Is buying vitamins worth it? - Vitamins, Supplements and Nutrition - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Is buying vitamins worth it?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Karlie93

Karlie93

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:49 AM

Sorry if this has been asked/is a stupid question. 

basically I have a list of vitamins I believe I need - vit d, c, b, collagen, omegas, calcium. I eat approx 1200 cals a day and I know I’m not getting enough of these in my diet. I found a subscription website that will send me all these vitamins monthly for £50. But I don’t know if it’s worth it? Is that a standard price for these vitamins? I’ve looked at other websites and it’s roughly the same price. 

but also when we take these supplements, do they actually work or do we just end up with expensive pee?

again, sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m just trying to get my head around it all before I go and splurge on supplements. 

#2 Kites

Kites

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:53 AM

how many pills do they give you?

that's super expensive, esp for what I'm assuming is a run-of-the-mill multivitamin. some of these companies spend all of their money on marketing and the product is way overpriced for what it is.

• Oakley❅, Katie Katie and Karlie93 like this

·.¸¸.·♩♪♫ life is so french toast to me ♫♪♩·.¸¸.·

qjPpUvz.gif

Spoiler

bodychecks and stream of consciousness

#3 electric_avenue

electric_avenue

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1253 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:58 AM

don't use that company- £50 is WAYYYYY overpriced for vitamins omg

get them in bulk packs of 60 or 120 pills from Boots or superdrug, it will be much much cheaper and will do the same thing. you don't need designer vitamins, they're all the same stuff.

https://www.boots.co...s/multivitamins

you could probably get 2-3 months of everything you need for under £20

• Oakley❅, Katie Katie, Karlie93 and 2 others like this

wannabe egirl, pepsi max addict, lesbian

i just want to know how thin feels

CW:122 (BMI 20.9)  SW:137 (BMI 23.1)

UGW: maintain at 115 (BMI 19.5)

Next goal: 120lbs by March 1st!

accountability below

https://www.myproana...ctric-boogaloo/

Spoiler

fa734e4a9828dea22a9d0a0b2f87a7f5

#4 fakenormie

fakenormie

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationUnder my blanket

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:03 AM

i spend about $100 every three months for iron, zinc, magnesium, potassium, vit e, probiotic and inositol. i also take those protein shakes meal replacements that has all the multivitamins and minerals from time to time. I dont live in the UK so cant comment much about the price differences, but 100 pounds seem a bit much... if its too expensive, you could try taking those meal replacements shakes that has all the vitmins and minerals first before supplementing?

• Karlie93 likes this

"It's ok to have days where you think that you were born in order to be happy"

#5 Starduss

Starduss

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3080 posts
  • LocationThe bottom of the Baggie

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:08 AM

Yes
  • Karlie93 likes this
pfazq.png

#6 fakenormie

fakenormie

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • LocationUnder my blanket

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:08 AM

be careful of the servings/ dosage. no need to take 1000% of a particular vitamin or mineral... 100% is more than enough. if you believe that you have a deficiency, 200 to 400% in one tablet is MORE THAN ENOUGH. check carefully and get tested for deficiencies first if you can afford it. there are side effects for over supplementing on minerals and vitamins.

• kevi, Katie Katie, Kites and 3 others like this

"It's ok to have days where you think that you were born in order to be happy"

#7 Karlie93

Karlie93

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:16 AM

Thank you all so much for your replies! I’ll ditch that company and do more research and buy in bulk instead. 

thanks again!

#8 Alycat

Alycat

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:36 AM

The reality is that we pee out the majority of multivitamin content, but it does help a bit. That being said, those prices you listed are ridiculous. Just get a generic multivitamin from Boots or whatever, and it'll give you the same vitamin benefits as the fancy company.

HW: 118kg

CW: 80.75kg

Goals: 85kg, 80kg, 75kg, 70kg, 65kg, 60kg, 55kg, 50kg

#9 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 984 posts
  • LocationSunnydale, looking for my key

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:52 AM

£50 is insanely overpriced

You can get basic multivitamins from Savers/Poundland/Wilko for a couple of quid

Holland & Barrett are pricier, but they have the penny sale on every few months so it works out cheaper than Boots

I use Perfectil Platinum, but only because I got a load of boxes reduced to £3 each in the bargain bucket at my local Boots
  • rivversflowing likes this

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Accountability

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

IxfVu9z.gif

8ewg2dY.gif

#10 rivversflowing

rivversflowing

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:47 AM

The reality is that we pee out the majority of multivitamin content, but it does help a bit. That being said, those prices you listed are ridiculous. Just get a generic multivitamin from Boots or whatever, and it'll give you the same vitamin benefits as the fancy company.

