after 30mins or so, guys I'm dying hahahahhahaha) and ya know what!?!?! He said, "go ask her" (pointing at me), should of seen her face when I told her my last name.  :rolleyes:

If I have a child I'll name it "Sharkeisha"!! 

I'm actually really annoyed with people that make name's like that but I mean...if you like it. 

Anyone hear of "Airwrecka" and "Darealyst Johnson" !?!??!

These are true stories guys!!!  :(  :(  :(

Speaking as a black person with the name "Cassandra," I can totally relate to what you're saying. However, I don't think that having a name like Sharkeisha is a bad thing. Ethnic people shouldn't abandon their culture and identities just to assimilate. It's the stigma attached to those names that needs to go away. For instance, Shaniqua means 'God is Gracious' and comes from African/South African descent and the notion that it is somehow worse than a name like 'Heather' is dumb.

• HisSummerOfSin likes this

#79 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6342 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:42 PM

Speaking as a black person with the name "Cassandra," I can totally relate to what you're saying. However, I don't think that having a name like Sharkeisha is a bad thing. Ethnic people shouldn't abandon their culture and identities just to assimilate. It's the stigma attached to those names that needs to go away. For instance, Shaniqua means 'God is Gracious' and comes from African/South African descent and the notion that it is somehow worse than a name like 'Heather' is dumb.

*likes*

Imma name my first son Pharaoh.

My fiance doesn't know yet.

#80 Vincent Price

Vincent Price

Omniscient

• Members
  • 6342 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:46 PM

That my mother's litter of (just 4) children must have different fathers.

Them: How many siblings do you have?

Vince: Three.

Them: Do you all have the same dad?

Vince: *side eye*

*drop kicking fantasy*

*throat-punching fantasy*

*my mom's dad has 13 siblings*

You asking me how many men have impregnated my mother?

• Morbid-Melancholy, chocolatewaif and Marishka like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users