How did you stop/minimised purging ? - Bulimia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How did you stop/minimised purging ?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 shadana

shadana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:59 AM

bp has become a daily habbit for me.,as soon as i awaken i b/p everyday up to 4x. i aslo think i fucked my stomach up :/ im constantly too unmotivated to purge next thing u no 6-11 hours has passed and everything still comes up. i also wanna stop bcs my face looks like a fking balloon  <_<  any tips on how u stopped or atleast minimized it would rllyrlly help :) .

• Ang3lina likes this

#2 Todestrieb

Todestrieb

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:05 AM

Hey. Sorry you're going through this. I had a similar face at some point, and it was really hard.

What helped me personally is planning my binges ahead (like once or twice a week) and not allow myself to binge in the meantime (mostly restricting).

Exercising, walking, going out... Anything to keep me busy and be around people. I don't like to purge around people so, it prevented me from doing it.

Seeking help, ultimately, when shit went out of hand and I was really stressed. Professional help to talk about it and work on it.

It's a long way but I'm sure you can find yours to feel better.

Also, most of the time I was so tired of b/p that I would kinda hear my conscious talking to me, telling me stuff like 'you know you don't wanna live this way, right?'

Well, at some point I actually started to listen. Sometimes it meant stopping mid-binge or mid-purge, sometimes in the middle of binge haul just putting everything back on the shelves and go for a walk instead of b/p.

• shadana and Ang3lina like this

#3 Ang3lina

Ang3lina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:07 AM

I'd literally just leave the house on a walk. I'd go nowhere near shops or anywhere near food, I'd just walk for hours with either a podcast or a recording of a uni lecture playing in the background. It was super helpful as I didn't have the temptation around me, I couldn't just run and get food, I was miles away from it.

It takes awhile for your face to return to normal, but if you try hard at it friend, you can fix it.

Best of luck to you!

• shadana likes this

height: 159cm

SW: 52kg

CW: 48kg

GW: 44kg

UGW: 38kg

#4 shadana

shadana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:16 AM

I'd literally just leave the house on a walk. I'd go nowhere near shops or anywhere near food, I'd just walk for hours with either a podcast or a recording of a uni lecture playing in the background. It was super helpful as I didn't have the temptation around me, I couldn't just run and get food, I was miles away from it.

It takes awhile for your face to return to normal, but if you try hard at it friend, you can fix it.

Best of luck to you!

Hey. Sorry you're going through this. I had a similar face at some point, and it was really hard.

What helped me personally is planning my binges ahead (like once or twice a week) and not allow myself to binge in the meantime (mostly restricting).

Exercising, walking, going out... Anything to keep me busy and be around people. I don't like to purge around people so, it prevented me from doing it.

Seeking help, ultimately, when shit went out of hand and I was really stressed. Professional help to talk about it and work on it.

It's a long way but I'm sure you can find yours to feel better.

Also, most of the time I was so tired of b/p that I would kinda hear my conscious talking to me, telling me stuff like 'you know you don't wanna live this way, right?'

Well, at some point I actually started to listen. Sometimes it meant stopping mid-binge or mid-purge, sometimes in the middle of binge haul just putting everything back on the shelves and go for a walk instead of b/p.

Thanks for the suggs but i cant leave the house nor find help. which is why its rlly hard to stop  :(

• Ang3lina likes this

#5 Ang3lina

Ang3lina

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:49 AM

Thanks for the suggs but i cant leave the house nor find help. which is why its rlly hard to stop  :(

:( That's no good, another thing that used to help me was planning my meals, I still had binges occasionally, but meal planning and prepping really helped.

height: 159cm

SW: 52kg

CW: 48kg

GW: 44kg

UGW: 38kg

#6 immyu

immyu

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:07 AM

my boyfriend knows about my eating issues, so when I feel "the urge" I tell him immediately. For some reason, telling someone when I feel even the slightest urge helps it go away for me. 

Things that I tell myself that help:

- b/p is temporary satisfaction. NOT b/p is long-term satisfaction

- both trying not to b/p and giving in to the urge are hard. So choose your hard

- u don't have to try so hard to make the urge go away. it's ok to allow discomfort. ppl don't expand their comfort zone by staying in it. Allowing discomfort is an opportunity to become a different & better version of yourself

- B/p is never worth it. I know I ALWAYS regret it

- look at the big picture. is b/p really your true desire? is this really what you want to continue 10 years from now? what are your goals? is this what your future self would want? 

Also recognizing your excuses and justifications to give into the urge. perhaps write them down.

for example, mine are:
- it was a hard day

- i deserve it

- it's just this once

- i already ate so much today might as well just blow it

When I write them down and hear it later from myself, I know they're not my logical thoughts but just a fleeting moment thing.

