Alcohol? - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Alcohol?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LydiaAgain

LydiaAgain

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:15 AM

Does anyone else use alcohol as a coping strategy?  I used to think I was just enjoying a couple of drinks before dinner every day, but lately I've realised I do it partly because it makes it easier for me to eat if I'm slightly drunk and don't have to deal with all my feelings.  

• vattodovattodo and Wildfairy like this

#2 hauntao

hauntao

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:24 AM

I am a recovering alcoholic, so I definitely get using it to cope. I've learned how to keep it to like 2-4 drinks over the past couple of years and not use it as a reaction to a bad mood (honestly, I just think about the calories and hangover and that helps me). I'd suggest not getting too deep into it, it can get out of hand fast, but if you're only having a few drinks and it's not affecting your life, I don't see a problem with using it temporarily while trying to find a better coping mechanism.

• Wildfairy and Dollie Bones like this

tumblr_p5zxj8aFcQ1r38ho3o2_100.gif

32 yo
INTP
Aqua/Virgo/Cap
she/her

#3 Dollie Bones

Dollie Bones

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2637 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:26 AM

I definitely do but I’m probably an alcoholic because I use it in a different way. I drink because it suppresses my appetite during the day. I usually only take a shot or 2. Or sip dry red wine. It’s a fine balance because if you drink too much, you HAVE to eat otw you feel like shit.
I do the same thing with weed, too. If I take a small hits throughout the day, it actually suppresses my appetite
  • Wildfairy likes this

#4 ThinProject

ThinProject

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationAppalachian Mountains

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:28 AM

YES. It started off as a casual thing, but at this point I'm a full blown alcoholic, and it's honestly exhausting. Constant nausea, impeded weight loss and embarrassment. Honestly wouldn't wish being an alcoholic anorexic on anyone. 

• vattodovattodo, Wildfairy and Dollie Bones like this

#5 Wildfairy

Wildfairy

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:49 AM

I've discovered that 6 beers is the magic# for unnatural hunger.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

#6 ThinProject

ThinProject

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 10:57 AM

I've discovered that 6 beers is the magic# for unnatural hunger.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

5% or 8%?

#7 Dollie Bones

Dollie Bones

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2637 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 11:04 AM

5% or 8%?

right? Here in Michigan, we have some strooooong ass beer! But if you live in Utah, their normal beer is like 3-4% !!!

Edited to add: lol.. ass beer
  • Wildfairy likes this

#8 ThinProject

ThinProject

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 11:07 AM

right? Here in Michigan, we have some strooooong ass beer! But if you live in Utah, their normal beer is like 3-4% !!!

Oh god, I actually used to have an apartment with my shitty ex in Salt Lake City Utah and YEA the beer is very low in AC, and you can only buy liquor stores at state run stores, which means all of the liquor money essentially goes right back into the church/government, and you can't order a beer in any restaurant unless it is specifically called a bar. Utah is a clown show if you are a drinker. Here in Tennessee though, different story. Moonshine grows in these hills.

• Dollie Bones likes this

#9 Dollie Bones

Dollie Bones

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2637 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:20 AM

Oh god, I actually used to have an apartment with my shitty ex in Salt Lake City Utah and YEA the beer is very low in AC, and you can only buy liquor stores at state run stores, which means all of the liquor money essentially goes right back into the church/government, and you can't order a beer in any restaurant unless it is specifically called a bar. Utah is a clown show if you are a drinker. Here in Tennessee though, different story. Moonshine grows in these hills.

lol wow that’s crazy! I heard it’s mainly Mormons in Utah so maybe that’s why they have such strict alcohol regulations?

I love Tennessee! We like to stop at the Jack Daniels distillery when we drive to Florida. So fun! Weird that it’s a dry county, tho!

#10 ThinProject

ThinProject

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:15 PM

lol wow that’s crazy! I heard it’s mainly Mormons in Utah so maybe that’s why they have such strict alcohol regulations?

I love Tennessee! We like to stop at the Jack Daniels distillery when we drive to Florida. So fun! Weird that it’s a dry county, tho!

Yeah, Utah is mostly Mormons for sure. I love Tennessee too! It's beautiful up here. What part of Florida do you go down to? Ever been to the Keys?

#11 mythics

mythics

A Rock

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1684 posts
  • Locationneptune

Posted 04 February 2021 - 05:18 PM

I drink waaaaay too much for sure, it's definitely amped with the pandemic and the stress of being a first time mom. It's fuckin rough, like I kicked heroin years ago but booze is my albatross

﹁

rebuilding myself

﹂                        

#12 Dollie Bones

Dollie Bones

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2637 posts

Posted 04 February 2021 - 06:24 PM

Yeah, Utah is mostly Mormons for sure. I love Tennessee too! It's beautiful up here. What part of Florida do you go down to? Ever been to the Keys?