This is true for those who do get enough of their vitamins from food, but if one is consistently only getting 50% and their multi has the remaining 50% (like a good multi should, no multi needs to have 100% of everything) you will not pee it out. Additionally, Vitamins A, D, E, and K will not get peed out as they will be stored in ones fat stores. Most people here don't really eat a lot, so the assumption of a healthy, vitamin rich diet cannot be applied. 

basically I have a list of vitamins I believe I need - vit d, c, b, collagen, omegas, calcium. I eat approx 1200 cals a day and I know I’m not getting enough of these in my diet. I found a subscription website that will send me all these vitamins monthly for £50. But I don’t know if it’s worth it? Is that a standard price for these vitamins? I’ve looked at other websites and it’s roughly the same price. 

but also when we take these supplements, do they actually work or do we just end up with expensive pee?

again, sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m just trying to get my head around it all before I go and splurge on supplements. 

@ OP, check carefully on your calcium. Most studies that recommend 1,200mg are flawed and we really only need 500 to 700mg depending on certain factors like sex, weight, age, and activity level, and too much can be harmful. You probably get enough if you drink any sort of milk (fortified if plant). Focus on Vitamin D instead getting 800 IU to 1,000 IU per day.

And to answer your main question. Yes, supplements work as long as you actually are experiencing a vitamin/mineral insufficiency of deficiency. There are also lots of off label usages, however this isn't the question you had so I will not be going into much detail about that, but I feel it is important to explain. Basically, unless you are trying to treat a condition that uses a vitamin/mineral in a separate way than the general use of the vitamin/mineral in the body. For example, Vitamin B3 (Niacin) can be effective in correcting abnormal levels of blood fats, however this requires at least 500 mg or more to correct. In contrast, we only need 14mg with an upper limit of 35mg per day when not using it to correct blood fats. The reason we are able to use niacin to correct these issues is because the risk/benefit analysis is in favor of too high niacin levels vs too high blood fat levels. You usually only need 100% of your vitamins/minerals and extreme excess could be harmful and sometimes fatal.

Basically, taking supplements should only be used for supplementation and when taking them, we need to use the minimum dose necessary to fill our nutrient gaps. 

And that is insanely overpriced. I got a 3 month supply of 1000 IU vitamin D for 4£ and that's a pretty average amount of money to meet your RDA/AI, however some might be up to 9£ or down to 2£

• winterberry likes this

hydrate h*e

#11 foreigngirl

foreigngirl

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 02 February 2021 - 11:51 AM

I don't live in the UK but I am sure you too can get vitamins in a cheap price range at the supermarket and in pharmacies.

#12 Oh Happy Day

Oh Happy Day

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Locationsitting in the middle, waiting

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:14 PM

It's definitely worth is esp if you know your diet is lacking. Not only for your long term health, but to avoid joint pain, bad skin and hairloss. Not to mention, if you are deficient in some nutrients, this can slow your metabolism.

S: 17.4
C:  fatty fatty boom boom
L: 13.8
G1: 13

#13 greentea.xo

greentea.xo

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 10 February 2021 - 07:41 PM

Hiya lovely, yes vitamins are defo worth it. Try forceval capsules, they're amazing and have so many vitamins and minerals in them

#14 𝔶𝔠𝔩𝔢𝔭𝔱

𝔶𝔠𝔩𝔢𝔭𝔱

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8401 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 07:48 PM

A blood test is the only surefire way to know what supplements you need. I could've sworn I was deficient in everything and it turned out I only needed vitamin D3 and B12. 

Taking supplements when you don't need them can cause side effects as well. 

source.gif

#15 xl7

xl7

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1238 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:01 PM

yes its worth it 

#16 Xaroira

Xaroira

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 06:10 AM

Why not? Taking vitamins if you have a deficiency is necessary. But first, it's better to have a blood test and consult a nutritionist in order to choose the best and needed food supplements. I take vitamin C, D, B12, zinc, Omega-3 every day and I have to admit, I am feeling excellent. If you don't know where to buy good vitamins, I recommend Canadian pharmacy.

#17 etherealalice

etherealalice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2021 - 07:24 PM

I'm not sure. But besides eating beef liver (it's gross but liver is THE superfood! 140 cals/100g and 20g protein and cheap!!) once or twice a week, i take cod liver oil for omega 3s + vit D. Then I take MSM for hair growth ( with lemon juice). Those are my essentials

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users