Skincare! - Age 30+ - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Skincare!

aging mature skin anti-aging skincare

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tutifruitibooti

tutifruitibooti

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 February 2021 - 03:19 PM

So I've recently started Phase 2 of my pandemic/pre-40th Glow Up, which means skincare!

I would really love to know what skincare products you can't live without, which ones didn't work, whatever you want to say,

I discovered The Ordinary/DECIEM and I'm trying out some of their product. So far I haven't got any longterm experience because I'm introducing them slowly to rule out reactions or breakouts.

- Hylamide SubQ Skin - love it, the first two days I used like 8 drops on my face it was so dry. Now I'm down to 3 for face, 2 for neck/chest. I think I'm purging because I keep getting this quick breakouts that come and resolve in 2 days. But my skin is SO SOFT and I use half the amount of moisturizer I used to

- Argiriline - using on my "Elevens" which is actually shaped like a fishhook not an eleven, and my eye contour for crows feet. Haven't noticed any improvent (1 week)

- Retinol in Squalane 0.2% - I've only used this twice so of course no affect since it usually takes 3-6 months to show anything, but first time I put on too much (4 drops) and it was so thick and oily. Two days later I put on only 2 drops and it was less greasy feeling. 

I was trying Olay Retinol 24 Eye Cream, from Dec to Feb, but threw it out because I wasn't gettting any improvements and it made my undereyes crepey. Went back to using just Olay Ultimate Eye Cream with the above. And then I use Olay 7-in-1 Total Effects Moisturizer, but now it's feeling a bit much since using the SubQ so I'm just using it on my dry spots like cheeks and around the mouth. And then for cleanser I use Simple Foaming Cleanser which is nothing special but gentle enough.

Hit me with your faves!

• RavenX likes this

Challenges:

Fantasy Challenge (Jan 4 - Feb 28 2021)

Tutifruitibooti's Weight Loss Accountability #2

tumblr_mg295gDqJE1s2n5k4o1_500.gif

145 ---  130 --- 125 124 123 122 121 120 119 118 117 116 115

#2 blood.like.mercury

blood.like.mercury

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 March 2021 - 08:19 AM

Skin fix glycolic/ lactic acid body polish. Use on my body and my face. It’s the answer.

The Ordinary granactive retinol. I haven’t had a blemish since I started using it and my skin quality way improved.

I love talking products haha.
  • tutifruitibooti and NLP like this

#3 Oyster.kisses

Oyster.kisses

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationUSA 🇺🇸

Posted 01 April 2021 - 11:01 AM

I use the ordinary , and meaningful beauty products
Discord- Doublezero00#7396
Insta - @amberjeannice

#4 gossamer_wings

gossamer_wings

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 05:06 PM

I started back on a retinol cream at night and my skin is going through that yucky adjustment phase

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#5 WaterGoddess

WaterGoddess

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:16 PM

Mario Badescu papaya cleanser for face and body

Any sheet mask by naturby (at least once a week, up to daily!)

Mario Badescu ceremide eye cream

Lancôme genifique serum

El Dorado vitC serum by holy snails (oil based).
Kush Queen cbd primer because it’s surprisingly hydrating

Hempz sunblock.

CBDs make my skin really happy. 
I think I’m gonna switch out the Lancôme for the Holy Snails First Snow Essence.
But I’d love suggestions for a good daily serum. 
love me some skincare. 
Despite the sun, I plan to get microneedled later this spring. No phps though.

SW: 170
UGW: 120
Every 5lbs is a goal reached.

weight.png

#6 JbLynn

JbLynn

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 06 April 2021 - 05:38 AM

Love The Ordinary! So affordable but also has meant that I have definitely overdone it on the skincare during the last year. Oops!

The Ordinary products I love:

- salicylic acid masque - it really brightens my skin and helps calm down breakouts.

- 10% niacinimde - it has definitely become my holy grail product. I've been using this one since last October and it helped control my acne quite a lot.

Products I'm not sure about:

- .5% retinol in squalane: I've been using this one for about 2 months now. Before this I was using the Inky List's retinol. My skin seems to be purging at the moment but I'm not sure if it's TO's retinol (it never purged with The Inky List but that wasn't as strong) or Cerave vitamin C serum that I started using about a month ago so... My face literally broke out overnight with painful cystic acne about a week ago and hasn't left... it has calmed down at least but it's super frustrating!  I've been looking to switch to a different retinol because I don't love that this product expires after 3 months of opening. I have one more month on that timeline and I am only about a third of a way through the bottle. It just seems wasteful to me. I've been looking to switch to either Cerave or Mad Hippie's Vitamin A serum. From what I have read, the retinol in Mad Hippie one seems to be better than most products available OTC in Canada.

- 10% lactic acid - I've been using this once a week for about a month now. The first time I used it my skin seemed a lot brighter the next day. Now I am not so sure anymore... I will keep at it though!

I've also been using Vichy's Mineral 89 for about 5 or 6 months and I absolutely love it. I notice a difference within a day if I skip it. It's a bit pricey compared to The Ordinary but so worth it!

I'm still looking for a good moisturizer that won't trigger my rosacea and an spf that doesn't pill!

• NLP likes this

#7 NLP

NLP

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2488 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 07:01 AM

The Ordinary retinol serum

I'm using .1% atm - I've built up to every other night.

Started using last Sept and in the last month or so my skin looks much better

I'm still looking for an spf that doesn't pill!

I go for Kids SPFs in 30 or 50.  They seem to be lighter,,,, that pilling thing is horrible

• JbLynn likes this

Functioning dysfunctionally

#8 WaterGoddess

WaterGoddess

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:27 PM

If your spf is pilling, maybe try tapping it onto your skin instead of rubbing it in? Or maybe a spray sunscreen if you don’t mind hormone based formulas.

• JbLynn and NLP like this

SW: 170
UGW: 120
Every 5lbs is a goal reached.

weight.png

#9 Hamsandwich

Hamsandwich

The Archivist (MPA’s official mermaid)

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19963 posts
  • LocationUnder the sea

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:15 PM

following. 

I still haven't figure out a real skin care routine

​I swear its not by choice

But ana has this voice

It calms me down

It gives me purpose

Rage Torture Blog

giphy.gif

#10 blood.like.mercury

blood.like.mercury

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:35 PM

I just picked up:
7% Glycolic acid toner
10% Lactic acid serum
Retinal (not sure on %)

Amazing for exfoliation if you have oily skin!

Now, anybody have some advice on forehead wrinkles??

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aging, mature skin, anti-aging, skincare

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users