no but I definitely want to visit the keys one day! We usually go to the Tampa area. We fell in love after going on a cruise out of the Tampa port and we met some really cool people who live on the bay. We’ve honestly been to a lot of Florida but haven’t driven further south than Miami. We’ve been on the Atlantic side a few times but mainly stick to the gulf side. We’ve been planning on moving for a while; my bf is a musician and wanted to move his band there to play in the Tampa/St Pete area. Unfortunately, Covid fucked all that up. here in Michigan there have been absolutely zero paying gigs because of the restrictions; therefore, the band broke up :( they lost out on $6000 in gigs, including one gig in FLORIDA!!! A few months after the other band members quit, the place in Florida that had them booked called and asked if they could play regularly because their normal band was no longer available. Just typing this makes me wanna puke.. we asked them if they’d still play but they turned us down so everything my bf worked so hard for was being given to him but he didn’t have to a band to play with! Ughhhhhh anyway, he has stayed in touch with his connections in Florida and we will be moving before this year is over.. I hope. Whew sorry for the long story there

#13 ThinProject

ThinProject

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 02:11 PM

no but I definitely want to visit the keys one day! We usually go to the Tampa area. We fell in love after going on a cruise out of the Tampa port and we met some really cool people who live on the bay. We’ve honestly been to a lot of Florida but haven’t driven further south than Miami. We’ve been on the Atlantic side a few times but mainly stick to the gulf side. We’ve been planning on moving for a while; my bf is a musician and wanted to move his band there to play in the Tampa/St Pete area. Unfortunately, Covid fucked all that up. here in Michigan there have been absolutely zero paying gigs because of the restrictions; therefore, the band broke up :( they lost out on $6000 in gigs, including one gig in FLORIDA!!! A few months after the other band members quit, the place in Florida that had them booked called and asked if they could play regularly because their normal band was no longer available. Just typing this makes me wanna puke.. we asked them if they’d still play but they turned us down so everything my bf worked so hard for was being given to him but he didn’t have to a band to play with! Ughhhhhh anyway, he has stayed in touch with his connections in Florida and we will be moving before this year is over.. I hope. Whew sorry for the long story there

WOAH WHAT? That is such a fucking bummer. I'm also a musician, and this was going to be the year I started playing in bars and stuff. I mean, I've been writing forever and just wanted a place to play but yeah. Covid happened. I feel so bad for your bf I bet that was fucking awful. 

Florida is a great place to live tho. Beaches are everything. 

#14 Dollie Bones

Dollie Bones

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2637 posts

Posted 06 February 2021 - 04:38 PM

WOAH WHAT? That is such a fucking bummer. I'm also a musician, and this was going to be the year I started playing in bars and stuff. I mean, I've been writing forever and just wanted a place to play but yeah. Covid happened. I feel so bad for your bf I bet that was fucking awful. 
Florida is a great place to live tho. Beaches are everything.

damn, I’m so sorry.. don’t give up! Hopefully, you live in an area that will eventually have live music again. Michigan isn’t looking too promising.
What do you play?

#15 eatlessbmore

eatlessbmore

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:22 AM

I'm not sure. I was a little sad last night and had a glass, but it was more as an appetite suppressant. I had exercised a second time that day and didn't want to eat until the next day. I find that wine makes me too chill to feel hunger, and just a little wine does the trick. Plus I'm starting to enjoy the different flavors of wine.

I guess it's important to be aware and honest and cautious, just in case.

#16 Appletun

Appletun

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • LocationWasting my time

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:27 PM

Yes! I drink to zone out but I almost always over do it and end up binge eating afterwards. It's a viscous cycle that I've been trying to get out of for years.

:wub:

#17 WistfulKitten

WistfulKitten

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas, USA

Posted 04 March 2021 - 01:53 PM

I drink a glass or two of wine when I'm hungry and the anxiety is starting to get too bad. It keeps me from cutting so I don't see much of an issue with it.

"I am one of those melodramatic fools

neurotic to the bone no doubt about it."

5'1.5" HW:185 UGW:97(ish)

185 175 165 155 150 145 140 135 130 125 120 115 110 105 100 97...

#18 Journeytothin

Journeytothin

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 March 2021 - 03:40 PM

oo yes I was using it to cope for sure. I just stopped recently because I realized that I was doing it and that it needed to stop. It's pretty freaking hard though because I just don't want to feel things and drinking makes me feel so much better emotionally at the moment.

You can look in the mirror everyday wishing you had a better body, OR you can do something about it! It's not going to be easy but it WILL be worth it! Always remember nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!

#19 Carrie_Pilby

Carrie_Pilby

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationIL

Posted 24 March 2021 - 12:31 AM

I had to stop. I'm 33 and drank wine almost every night after I started into my career. It took me to dark.places mentally. I have a lot less anxiety and depression without it. I noticed that when I stopped drinking as much during college bc of school and work I turned to the food behaviors. I traded the substance abuse for the eating disorder. It's really all part of the same problem for me but right now I am not drinking and not purging food.... as for attempted restriction and occasional binge... still doing that.
  • vattodovattodo likes this

lw: 101

hw: 138

cw: 127

gw:105

#20 journeyerr

journeyerr

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1242 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey