Breastfeeding - Parents with ED - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Breastfeeding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 littleida

littleida

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 05:38 PM

hey guys. I haven’t been on here in a really long time. I just had a baby and gained literally 50 pounds and I’ve been breastfeeding him , I was wondering if any of you guys breastfed while eating extremely low cal?

#2 kerelu

kerelu

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:02 PM

Not personally, but from everyone I know, any time they tried to diet, their milk supply suffered.  

• TheShowMustGoOn and pheythe like this

#3 greenteavegan

greenteavegan

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 27 February 2021 - 11:20 PM

Your milk supply will not only dry up, the milk will also not contain the nutrients it's supposed to have, which is not good for your baby. So please only high restrict if at all! Even better, calculate your TDEE and eat that, you will still loose on that as exclusivly breastfeeding burns about 400 extra cals a day.
lw: 42kg (170cm)
cw: 49kg

#4 ~Valkyrie~

~Valkyrie~

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 March 2021 - 10:16 AM

Even better, calculate your TDEE and eat that, you will still loose on that as exclusivly breastfeeding burns about 400 extra cals a day.

This is not correct.

I ate at TDEE, exercised, breast fed, and still did not lose weight. 

OP, just try to eat at TDEE and feed your baby. You have time to lose the weight. Some of the weight will be water and you'll lose it quickly. Eat well, drink plenty of water, and feed your little one.

#5 greenteavegan

greenteavegan

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 03 March 2021 - 04:24 PM

This is not correct.

I ate at TDEE, exercised, breast fed, and still did not lose weight. 

OP, just try to eat at TDEE and feed your baby. You have time to lose the weight. Some of the weight will be water and you'll lose it quickly. Eat well, drink plenty of water, and feed your little one.

As far as I know this is mathematically correct, BUT it is also common for a number of women to have hormonal changes influence their thyroid and metabolism, making them keep their weight on until they are done breastfeeding. I just checked some sources in English (the studies I've read when I wrote about the 400cals aren't in English, so there is no much use in me quoting them I guess) and they even estimate higher than this, this page list credible resources and explains it well I think: https://www.llli.org...t-loss-mothers/
So, yes, your experience is valid and normal, but breastfeedind does burn a whole lot of extra calories wheater it is 400 or even up to 700 calories. Not everyone looses a lot of weight due to that, but breastfeeding still burns that much - not loosing weight will be due to other factors like hormonal changes that influence the thyroid and therefore the matabolic rate. Some women also have an increased appetite due to breastfeeding, we haven't even talked about that. There are probably a whole bunch of reasons I'm not thinking of right now, so I think you gave really good advice saying OP should just eat TDEE and feed her baby! I second that!
lw: 42kg (170cm)
cw: 49kg

#6 Fitbitty

Fitbitty

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 06:15 AM

I'm still breastfeeding my now toddler i didn't serverly restrict until just after she was about 1 as she was established on solids by then and milk wasn't her main source of nutrients. I was able to loose weight prior just by working out my TDEE and calorie counting and my milk didn't dry up at all even now I'm still feeding her often as a 20 month old and restricting quite a bit and all good. I make sure I take vitamins and drink plenty of water tho.
Tbh I was actually really really good the first year good with myself and then I spiralled over the last few months and am back to my ED ways.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
  • Skeleton Smiling likes this

#7 TheShowMustGoOn

TheShowMustGoOn

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 10:14 PM

Have you thought about formula? It’s what I had to do. I knew I wasn’t getting enough to feed my baby so I stopped breastfeeding at around 10 months.

I’m pregnant now and I’m going to try and make it to a year but I already feel myself relapsing hard. Hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bubblegum Bitch
2dqvkfr
Flat Tummy & Tight Booty

Height: 5'5"
33-25-36
CW: 120lbs

GW's: 120lbs, 115lbs, 110lbs, 107lbs  

UGW:100lbs

"I was naive

Your love was like candy
Artificially sweet
I was deceived by the wrapping
Got caught in your web
And I learned how to bleed
I was prey in your bed
And devoured completely"

#8 deterministic chaos

deterministic chaos

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 07 June 2021 - 05:08 AM

If you have a lot of excess weight you can definitely breastfeed and eat minimally...how do you guys think all these mothers in third world countries managed to breastfeed their children? Despite a lot of them being underweight, they still had a milk supply.

Bodies will prioritise the infant and draw fat from stores in your body, as well as stored nutrients and vitamins so YOU, the adult, will suffer as a result but the baby will not. Breastmilk is made from the blood, not your stomach contents. Just keep hydrated.

• Skeleton Smiling likes this

Dee | 25 | 5'7

HW: 242lbs

LW: 189lbs

CW: 217lbs

perpetual binge eater

217, 216, 215, 214, 213, 212, 211, 210, 209, 208, 207, 206, 205, 204, 203, 202, 201, 200, 199, 198, 197, 196, 195, 194, 193, 192, 191, 190, 189...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users