Hope this helps! So far I'm almost 1 year into recovery with b/p! It hasn't been a linear progress, which is totally normal! But trust me it's possible! 💜 

• skinniestbitchalive likes this

#7 kitn

kitn

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2114 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 09:26 AM

choose your hard

this helped me more than you will ever know

• immyu likes this
Spoiler

#8 broken_butterfly_xx

broken_butterfly_xx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1928 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 12:49 PM

bp has become a daily habbit for me.,as soon as i awaken i b/p everyday up to 4x. i aslo think i fucked my stomach up :/ im constantly too unmotivated to purge next thing u no 6-11 hours has passed and everything still comes up. i also wanna stop bcs my face looks like a fking balloon <_< any tips on how u stopped or atleast minimized it would rllyrlly help :) .

So I’m just gonna insert something I wrote somewhere else:

Okay so. I have not purged since ?? Maybe a year? But I’ve not considered myself bulimic sine 2018 and since then I’ve only had very small relapses.

First of you gotta give up the idea of weight loss and counting calories. Or at least you gotta eat 3-6 meals a day and try to keep them normal size and focus on nutrition value (get carbs, protein and fat in every meal). I strongly advice you to get a dietician involved because that way you give the control over to someone else who can rationalize your inner ED thoughts like portion sizes...

Therapy is also important. Or at least having some form of support network. It helps to have someone know what you are going through and it helps so so much to be honest and talk about it. Talk about your feelings. Allow yourself to vent to people. Tell them how shitty you feel and how scared you are and let them support you through those emotions. Bottling up was what got you here in the first place.. at least for me.

Bulimia and other eating disorders are all about secrecy and hiding. So opening up and being honest every time you fall back really helps. It makes you question why you think you need the disorder, why you need to purge. If you can’t tell someone at least journal and question yourself about it and admit to yourself how you feel and also try not to be too harsh on yourself.

You don’t have to love yourself to recover but you do have to learn to accept yourself and most importantly FORGIVE yourself.

Every time you do something that you think is stupid, tell yourself that it is okay and that you forgive yourself for that thing.

In terms of eating how I started:

I had foods that were safe for me and foods that were unsafe. I found that every food that wasn’t safe I would purge or restrict on it.

So I added a new food to my safe food: nuts.

I started consuming nuts because they felt healthy and they had both protein and fat that I knew deep down my body desperately needed.

I had a support team around me who helped me with food but I cheated them a lot even when I did decide I was really gonna try to get better.

Without them I don’t think I’d pushed as hard as I did. They made me feel like I could do this.

Anyways I started eating nuts and keeping them down while I would still binge/purge outside of this.

But as this continued I slowly tried to stop purging meals too and just purge binges and then later I stopped purging binges. I would still binge but I would be full from normal food so it wouldn’t be so excessive.

I realized in this process that the reason that I b/ped so much (when I was at my worst) was actually mainly because of pure raw hunger. I was so hungry so the binging had escalated. So to stop binging and purging - or to eliminate a big portion of it - it was so so important that I wasn’t starving.

I don’t have an actual answer for anyone specific recovery. Each persons journey is different and if I’m completely honest there’s chunks of time I don’t really remember or recall correctly.

I remember using other people’s eating pattern/portion sizes to guide me. Eating with other people help me regulate what was too much or too little food.
I went on vacation that year and I copied those around me when we were eating and I felt so free because I didn’t feel like a prisoner to the rules I always used to follow.

After you start eating “normally” comes the hard part. Because you have to keep doing it but you might start figuring out why you started having an ED and you might not always like what you find. Like.. I have borderline and I used to use bulimia to regulate emotions. Before I found bulimia I used to use cutting.

I don’t cut now and I don’t use bulimia either. But I do still go through hardships and have to deal with them without hurting myself. It’s not always easy which is why therapy is so important and maybe even medicine (everyone’s different and that’s ok).

I don’t know how easy it is to read what I wrote but I do like sharing about this stuff. I still feel like my biggest accomplishment in life has been beating bulimia

• Dieanax likes this

tumblr_nm8x4cxAfc1tcykw8o1_500.gif

#9 Dieanax

Dieanax

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:31 PM

So I’m just gonna insert something I wrote somewhere else:

hi! i just wanted to say that this was so helpful/reassuring/encouraging to read & to thank you for sharing (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • broken_butterfly_xx likes this

5'7
hw:119lbs(bmi 18.6)
cw: 96lbs (bmi 15)
lw:75lbs(bmi 11.8)

currently in forced treatment. fun.

#10 0pustyleb

0pustyleb

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:45 PM

forced recovery. my mum would watch me whenever i showered or went to the toilet

#11 broken_butterfly_xx

broken_butterfly_xx

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1928 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 10:54 PM

hi! i just wanted to say that this was so helpful/reassuring/encouraging to read & to thank you for sharing (:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m glad that my experience at least can be helpful to others. But shit it was horrible. Recovering was like the hardest thing I’ve ever done. But. It is possible.

Good luck to you on your journey. I wish you all the best xx
  • Dieanax likes this

tumblr_nm8x4cxAfc1tcykw8o1_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users