Best harm reduction tips? - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Best harm reduction tips?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 anoshrekxic

anoshrekxic

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationShrek's swamp

Posted 24 February 2021 - 06:58 PM

when I am able to discharge from outpatient I'm going to relapse however this time I want to relapse as "safely" as possible while I'm not ready to recover I want my life to be the least miserable it can. And I was wondering if anyone had harm reduction tips.   

hbmi:19.00

cbmi: 16.7

lbmi:14.5

gbmi:<13.5

last updated- 10/18/2021

#2 munt

munt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:10 PM

Trying to eat a balance of nutrients is good to keep you feeling normal for longer. Identify something safe with sugar you can keep in a purse or something so you can eat it without guilt when feeling very faint. I personally cant fast, the job I have keeps me on my feet all day and if I go to bed hungry I grow extremely sick and weak in the early morning shifts. So I try to eat something substantial (like an egg) in the morning. And harm reduction extends to your mental health, too. Just be gentle with yourself and if you aren't "losing weight fast enough" just know you will in time. The slower you do the less awful you will feel.

• beetle and anoshrekxic like this

#3 ChibiBunny

ChibiBunny

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6397 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:15 PM

Keep your electrolyte levels in check using electrolyte replacement drinks, high restrict, take your meds. Drink plenty of water.

Try to treat yourself kindly and do things that are better for your mental health, like avoiding weighing every day. 

• beetle and anoshrekxic like this

I'm literally just a mess at this point:

mess
/mes/

noun

a dirty or untidy state of things or of a place

2. a situation or state of affairs that is confused or full of difficulties.

3-princess-carolyn-my-life-.jpg

#4 anoshrekxic

anoshrekxic

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationShrek's swamp

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:34 PM

Trying to eat a balance of nutrients is good to keep you feeling normal for longer. Identify something safe with sugar you can keep in a purse or something so you can eat it without guilt when feeling very faint. I personally cant fast, the job I have keeps me on my feet all day and if I go to bed hungry I grow extremely sick and weak in the early morning shifts. So I try to eat something substantial (like an egg) in the morning. And harm reduction extends to your mental health, too. Just be gentle with yourself and if you aren't "losing weight fast enough" just know you will in time. The slower you do the less awful you will feel.

Keep your electrolyte levels in check using electrolyte replacement drinks, high restrict, take your meds. Drink plenty of water.

Try to treat yourself kindly and do things that are better for your mental health, like avoiding weighing every day. 

Thank you so much <3

last updated- 10/18/2021

#5 catwomans

catwomans

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • LocationGotham

Posted 24 February 2021 - 07:36 PM

vitamins help

• anoshrekxic likes this

171cm | UGW: 99 lbs | CW: 18.2 BMI | she/her

#6 vodkasodapls123

vodkasodapls123

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:06 PM

I know it’s higher calorie and can be scary, but try your best to get protein in. It will help you in the long run to not feel faint.
  • anoshrekxic likes this

#7 whiskerz

whiskerz

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2660 posts
  • LocationU.S.-MN

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:42 PM

1 food groups for each meal to keep your nutrients up. Yes, it will be high calorie, but it will help. Find lower calorie alternatives if you have to. Example:

Breakfast: egg white (protein) spinach (veggie) orange (fruit) toast (carb) butter (fat)
Lunch: tuna salad (protein, fat) celery stick (veggie) apple (fruit) crackers (carb)

Fats can be scary, but you don't need a lot to get the benefits. Some creamer in your coffee, or a whole egg instead of egg white, or just a tablespoon of mayo (50 calories!).
  • anoshrekxic likes this

#8 anoshrekxic

anoshrekxic

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationShrek's swamp

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:47 PM

1 food groups for each meal to keep your nutrients up. Yes, it will be high calorie, but it will help. Find lower calorie alternatives if you have to. Example:

Breakfast: egg white (protein) spinach (veggie) orange (fruit) toast (carb) butter (fat)
Lunch: tuna salad (protein, fat) celery stick (veggie) apple (fruit) crackers (carb)

Fats can be scary, but you don't need a lot to get the benefits. Some creamer in your coffee, or a whole egg instead of egg white, or just a tablespoon of mayo (50 calories!).

Thank you so much for this it's really reassuring! I was thinking of doing an egg white protein shake the has 50% of the recommended protein for low cal + breakfast and lunch.  Thanks for the examples!  

last updated- 10/18/2021

#9 whiskerz

whiskerz

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2660 posts
  • LocationU.S.-MN

Posted 24 February 2021 - 08:51 PM

Thank you so much for this it's really reassuring! I was thinking of doing an egg white protein shake the has 50% of the recommended protein for low cal + breakfast and lunch. Thanks for the examples!

