could restriction be the reason its harder to play my instrument? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

could restriction be the reason its harder to play my instrument?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 sxd.lil.shxt

sxd.lil.shxt

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Locationno fucking idea

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:28 PM

sorry if this sounds like a silly question and a bit off topic, but...
i'm in high school band, and i play a clarinet. and recently, i've noticed it's getting harder to play. i have to take way more breaths in between than usual, and even then it's taking way too much effort to use the amount of air i need to make a full sound. i'm beginning to suspect it's due to my not eating alot, but i just wanted to ask. do any of you think it could be this? also if anyone else also happens to play a wind instrument, did you start having difficulty playing?
  • bitchb4by likes this

#2 AntiqueHighHeelRedDollShoe

AntiqueHighHeelRedDollShoe

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • LocationDefinitely not at the bottom of this box of wine

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:31 PM

Yeah, I think so. I'm a vocalist as opposed to a wind instrumentalist, but I've noticed that general weakness and fatigue from restriction definitely affect my ability to project vocally, and stay on key. My tone isn't as good, either. It's like trying to sing when I'm really tired, but all the time. <3 

• sabian and nonyabusnass like this

5'6.5"/cis female/pear shape 

#3 envyadams

envyadams

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Locationhalfaxa

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:34 PM

Possibly. I play the flute, and while I never really had an issue with it, it's different for everyone.

HW: 136.5lbs | LW: 110lbs | CW: 114.2 lbs | GW1: 120lbs | GW2: 115lbs | GW3: 110lbs | UGW: 105lbs :D

5'2

art angel

Competitive figure skater, grimes enthusiast, literary extraordinaire

#4 petrov

petrov

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 03:42 PM

I've been meaning to make a post about this forever lol. I'm a brass player and I definitely feel this. Shortness of breath is one of my most noticeable side effects when restricting, and it also makes me lose motivation to practice. There isn't much research on this, but I did find some studies that showed weakening lungs can be a symptom of anorexia. It's possible you're also exercising less if you're restricting, so you may just be in worse shape in general.

#5 ThatCookieGirl

ThatCookieGirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 04:56 PM

I play flute, and I've noticed that it's harder to play on lower restriction days, but that's probably due to fatigue.

Hearts for March:

🤍🤍🤍🤍🤍🤍🤍🤍🤍🤍

#6 sacrosanctmoth

sacrosanctmoth

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:01 PM

Third flautist here! I think it could be the restriction. I had this sometimes but not very often. Nowadays I feel faint more easily so those days are harder for playing.

#7 KingOfClowns

KingOfClowns

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:11 PM

I’ve been singing for a while, and playing guitar/uke for a few years. Both immediately suffered from my restriction.
My hands became far more weak and lost much of their resistance to the strings. An hour of playing will leave painful marks for a day or so, but I don’t think I’ve lost any dexterity.
As far as breath, I really try hard. My Kung Fu days taught me a bit about breathe and exercise but even with technique I just don’t have the inhale-power to keep up with forceful singing as the strain ruins my tone at the end of any given note. I haven’t passed out yet but I think I could if I pushed it.

In short: Yeah, but it’s to be expected. Could it also be a motivation thing?
  • nonyabusnass likes this

@-'--,---

#8 NewStart101

NewStart101

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:17 PM

Yes, I’m a singer and a few voice teachers have said before that diet will most definitely affect the vocal quality. In terms of not eating, this will change the stomach acids and hydration of the throat. And breath wise, I think it’s to do with your body prioritising blood circulation and deep breathing. It sucks because eating certain things can mess this up too. Just make sure you’re hydrated I guess...

#9 nobodyatall

nobodyatall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Locationmassachusetts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:29 PM

yes, i think its hurting my technique too. i used to play the guitar, but my arms started to get really tired and sore from fretting and strumming even for just a few minutes. my fingers also get really cold and i cant get enough pressure on the strings now

• KingOfClowns likes this

18 enby

any pronouns

------------------------------------------

height: 5'2

hw: 92 lbs (2018) | lw: 82 lbs | cw: 85 lbs | gw:70 lbs 

#10 YukisYuuki

YukisYuuki

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:12 PM

Yes definitely
My brain can't keep up with memorizing sheet music and fast fingerings anymore (violin btw lol)

Look so good I might die 

#11 kkonminambishonen

kkonminambishonen

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Locationi hate it here

Posted 23 February 2021 - 06:22 PM

for me (i play flute) it was more of like a focus thing, and i couldn't concentrate on my music like at all

Tumblr: kkonminambishonen

콫미남 美少年

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users