uni + scab eating - Pica Disorder - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

uni + scab eating

pica scab

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 InkedRavensofDespair

InkedRavensofDespair

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIn my room

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:52 PM

Hello. 

Whenever I get stressed, I obsessively pick at bumps on my face, neck, arms, and back. This of course leads to scabs, which leads to more things to pick off! And eat!!

University is picking up again, and I'm very stressed, causing breakouts, obsessive picking, and a great hunger for scabs (lol feels weird to actually type it out!)

Does any one have any tips or tricks to either stop picking or to at least stop eating them? I feel like a crazy person, esp since i know have 2-3 pretty big wounds developing on my jaw and dozens of other ones in more discrete locations. 

Thanks for the help! Also, if you don't have tips but just relate hmu, I feel really alone with this condition, and have never told anyone. 

• stkitty likes this

~ stats ~

Spoiler

#2 juul

juul

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 08:17 AM

Hey, i used to have a huge problem with picking at my skin. honestly it really just comes down to breaking the habit, or at least in my case it did. dont feel guilty about it, and toss anything you have like tweezers, or even cut down your nails if it makes it harder for you to pick them. i know it's hard but sometimes just finding another crutch can help.

also, since youre at uni dont be afraid to reach out for help, especially if your college offers any free therapy or anything if youre stressed!!!!

• InkedRavensofDespair likes this

I hate this fucking website but I love all of you lmao

#3 InkedRavensofDespair

InkedRavensofDespair

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIn my room

Posted 27 January 2021 - 11:43 AM

Hey, i used to have a huge problem with picking at my skin. honestly it really just comes down to breaking the habit, or at least in my case it did. dont feel guilty about it, and toss anything you have like tweezers, or even cut down your nails if it makes it harder for you to pick them. i know it's hard but sometimes just finding another crutch can help.

also, since youre at uni dont be afraid to reach out for help, especially if your college offers any free therapy or anything if youre stressed!!!!

I might try and wear gloves tomorrow to help remind myself not to pick, tho I don't know what my roommate will think lmao. Good on you for being able to kick the habit! Very inspiring, it feels so automatic and satisfying that I'm unsure how to stop. 

Also I'll look into it, my college is kinda known for it's shitty mental health services but I'm a scabby boy rn so I can't be too picky (pun unintended)

• juul likes this

~ stats ~

Spoiler

#4 golodnaya

golodnaya

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1219 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 02:21 PM

I might try and wear gloves tomorrow to help remind myself not to pick, tho I don't know what my roommate will think lmao. Good on you for being able to kick the habit! Very inspiring, it feels so automatic and satisfying that I'm unsure how to stop. 

Also I'll look into it, my college is kinda known for it's shitty mental health services but I'm a scabby boy rn so I can't be too picky (pun unintended)

hey, i also have excoriation disorder! it's a pain in the ass, but here's what worked for me. somewhat. i still have literally hundreds of scars all over my back and upper arms and hate myself for it, but its gotten way less than before ;_;

• acrylic nails. literally cant pick at skin, physically impossible with fake nails. but i find them cumbersome and overpriced so thats not really a tip that i liked
  • having a fidget toy, slime, like those adhd cubes and whenever you feel the urge, playing with that. 
  • covering up open wounds / bumps - hydrocolloid bandages, long sleeves, etc. 
  • for my face, putting a face mask on (like a sheet mask) and then putting a hydrocolloid bandage on the bump. 
  • setting a timer in the bathroom so you can't fall into the "picking zone" where before you know it, you've spent 2 hours picking at your skin.
  • doing hands-on arts and crafts. ceramics helped me so much with avoiding the picking urge. it's ocd related, so it's a form of anxiety related disorders, so they think that distracting yourself and doing things that will help alleviate anxiety will help.
  • there's a skinpicking subreddit, and going on there and chatting with others who have this illness is really comforting. 
  • preventing bumps from happening or "having" the triggers appear in the first place - i use a salux korean towel to remove ingrown hairs and exfoliate to avoid keratosis pilaris and acne on my arms, legs, back. i physically exfoliate before shaving and use glycolic acid lotion and aha toner afterwards to prevent ingrowns from appearing (they're a trigger for me). 