I recommend doing real meals so that the transitioning between your relapse/ recovery mindsets will be easier currently and in the future. Also, living off liquids is miserable and can be terrible for your health. Obviously your decision! Stay safe please xx
  • anoshrekxic likes this

#10 anoshrekxic

anoshrekxic

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationShrek's swamp

Posted 24 February 2021 - 10:56 PM

vitamins help

I know it’s higher calorie and can be scary, but try your best to get protein in. It will help you in the long run to not feel faint.

thank you guys so much<3

• catwomans likes this

last updated- 10/18/2021

#11 anoshrekxic

anoshrekxic

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationShrek's swamp

Posted 24 February 2021 - 11:29 PM

I recommend doing real meals so that the transitioning between your relapse/ recovery mindsets will be easier currently and in the future. Also, living off liquids is miserable and can be terrible for your health. Obviously your decision! Stay safe please xx

I just realized how badly I worded that lmao. I meant in addition to the meals I will also have the protein shake to up my protein. Also 100% agree on how living off liquids is awful.

last updated- 10/18/2021

#12 whiskerz

whiskerz

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 2660 posts
  • LocationU.S.-MN

Posted 25 February 2021 - 08:01 PM

I just realized how badly I worded that lmao. I meant in addition to the meals I will also have the protein shake to up my protein. Also 100% agree on how living off liquids is awful.

Oh good, im very relieved! That sounds like a pretty good idea to try!
  • anoshrekxic likes this

#13 LexiasEffect

LexiasEffect

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Locationhell, generally speaking

Posted 25 February 2021 - 11:32 PM

Vitamins, for sure. Always take them with food or some kind of liquid heavier than water/that has a few calories.

Keep your water intake up. I swear half the scary things people post about are related to dehydration. That being said, also keep your salts up. Potassium, magnesium, & sodium are very necessary.

Don't waterload. If you absolutely must, use something like Gatorade, that has salts in it so you don't develop hyponatremia.

Try to eat a balance of macros, as others have said. Mfp actually will show you under 'nutrition' if you've met your macro balance goals.

I def recommend keeping a snack on you at all times. I like That's It bars bc they're low cal & it's natural sugar. They can be a bit expensive, tho.

Try to limit your caffeine intake. Too much can cause heart issues, or worsen them.

Please stay safe!

Anarcho-Anorexic
  • 2BeThinEnough and anoshrekxic like this
There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. - Ernest Hemingway 

weight.png

Spoiler

:mellow:  :ph34r:  :mellow:

#14 xxl

xxl

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 7004 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 12:57 AM

hydrate 

multivitamin

nutritious meals

high restriction 

all 3 meals (even if they are small, just continuously) 

no fasting-low restriction is better than full on fasting

• anoshrekxic likes this

#15 eatlessbmore

eatlessbmore

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:49 AM

* be very kind to yourself. Take time to love and honor yourself in the way you would want to love and honor a child or an animal you care very deeply for.
* Cultivate patience. Trust that things (weight, life, etc) are working out. Trust in yourself as well.
* Focus on nutrients, but keep that focus gentle. Maybe make sure you have veggies at your main meal or eat protein at every meal. Allow yourself something "indulgent" and be kind to yourself as you eat and after you eat. Say kind words. Think kind, loving thoughts. You can retrain your brain when it comes to this, even if it feels silly.
* I recommend exercising regularly. It doesn't have to be a lot, but I find that it's helped me feel like a stronger person both inside and out, like I can handle things energetically now that I felt so weak and vulnerable around before. Plus it allows me to eat a bit more aka more balanced nutrients and still satisfy my ED's mental needs and body goals.
* Let go of judging yourself. Let go of judging your ED. This isn't done just once, but whenever the urge to judge yourself comes up. You are good enough even if who you are isn't what society seems 100% correct. Society's ideas about correct are often foolish, arbitrary, and change every 5 years.
  • anoshrekxic likes this

#16 Venice Bitch

Venice Bitch

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationGreece, Europe

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:50 AM

1 tbs of olive oil helped me keep my period , I know, it may seem terrifying but it actually helped me. Also vitamin e supplements.
  • anoshrekxic likes this

