Fertility issues/how long did it take to get pregnant? - Pregnancy - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Fertility issues/how long did it take to get pregnant?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 QuestToSkinny

QuestToSkinny

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 10:16 AM

Hi,
I’m 30 years old. I have a history of Bulimia and Anorexia al thought my weight and period is normal now. I did partake in extreme restricting last year for my wedding and my BMI was 19 after losing 10 lbs in 2 months. Other than that I’ve been pretty healthy with my eating patterns over the last 2 years and have maintained my BMI around 21 eating “normally”.

My husband and I have been having trouble getting pregnant, although it’s only been a few months. I went to my doctor for fertility testing because my periods have become slightly irregular and I spot several days before it starts. I was diagnosed with “diminished ovarian reserve” aka I don’t have many eggs left. They drew a blood test called AMH and my level was super low (0.3 ng/ml) AMH is the hormone your eggs release...

I was wondering if anyone had fertility issues?? Or how long did it take you to get pregnant? My doc has already mentioned IVF and I really don’t want to do that 😔 the thought of injecting my body with fake hormones and going under sedation to retrieve eggs and make an embryo in test tube just sounds miserable. I am wanting to wait a year of trying before doing IVF but my doc thinks I should get a consult around 6 months.

Any info is helpful

429927_b6f80e860ee44893ab01aafef6b2f46f.

"We've been given the dignity of choice; to become a part of what we could be, or all that we can be."

HW: 140 lbs/ BMI 21.9 ///// LW: 104 lbs/BMI 16.7

CW: 129 lbs/ BMI 20.3 updated 1/22/2020     

GW 1: 125 lbs /BMI 19.5 / Goal met:

GW 2: 120 lbs / BMI 18.8 / Goal met:

** UGW: 115 lbs / BMI 18.0 / Goal met: **

​MyFitnessPal username: QuestToSkinny (diary is public)

#2 greenteavegan

greenteavegan

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:25 AM

I got pregnant with my girls the second month we tried, but I was in my mid 20s then. It was about two years after my recovery was complete and I maintained a lower normal BMI. With my boy it took half a year and I was in my late 20s after some ed ups and downs, but I haven't low restriced since before my recovery. This is comparativly fast even for people without and ed or medical issues! At your fertilitly peak in you mid twenties there is only a 1 in 3 chance every month if you have sex while ovulating. Usually they don't even check for issues unless you have tried for at least a year. So I really think you can relax for now and not worry too much. I think at 30 it takes an average of half a year, which of course also means it happening the first month or after a year of trying is in the normal category and just a game of chance.
That said, most docs were fairly surprised this was so easy for me given my history. Just saying there is also a godd chance you will be just fine or any problems have nothing to do with your ed history.
Good luck!
lw: 42kg (170cm)
cw: 49kg

#3 QuestToSkinny

QuestToSkinny

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

Thank you!! That was a helpful response. I’m happy for you!!

429927_b6f80e860ee44893ab01aafef6b2f46f.

"We've been given the dignity of choice; to become a part of what we could be, or all that we can be."

HW: 140 lbs/ BMI 21.9 ///// LW: 104 lbs/BMI 16.7

CW: 129 lbs/ BMI 20.3 updated 1/22/2020     

GW 1: 125 lbs /BMI 19.5 / Goal met:

GW 2: 120 lbs / BMI 18.8 / Goal met:

** UGW: 115 lbs / BMI 18.0 / Goal met: **

​MyFitnessPal username: QuestToSkinny (diary is public)

#4 bewellzebub

bewellzebub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

I got pregnant like immediately. September we decide to start trying, October whoops that’s a positive. Im 28, and I don’t think this is typical for even people without a history of ED. I hit my lowest weight ever (BMI 20, nothing underweight) the summer/fall before quarantine, then drank a ton, binged, purged some, put on more weight than I wanna even admit, it was a mess. Then I was actively restricting when I got pregnant, because I assumed it would take longer and so I thought I had some time to lose weight. The point is my behaviors were much more recent than yours and I still conceived fine. I don’t think you have to worry too much. As the previous poster said, it often takes time. If a year goes by and you’re still trying, maybe take some steps and get some consultations then, but for now, try to enjoy. Best of luck to you and yours =]

#5 TheBigRedMachine<3

TheBigRedMachine<3

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1334 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 February 2021 - 10:48 PM

I am 35 and my husband and I have been trying since November..... and I am starting to worry if I am too old and missed my chance to start a family.  My husband would be an amazing dad.

