lying to a new doctor? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

lying to a new doctor?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 starrygemini

starrygemini

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:35 AM

i go to college in a different state than my hometown, and i had to go to the doctor the other day to get prescribed a med, so decided to just get a primary physician at the doctor’s office on my campus since i live here year round.

when i was filling out the forms i checked the ‘no’ box for getting my past medical records transferred and also decided not to check off any illnesses associated with my ed, or any other mental illnesses that im diagnosed with in my medical records. i said that i’ve had no recent hospitalizations, even though i’ve been hospitalized for my ed. the doctor asked me if being underweight is normal for me and i said yes, that i’ve always been around this weight.

now i’m genuinely wondering if this was a bad thing to do and if i should resubmit my forms online with my actual information. but in the moment i just panicked and didn’t want a new doctor bothering me about ed stuff. has anyone else done this?
  • stkitty likes this
height: 5'2cw: 100 lbslw: 85 lbs<p>gw1: 96 lbs

#2 EnbyPieceOfShit200

EnbyPieceOfShit200

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:47 AM

I mean right now it might not matter but if something happens because of the mental illnesses or their side effects or if you'd need meds and stuff because of something with your MI's, it might be important for them to know that you already had hospitalizations and diagnosed mental illnesses. 

I don't know exactly how that works but I don't think they put this stuff in the records simply because they can

• morningbird and starrygemini like this

Height: 5'4.4

HW :   113    BMI: 19.4
LW:       93   .BMI: 15.8

CW:    102.8 BMI: 17.4

- - - - - - -  - -

GW:
1.  105lbs     BMI: 17.8  reached: 2/24/21

2.  100lbs     BMI: 17.0
3.    94lbs     BMI: 15.9

4.    85lbs     BMI: 14.4

5.    80lbs     BMI: 13.6

6.    65lbs     BMI: 11.0

"And in the end, everyone dies, if you don't follow
your goals, you may as well die now, because what

is life, when you only live to suffer, stay strong, 
don't eat and reach your goals. Because that's
the only thing that you live for."

#3 dancinggirl

dancinggirl

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1548 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:54 AM

Well if he is trying to diagnose issues that come up, you have put him at a disadvantage and mistakes could be made. Then again, it is your life to risk.
<p>Height: 5'0" CW: 67 lbs. HW: 110 lbs. LW: 61 lbs.

#4 jackalyvia

jackalyvia

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5008 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:39 AM

Always a bad idea to lie to medical professionals, can lead to wrong and dangerous diagnoses and/or treatments for example if you were having heart palpitations and they dont know anything about your ed history it could be written off as a one time thing when you could have possible heart damage or a much more serious problem
"Beatus istos ille, circa pes ad terra" (Blessed art thou with thier feet to the ground)<p>-RUNNING IS LIFE-
H - 5'9" goal - 99? Why not hahahahaha
I'm definitely falling in a rabbit hole now....

#5 morningbird

morningbird

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1391 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in space

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:33 AM

yeah i don't think lying to medical people is ever a good idea. their goal after all is just to keep you safe. 

• starrygemini likes this

163cm / 5'4

HW: 52kg / 115lbs

LW: 37kg / 82lbs

CW: 34.4 kg / 75.8 lbs BMI: 13.2 (new formula)

GW: 40kg / 88lbs

GW2: 35kg / 77lbs

UGW: does not exist

#6 foreigngirl

foreigngirl

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:35 PM

I know it's not a good idea, but I've done it myself many times - lied about my weight being higher than it was, about me eating normally when I was not, about me being naturally skinny and the list goes on. Of course never mentioned I used to have an ED or that I still have it.

#7 stkitty

stkitty

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2095 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 01:42 PM

It's probably a good idea to tell the truth at least somewhat, mention hospitalizations and that you're not naturally underweight ig.

#8 starrygemini

starrygemini

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:37 PM

It's probably a good idea to tell the truth at least somewhat, mention hospitalizations and that you're not naturally underweight ig.

yeah i was thinking could possibly just mark my diagnosis accurately and the hospitalizations but that they’re past ones and that i don’t struggle with it anymore.
  • stkitty likes this
height: 5'2cw: 100 lbslw: 85 lbs<p>gw1: 96 lbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users