neurodivergency and ARFID, what's what? - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

neurodivergency and ARFID, what's what?

8 replies to this topic

#1 Subspace

Subspace

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:27 AM

I have always known about ARFID, but only recently actually saw the posts of folks who had it describing their experiences, and it was kinda shocking to me. I was not expecting to relate to what people were saying. And I am reading more and seeing several people with OCD and autism say they feel similarly, and I wanted to talk more about that. 

I am autistic, and have several food aversions. Many are because of texture or smell, and some are just because I am convinced they will make me sick, and I am terrified of being sick (which I didn't connect to be an ARFID symptom until recently). 

I don't see myself getting diagnosed with ARFID, since I am not underweight and seem to be managing okay from a doctors perspective (I'm not, but what does it matter to them that I can only eat like 2.5 foods any given week if I am still in a healthy weight range). But I am curious about other folks experiences between neurodivergencey and ARFID.

• Dolores. and stkitty like this

they/them

top surgery: 10/11/19

low dose hrt: 9/13/2019

height: 5'5''

cw:125

#2 stkitty

stkitty

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 11:54 AM

My mom has OCD (all women in family are some shit in the OCD umbrella), my sister and I have ARFID and I have anorexia. I get intrusive thoughts (and my sister is anxious) but not threshold OCD?

#3 464213

Advanced Warrior

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 12:03 PM

deleted

#4 Soulina

Soulina

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 01:10 PM

Being underweight is not part of ARFID, I mean you can get fat even if you eat only few foods. It´s the quantity you eat them in. ARFID is about how limited your diet is and your reaction to foods outside your diet. I only use salt and green herbs as seasoning, nothing else if I accidently would eat someting with lets say pepper on it, I might start to vomit. Even thinking about cheese makes me gag.

I get my blood tested once in a while to follow my vitamin lvls and blood values, but that is all the "treatment" I get. I am glad the foods I eat are mostly really healthy and I eat something from all food groups.

-

We're gonna do it, going so high
We'll play all night, put away your exhaustion
I love it, love it, love it, love it, love it too
I showed myself to you so show yourself to me too
I want you to hug me
What do I do about this?
I caught attention seeking illness because of you
I don't know why I'm being like this
Why do I wanna do bad things?

-

NCT127 - Baby Don´t Like it

My stats:

Spoiler

My Threads:

Soulina´s thinspo dump (male K-pop idols)

pinterest version (click --->here<----)

Soulina´s rant thread  (random whining)

Soulina´s accountability (with NCT memes)

cd4170b82da77076799dba9db01c3408.gif

#5 Subspace

Subspace

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 07:12 PM

Being underweight is not part of ARFID, I mean you can get fat even if you eat only few foods. 

I know that, I more meant that I don't think I would get diagnosed by anyone since they can't even point to my weight as proof it is destructive if that makes sense? I don't like my food aversions, it causes a serious problem in my life, but I don't think I would be believed since I am pretty bad about getting across to doctors. 

they/them

top surgery: 10/11/19

low dose hrt: 9/13/2019

height: 5'5''

cw:125

#6 Soulina

Soulina

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 06:32 AM

I know that, I more meant that I don't think I would get diagnosed by anyone since they can't even point to my weight as proof it is destructive if that makes sense? I don't like my food aversions, it causes a serious problem in my life, but I don't think I would be believed since I am pretty bad about getting across to doctors. 

My diet is limited even in ARFID groups, but it is quite different from most too as I avoid so called beige foods, except oats (in oatmeal and oat bran).  My diet is extremely healthy and could be recommended for anyone (except no normal people would enjoy the foods, as there is no seasoning on anything except salt and eating same foods every single day makes it impossible to most to keep up) but as it is not by choice, I cannot slip from it. The social issues I get from it are huge, I can not eat anything outside my home, there is nothing for me in any restaurant. Travelling requires me to either bring my own food or place to buy and prepare my own food. Travelling to outside the country is almost impossible, I am planning to do it after the current situation is calmed down. I am currently studying the language of my destination country with a private tutor that I can feed my self when travelling.

So, I get why you don´t enjoy these limitations either. Maybe write down how it effects your life and what reaction you have to food and why you would want help from doctors to it? Either read from the paper or if you are ND the doctors will understand most often if you just give the paper to them to read.

I have ASD and ADHD I always write stuff what I want to bring up and why before going to doctor. It helps me to get my needs across better.

I hope you get the support you need, it helped me a lot when the doctors gave me the diagnosis that I had a name for my condition, that it was not just being picky.

• Subspace likes this

-

We're gonna do it, going so high
We'll play all night, put away your exhaustion
I love it, love it, love it, love it, love it too
I showed myself to you so show yourself to me too
I want you to hug me
What do I do about this?
I caught attention seeking illness because of you
I don't know why I'm being like this
Why do I wanna do bad things?

-

NCT127 - Baby Don´t Like it

My stats:

Spoiler

My Threads:

Soulina´s thinspo dump (male K-pop idols)

pinterest version (click --->here<----)

Soulina´s rant thread  (random whining)

Soulina´s accountability (with NCT memes)

cd4170b82da77076799dba9db01c3408.gif

#7 stardust-angel

stardust-angel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationsweden

Posted 07 June 2021 - 07:51 AM

Arfid is probably mostly diagnosed if u have vitamin deficiencies, not underweight. While I’m not diagnosed with it they did write it as a possible diagnosis a while back. At the time I had vitamin d and b deficiency. I also have autism

#8 Dolores.

Dolores.

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • LocationOn the road

Posted 07 June 2021 - 08:59 AM

Since I have anorexia, I restricted a lot, but the funny thing here is that all people need to find an explanation and then name it, I don't like to eat, I restrict, and then I can eat. chocolate like a pig. Only that.

Dissolved girl

#9 Dolores.

Dolores.

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • LocationOn the road

Posted 07 June 2021 - 09:00 AM

Anyway, I'll do the arfid test online hahaha

Dissolved girl

Reply to this topic