I did talk to my dr. with my concerns and he said plenty of people my age and older get pregnant and have healthy babies.    

sorry this is not very helpful to your post but I wanted to share my frustrations.  I kinda thought I would be pregnant by now.

• roomofglass likes this

Weight: 

Pregnant and due in October 2021.

Trying to cope with doing the right thing for baby while dealing with gaining weight and poor body image.

**PSA - my user name is in reference to my favorite wrestler... starting to think it may be interpreted as something else... :)

#6 Mela92

Mela92

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:29 PM

I feel your frustration, i'm in a similar situation... i'm 28 (nearly 29) and me and my fiance are trying since last july.

I have also a history of anorexia and bulimia but i have recovered and a normal weight since nearly 8 years. Now i have a bmi around 21.

Last november i got pregnant but i lost it very early in the 5th week...
Now we try again but i fear that I never get really pregnant or to lose it again...

It is so frustrating and now i start to have anorexic thougts again. I lost already a bit of weight but at the same time a know at too low weight i have no period. But this ED thing distract me from my unfilled wish to have a child...contradictory i know!

#7 roomofglass

roomofglass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 February 2021 - 09:18 AM

I'm 31 and this is my 5th month trying.

I had tried gaining some weight because my periods were EXTREMELY irregular, and I thought that had helped (my cycle had become more regular the last few months). Then, it was a week late and I was so excited that maybe I had been successful, but it came yesterday, so NOPE. 

I hear a lot of the frustration some of you have voiced. My BMI is now over 19, and I just don't know if I can bring myself to gain any more weight. I don't even know for sure if it would help. I have seen info saying that the best BMI for conception is over 20, but others say if it's over 18.5 you're fine. I feel like I've had to cut way back on exercise and become far less comfortable in my body in order for conception to happen, and it just isn't working yet. My thoughts go out to all of you right now :(

#8 noaudience

noaudience

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts

Posted 04 March 2021 - 03:44 AM

My normal BMI is around 15.5-16.5. I couldn't get pregnant until I got to a BMI of like 23-24. We tried for well over a year and the only thing that helped was gaining weight. It was agonizing, but at the end of the day you have to weigh your priorities. You can always lose the weight...but not much you can do if you're underweight and your body just refuses to let you carry a child.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Height: 5'6

HW - 150

LW - 89

CW - 105.4

GW1 - 130

GW1 - 120

GW2 - 110

GW3 - 100

GW4 - 90

UGW - 80

#9 kevi

kevi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6723 posts
  • LocationSouth

Posted 24 March 2021 - 02:55 AM

I gained/maintained around 17.5-18 while trying. Only happened on the second month, and I’m only about 5 weeks now. I always worried about fertility as I lost my period for YEARS, but it all seems to be functioning normally...

I’ve gotten pregnant with one instance of unprotected sex and a BMI of 16 before. Who can figure.

I spent this year as a ghost. ___________________________________

uvCCfHz.png

#10 Pitstop

Pitstop

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 11 May 2021 - 12:30 PM

I'm 35 and just found out that I'm pregnant after 3/4 months of trying. I was restricting and b/p when I fell pregnant, with my BMI being 19.

I've suffered from ednos for 10 years and honestly thought that I was infertile. It was a bit of a shock when I did a random pregnancy test because my period was 2 weeks late...

I guess there's hope for everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users