How to be supportive - ARFID - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

How to be supportive

1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:00 AM

I have a friend you I believe has ARFID. She won’t eat any yellow or orange food. She is also vegan. Her diet is limited to berries, nuts, figs, dark chocolate, soy milk, kale, spinach and strangely sometimes seafood. I am scared she will become ill from malnutrition, she is quite underweight and has lanuga. One the topic of eating disorders she is in denial, but also says she knows she’s too thin, and wants to try new foods. But the reality is she always eats the same things. I want to support her, and I don’t bring up eating disorders with her as I’m afraid she’ll think I’m judging or psychoanalysing her. Cab anyone who has ARFID let me know what they’d want from a friend in terms of support? I want her to know I’m there for here but I don’t want to be condescending and it’s a delicate subject that I feel I can’t bring up without hurting her.

#2 pastafreak

pastafreak

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12739 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:37 AM

It's wonderful that you care about her health, but ultimately you are not her therapist and cannot diagnose her with or treat her for ARFID or any other ED. Plus, you don't see every meal she eats. Perhaps she eats a wider variety of food when you're not around.

I think the best thing you can do is avoid talking about food or weight around her in case she does have an ED and wait for her to open up about an ED or to ask you for help expanding her diet.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users