ADHD/ADD - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

ADHD/ADD

8 replies to this topic

#1 Dollie Bones

Dollie Bones

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2751 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:17 AM

Just wondering if there are many sufferers who also have ADHD/ADD.
I’ve never been diagnosed with either. My therapist thinks I have ADHD. I’m fairly certain I have had ARFID since I was a kid. The only thing I’ve ever been diagnosed with is general anxiety disorder but I hate the lexapro they put me on. Anyway, i guess idk where this is going, just wondering what everyone’s experiences are (if any)
  • stkitty likes this

#2 pleasesomeonehelpme

pleasesomeonehelpme

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:35 AM

I have adhd, it really sucks, I am in university rn and I am struggling majorly, going to my therapist on Monday. When I take my meds regularly everything goes decently, but right now I don't have any meds. I am so forgetful lately, lost my keys like 5 times this month. Can't study properly cuz I never finish tasks 

#3 kky

kky

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1403 posts
  • Locationwatching ice hockey

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:43 AM

i have adhd unmedicated. there is a strong link to my impulsivity/hyperfixation and my addiction to disordered eating habits.

apparently adhd meds also suppress diets.

there is a significant link i guess bc i do recall seeing alot of research papers on the link between adhd and eds. 

• Dollie Bones likes this

200w.gif daf9u7r-ac4d8753-daac-4db5-b8df-0d72365f200w.gifdaf9u7r-ac4d8753-daac-4db5-b8df-0d72365f200w.gif

#4 stkitty

stkitty

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2498 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 11:50 AM

Yep, oddly my ARFID has been easier to push against once I was medicated!

• Dollie Bones likes this

#5 sunsetlbs

sunsetlbs

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:36 PM

Theres actually a really obvious link between EDs and ADHD (Autism too)! Most of the focus of research is ana/mia/bed, but the connections w arfid are well within probability. 

Part of ADHD is sensory sensitivity, and this can manifest in a LOT of ways. You might have noticed that you don't like certain textures of cloth, or methods of compression (i cant stand turtlenecks, but weighted blankets are a godsend). This also applies to food! You could have issues with the texture, taste, sound, etc!

ADHD def led to my disordered habits bc you end up restricting yourself to foods that dont trigger your sensory issues, and depending on your environment will either go non-body image focused or body image focused. Medication helps to alleviate the symptoms of ADHD, so thats why youll see its easier to eat things you typically wouldnt be able to off meds.

• Dollie Bones and stkitty like this

cw: 54.7 kg

58 | 57 | 56 | 55 | 54 | 53 | 52 | 51 | 50 | 49

Alina's Accountability [pictures] 

Sunflower Challenge [BMI Competition]

#6 foliform

foliform

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 08:17 PM

deleted cuz I was kinda off topic

Accountability

bmi 19,1

tumblr_ms1m76i65a1qjy4bzo1_400.gif

Remember to keep your electrolytes up, stay hydrated, and forgive yourself.

Always willing to share harm-reduction advice.

tumblr_lm6prsIlg41qfoi4t.gif

#7 DeathsGoneWild

DeathsGoneWild

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 13 February 2021 - 10:54 PM

I have ADHD (inattentive focused) and I struggle with texture issues so I have specific (like weirdly specific) foods I cannot eat because of texture.  But having trouble with controlling my thoughts made me focus on food.

I was on..fuck I can't remember rn.  But it suppressed my appetite and I had to force myself to eat cause I would binge after it wore off.  The med I'm on now, Concerta, doesn't seem to suppress my appetite AS much.  But from time to time I will notice it being 3pm and I have been awake for nearly 8 hours and haven't eaten and not feel hungry at all

• Dollie Bones and stkitty like this

Back on my bullshit

Anxiety, Depression, and ADHD is the cocktail that is my brain

5'1/154cm

Unknown lbs/Unknown kgs

Permanent State: Tired

#8 Dollie Bones

Dollie Bones

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2751 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:45 AM

I have adhd, it really sucks, I am in university rn and I am struggling majorly, going to my therapist on Monday. When I take my meds regularly everything goes decently, but right now I don't have any meds. I am so forgetful lately, lost my keys like 5 times this month. Can't study properly cuz I never finish tasks

im sorry you’re struggling sm rn. I hope you’re able to get back on your meds. I lose my keys, etc ALL THE TIME! I’ve never been on meds but I hope to be soon., just gotta stop procrastinating on making an appointment
  • stkitty likes this

#9 Dollie Bones

Dollie Bones

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2751 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:49 AM

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I feel like actually getting on meds will help me a lot!!
  • stkitty likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users