#17 eatlessbmore

eatlessbmore

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:51 AM

And I totally agree with everyone on the vitamins and minerals. Add a d3 supplement as well. It has helped me greatly with aches and pains that came from lockdown (very little sun at that time) and healed issues I didn't even realize were due to a nutrient deficiency (earrings being too heavy for my ears.. my earlobes now hold them up easily)
  • anoshrekxic likes this

#18 2BeThinEnough

2BeThinEnough

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4601 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 26 February 2021 - 04:32 AM

* be very kind to yourself. Take time to love and honor yourself in the way you would want to love and honor a child or an animal you care very deeply for.
* Cultivate patience. Trust that things (weight, life, etc) are working out. Trust in yourself as well.
* Focus on nutrients, but keep that focus gentle. Maybe make sure you have veggies at your main meal or eat protein at every meal. Allow yourself something "indulgent" and be kind to yourself as you eat and after you eat. Say kind words. Think kind, loving thoughts. You can retrain your brain when it comes to this, even if it feels silly.
* I recommend exercising regularly. It doesn't have to be a lot, but I find that it's helped me feel like a stronger person both inside and out, like I can handle things energetically now that I felt so weak and vulnerable around before. Plus it allows me to eat a bit more aka more balanced nutrients and still satisfy my ED's mental needs and body goals.
* Let go of judging yourself. Let go of judging your ED. This isn't done just once, but whenever the urge to judge yourself comes up. You are good enough even if who you are isn't what society seems 100% correct. Society's ideas about correct are often foolish, arbitrary, and change every 5 years.

This was very lovely

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
  • anoshrekxic and eatlessbmore like this

#19 anoshrekxic

anoshrekxic

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationShrek's swamp

Posted 26 February 2021 - 09:23 AM

Vitamins, for sure. Always take them with food or some kind of liquid heavier than water/that has a few calories.

Keep your water intake up. I swear half the scary things people post about are related to dehydration. That being said, also keep your salts up. Potassium, magnesium, & sodium are very necessary.

Don't waterload. If you absolutely must, use something like Gatorade, that has salts in it so you don't develop hyponatremia.

Try to eat a balance of macros, as others have said. Mfp actually will show you under 'nutrition' if you've met your macro balance goals.

I def recommend keeping a snack on you at all times. I like That's It bars bc they're low cal & it's natural sugar. They can be a bit expensive, tho.

Try to limit your caffeine intake. Too much can cause heart issues, or worsen them.

Please stay safe!

Anarcho-Anorexic

hydrate 

multivitamin

nutritious meals

high restriction 

all 3 meals (even if they are small, just continuously) 

no fasting-low restriction is better than full on fasting

1 tbs of olive oil helped me keep my period , I know, it may seem terrifying but it actually helped me. Also vitamin e supplements.

And I totally agree with everyone on the vitamins and minerals. Add a d3 supplement as well. It has helped me greatly with aches and pains that came from lockdown (very little sun at that time) and healed issues I didn't even realize were due to a nutrient deficiency (earrings being too heavy for my ears.. my earlobes now hold them up easily)

You guys are so nice, thank you so so much!

• LexiasEffect, Venice Bitch and eatlessbmore like this

last updated- 10/18/2021

#20 Blighty

Blighty

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 25 November 2021 - 09:06 PM

Vitamin b12, d3, and vitamin e!

If you low restrict, don't fear salty foods. I personally recommend seasoning food with iodized salt (as opposed to sea salt), as low iodine can really fuck with your body. And eat pickles!

As many people already said above, focusing on fat and protein will help you stay satiated longer and help your body actually use fat soluble vitamins.

Therapy! Medication (if it applies)! Can't stress that enough. You don't even need to bring up your ED in therapy, it can be helpful for so many other things. My therapist knows about my ED but we mainly discuss distress tolerance + other DBT skills for managing my BPD.

Honor your hunger. I know that sounds absurd on this forum but if you can avoid the mentality of hunger pains as "winning," you'll be giving your mind-body connection a little bit of love amidst the destruction, lmao. For you that might mean just eating a bit of cheese or an apple when you're feeling hungry, but listening to those signals even when you're restricting does wonders imo.

Obviously that doesn't work so well if you're constantly hungry like I am, but at this point I pretty much throw a walnut or apple slice in my mouth once I start to get the rumblies. It's a start

| 5'5" | 27 y/o | Vegetarian | Non-binary | EDNOS | CW: 137.4 lbs |

SW: 206 lbs GW1: 160 lbs GW2: 150 lbs GW3: 140 lbs GW4: 130 lbs GW5: 120 lbs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users