"Thin Girls" by Diana Clarke - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

"Thin Girls" by Diana Clarke

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fizzle

fizzle

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1128 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:47 AM

I just finished this - has anyone else read it? In some ways it follows a lot of the typical anorexia-novel tropes, but the push-pull between Rose and Lily felt new, and I liked not knowing until the end exactly where it would go.

• Ana Brujana and Lio like this

#2 Lio

Lio

Whoresley Willis

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3303 posts
  • LocationI am in hell help me

Posted 09 February 2021 - 11:49 AM

I have this on my TBR. I really appreciate that one of the sisters has BED. It's good to see something other than anorexia being represented in an eating disorder novel. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, maybe I'll pick it up soon.

#3 fizzle

fizzle

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1128 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 01:02 PM

Do let me know what you think of it when you read it! I hadn't actually thought of Lily's relationship with food as BED—her weight gain is not treated as being associated with a disorder in the book—but you're so right that it's underrepresented in eating disorder books. I'd love to know whether her experience (followed less closely than Rose's) resonates with people who have faced BED.

#4 peteloeffler

peteloeffler

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Locationmyownhell

Posted 11 February 2021 - 01:14 PM

I just finished this - has anyone else read it? In some ways it follows a lot of the typical anorexia-novel tropes, but the push-pull between Rose and Lily felt new, and I liked not knowing until the end exactly where it would go.

Thank you for the recommendation, I'm reading it right now. So far, I want to punch 'Phil' in the face SO bad!  :D

#5 fizzle

fizzle

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1128 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:17 AM

Thank you for the recommendation, I'm reading it right now. So far, I want to punch 'Phil' in the face SO bad!  :D

Yeahhhh I think it's safe to say that Phil has that effect!

#6 Ana Brujana

Ana Brujana

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1762 posts
  • LocationCloud 9¾

Posted 21 August 2021 - 06:05 PM

I'm about halfway through and I've been w a i t i n g for people to talk to about it if anyone is interested. I've read a lot of ed books in my day and this is my favorite so far.

a4e7a7971d3c49593034cd81b78bc862.gif

we cover up just to [body check]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users