Food allergies increasing with age? - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Food allergies increasing with age?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WinterFairie

WinterFairie

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:17 AM

Has anyone else experienced an uptick of food allergies as they get older?

I'm not saying this is related to 20+ years with a ED, probably the quality of foods declining.... but at 37 I how have allergies to gluten, dairy, coconut, some soy products, white potatoes, green bell peppers (not all nightshades), garlic, cane sugar, and buckwheat. These are not anaphylactic reactions but a host of other reactions from dermatitis, full body itching/hive, throat tightness without airway restriction, etc.

I know some of this is probably chemicals used in growing food in the US, even though I try to eat mostly organic. 

Makes me wish I could have enjoyed food at some point in my earlier life. 

The only benefit to learning about these allergies in the last several years is that cutting things out has really helped my joint discomfort and inflammation. 

At any rate, just curious! :)

...I enjoy the calming energy of trees, copious amounts of tea, hanging out with my gentleman of a cat, and meditation...

SW: 105
LW: 97
CW: 97

GW1: 95

#2 NLP

NLP

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2488 posts

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:01 AM

I believe we can become allergic at any point in our lives, to stuff we have eaten or used for ages.

And I guess human's immune systems weaken on ageing ?

I reckon we're being insidiously poisoned by food and product manufacturers which can't help at all

I'm gluten intolerant  and allergic to various other things, pollen, aspirin, dust, unknowns (!)  ,,,but recently onions seem to get me in such amount of pain and my stomach swells like a balloon, I simply daren't touch them now.

Back to your point - my friend grows her own and the effects of eating organic as opposed to supermarket ones, is hugely different, ie I can just about deal with hers whereas shop-bought literally have me writhing in agony.  Interesting,,,,,,,,,,,

• WinterFairie likes this

Functioning dysfunctionally

#3 WinterFairie

WinterFairie

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 09:32 PM

I believe we can become allergic at any point in our lives, to stuff we have eaten or used for ages.

And I guess human's immune systems weaken on ageing ?

I reckon we're being insidiously poisoned by food and product manufacturers which can't help at all

I'm gluten intolerant  and allergic to various other things, pollen, aspirin, dust, unknowns (!)  ,,,but recently onions seem to get me in such amount of pain and my stomach swells like a balloon, I simply daren't touch them now.

Back to your point - my friend grows her own and the effects of eating organic as opposed to supermarket ones, is hugely different, ie I can just about deal with hers whereas shop-bought literally have me writhing in agony.  Interesting,,,,,,,,,,,

NLP, I totally agree about growing your own organic produce reacting differently! Even when I lived in other countries, I had less allergies. 

What I find really interesting, is a few items that I have a reaction to, I never eat (like mushrooms and pecans). 

While this isn't an allergy, I can no longer metabolize caffeine! 

• NLP likes this

...I enjoy the calming energy of trees, copious amounts of tea, hanging out with my gentleman of a cat, and meditation...

#4 NLP

NLP

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2488 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:50 AM

NLP, I totally agree about growing your own organic produce reacting differently! Even when I lived in other countries, I had less allergies. 

What I find really interesting, is a few items that I have a reaction to, I never eat (like mushrooms and pecans). 

While this isn't an allergy, I can no longer metabolize caffeine! 

It's a fascinating subject for sure - and the 2 items you mention are so diverse (regarding food groups I mean) !!

I live in the UK and had horrendously awful hay feever since a child, yet when I've been abroad (to hot European countries, mostly) I;ve been absolutely fine.  So my conclusion there is air pollution,,,,,,,,

Caffeine.... hmm, I have a couple of strong ones in the a/m and have to leave it at that otherwise I'm awake all night lol

#5 WinterFairie

WinterFairie

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 10:41 PM

It's a fascinating subject for sure - and the 2 items you mention are so diverse (regarding food groups I mean) !!

I live in the UK and had horrendously awful hay feever since a child, yet when I've been abroad (to hot European countries, mostly) I;ve been absolutely fine.  So my conclusion there is air pollution,,,,,,,,

Caffeine.... hmm, I have a couple of strong ones in the a/m and have to leave it at that otherwise I'm awake all night lol

That is so interesting about the hay fever!! Air pollution is really a scary thing, isn't it....I found living Alberta was hard with the forest fires...but everything else was fabulous.

The body's response to foods and environmental factors is so interesting. 

When I lived in Scotland, my allergies were definitely less. But of course, I was in my 20s then. 

Do you have any allergies to spices due to which I believe is soil contamination? Basil is a big one here, if I grow it, no problem, if it's commercially grown, even organic, it's a problem. 

• NLP likes this

#6 NLP

NLP

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2488 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 07:19 AM

That is so interesting about the hay fever!! Air pollution is really a scary thing, isn't it....I found living Alberta was hard with the forest fires...but everything else was fabulous.

The body's response to foods and environmental factors is so interesting. 

When I lived in Scotland, my allergies were definitely less. But of course, I was in my 20s then. 

Do you have any allergies to spices due to which I believe is soil contamination? Basil is a big one here, if I grow it, no problem, if it's commercially grown, even organic, it's a problem. 

Spices + herbs, so far I'm ok with and I use a lot of both.

Cities are the worst for pollution, I've now been living near the sea for past 4yrs and feel so much better for it,,, and,,, well it could be coincidence or whatever but last summer when Covid had cut out travel (cars and planes) I barely had HF at all, nothing much to speak of anyway.

Be interesting to see what hails this year.

Where did you live in Scotland btw (sorry just curious, I love the place and have several good friends there)

#7 WinterFairie

WinterFairie

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 10:54 PM

Spices + herbs, so far I'm ok with and I use a lot of both.

Cities are the worst for pollution, I've now been living near the sea for past 4yrs and feel so much better for it,,, and,,, well it could be coincidence or whatever but last summer when Covid had cut out travel (cars and planes) I barely had HF at all, nothing much to speak of anyway.

Be interesting to see what hails this year.

Where did you live in Scotland btw (sorry just curious, I love the place and have several good friends there)

I lived in Glasgow (I was studying for my MLITT in Art History/research in medieval manuscripts), it was quite hard to leave, I really loved Scotland and being able to travel around there! I made it up to the Shetland Islands, and they might be one of the most beautiful lands I have traveled to. 

As terrible as Covid is, I think it did, maybe still is, reducing overall air pollution, so that is something positive. 

I miss traveling, I love seeing new places and historic sites...but not going out as much has actually helped my immune system, oddly enough, so I'm trying to find the silver lining. 

• NLP likes this

#8 NLP

NLP

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2488 posts

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:02 AM

I lived in Glasgow (I was studying for my MLITT in Art History/research in medieval manuscripts), it was quite hard to leave, I really loved Scotland and being able to travel around there! I made it up to the Shetland Islands, and they might be one of the most beautiful lands I have traveled to. 

As terrible as Covid is, I think it did, maybe still is, reducing overall air pollution, so that is something positive. 

I miss traveling, I love seeing new places and historic sites...but not going out as much has actually helped my immune system, oddly enough, so I'm trying to find the silver lining. 

Yes there has to be SOMETHING good that Covid has bought, plsd to hear that  :)

Glasgow, love those people, have seveal friends from there, thatmade me smile reading above TY

And I've not done the Shetands but recommend the Black Isle should you ever return.  Oh and the accent is to die for !!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users