stats

Spoiler

threads

mood board 

Spoiler

rsz_caesar_2.png

#5 InkedRavensofDespair

InkedRavensofDespair

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIn my room

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:31 PM

hey, i also have excoriation disorder! it's a pain in the ass, but here's what worked for me. somewhat. i still have literally hundreds of scars all over my back and upper arms and hate myself for it, but its gotten way less than before ;_;

• acrylic nails. literally cant pick at skin, physically impossible with fake nails. but i find them cumbersome and overpriced so thats not really a tip that i liked
  • having a fidget toy, slime, like those adhd cubes and whenever you feel the urge, playing with that. 
  • covering up open wounds / bumps - hydrocolloid bandages, long sleeves, etc. 
  • for my face, putting a face mask on (like a sheet mask) and then putting a hydrocolloid bandage on the bump. 
  • setting a timer in the bathroom so you can't fall into the "picking zone" where before you know it, you've spent 2 hours picking at your skin.
  • doing hands-on arts and crafts. ceramics helped me so much with avoiding the picking urge. it's ocd related, so it's a form of anxiety related disorders, so they think that distracting yourself and doing things that will help alleviate anxiety will help.
  • there's a skinpicking subreddit, and going on there and chatting with others who have this illness is really comforting. 
  • preventing bumps from happening or "having" the triggers appear in the first place - i use a salux korean towel to remove ingrown hairs and exfoliate to avoid keratosis pilaris and acne on my arms, legs, back. i physically exfoliate before shaving and use glycolic acid lotion and aha toner afterwards to prevent ingrowns from appearing (they're a trigger for me). 

Thanks so much for the tips! I joined the reddit group and damn I had no idea there were this many people with the same issue. I'm the only one I know in my personal life who does this so it's kinda eye opening. 

I'll try to not pick once tomorrow and take it from there : ) 

~ stats ~

Spoiler

#6 juul

juul

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:34 PM

i wear leather gloves all the time because it feels more comfortable to me as i have some sensory issues. because i dont feel like explaining what a sensory issue is to random strangers or mutuals sometimes ill say the gloves are for covid reasons, lime rash, minor burns-whatever makes people not look at me like i have 9 heads. but if your roomate asks covid or rash is an awesome excuse -especially if you can get your hands on latex gloves. 

I hate this fucking website but I love all of you lmao

#7 InkedRavensofDespair

InkedRavensofDespair

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • LocationIn my room

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:37 PM

i wear leather gloves all the time because it feels more comfortable to me as i have some sensory issues. because i dont feel like explaining what a sensory issue is to random strangers or mutuals sometimes ill say the gloves are for covid reasons, lime rash, minor burns-whatever makes people not look at me like i have 9 heads. but if your roomate asks covid or rash is an awesome excuse -especially if you can get your hands on latex gloves. 

That's smart! I also have ice hands so I'll just say I'm cold. Thanks for all the advice <3 Gives me motivation to finally try to kick the habit. 

• juul likes this

~ stats ~

Spoiler

#8 Gospel Oak

Gospel Oak

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 28 January 2021 - 05:39 AM

My picking problems were awful over the six month lockdown I had at home away from university last year. I picked a giant hole in my chin. My problem is that (thankfully) I rarely have break outs, but when I do I end up just picking if I'm anxious or bored in life and that just turns into wounds which turn into scars which then are and even more annoying problem to deal with.

I'm back at university now and have things to do with my life so I don't pick at my face anymore (and don't really have anything to pick at anyway), but my friend recommended me these which may help you: https://www.amazon.c...y/dp/B07SST3DHJ

I also suggest getting some therapy or something to find alternative coping mechanisms :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pica, scab

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users