Struggling Big Time - Pregnancy - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Struggling Big Time

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 elleobells143

elleobells143

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 March 2021 - 09:56 PM

Hey,

I’m new to this forum... I found out about a month ago that I am pregnant. I’m currently 8 weeks along as of yesterday. I have my second ultrasound tomorrow since I am considered high risk because of low progesterone.

I was all happy when I first found out, but as I am beginning to bloat and feel the weight gain occurring I am FREAKING OUT. I have already gained 10 lbs if I had to guess - I removed my scale to try and deter myself, but obviously they weigh you at each appointment so that’s a huge source of stress also.

How did you guys do this?! I just keep telling myself I’m doing it for the baby, but I would be lying if I feel that I’d currently pick my ED over this baby - even tho I know that’s not really what I want deep down. Why can’t I just be normal and be excited like my bf is 😢

***<< Elle >>***

#2 bewellzebub

bewellzebub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 02:27 PM

What’s helped me a lot is just remembering that I can go back to losing weight once I’ve had the baby. I’m sorry you’re also going through this! I also got freaked out in my first trimester, and now at 25 weeks I still have days where I’m very fixated on my body. I thought having an obvious baby bump would be bad for my body image, but honestly now that I actually look pregnant, it got a little easier. I’ve had to reframe my thoughts about food - stuff like “I would never starve my baby after the birth, so I can’t do it before the birth either,” “my body isn’t just mine right now so I need to take care of it,” etc. Also, if possible and if you’re not already, speak with a therapist. That was my OB’s recommendation when I told her I had an eating disorder (among other mental health issues), and I’m really glad I did it. Good luck with everything, try not to freak out too much (easier said than done of course), and congratulations!
  • cornflakegirl1224 and elleobells143 like this

#3 elleobells143

elleobells143

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 March 2021 - 06:21 PM

Thank you! Im very high right right now due to progesterone levels anyways so that’s also stressful. I do think that once the baby bump comes, if it comes, that’ll give me some sort of peace of mind as well. Thank you for your response! I am already talking to a therapist which has been helpful and I do know that at the end of all this I can go back to my ED. Which sadly gives me comfort

***<< Elle >>***

#4 bewellzebub

bewellzebub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 March 2021 - 07:25 AM

Thank you! Im very high right right now due to progesterone levels anyways so that’s also stressful. I do think that once the baby bump comes, if it comes, that’ll give me some sort of peace of mind as well. Thank you for your response! I am already talking to a therapist which has been helpful and I do know that at the end of all this I can go back to my ED. Which sadly gives me comfort

That does sound stressful. I was considered high risk for a few weeks at the beginning - the only advice I have there is listen to your doctor, which I know you’re already doing! I also definitely relate to the last thing you said. My therapist asked me how I was feeling about keeping up these healthier eating habits after I have the baby, and I honestly got so scared by the idea. It really is - sadly, as you said - comforting to know I can just go back.

You can message me if you ever want to. Someone I know was about as many weeks ahead of me as I am ahead of you, and talking to her occasionally about just being pregnant and my body changing and stuff has been helpful to me. Either way I’m wishing you and yours all the best =]

#5 cornflakegirl1224

cornflakegirl1224

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:43 PM

Hey how are you doing now? I think we might be quite close to each other in terms of weeks (currently 14 weeks). Has it gotten any easier for you? i was at the healthiest/highest weight i've ever been before I got pregnant but now it seems like I can't stop losing. I find it's quite difficult as I'm having online midwife appointments unless it's an ultrasound. I feel like I need some more accountability.

• elleobells143 likes this

H BMI: 21.2

L BMI: 12.9

C BMI:18.5

Bouncing between a/n and b/n. Argh, get out of my head!

#6 HollyGoLightley

HollyGoLightley

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 04:50 AM

Hey,

I’m new to this forum... I found out about a month ago that I am pregnant. I’m currently 8 weeks along as of yesterday. I have my second ultrasound tomorrow since I am considered high risk because of low progesterone.

I was all happy when I first found out, but as I am beginning to bloat and feel the weight gain occurring I am FREAKING OUT. I have already gained 10 lbs if I had to guess - I removed my scale to try and deter myself, but obviously they weigh you at each appointment so that’s a huge source of stress also.

How did you guys do this?! I just keep telling myself I’m doing it for the baby, but I would be lying if I feel that I’d currently pick my ED over this baby - even tho I know that’s not really what I want deep down. Why can’t I just be normal and be excited like my bf is 😢

Hey this is kind of unrelated but you can ask your doctor for progesterone supplements to take for pregnancy support. I lost my first baby (likely due to low progesterone) and I’m currently pregnant but I found a new doctor for my second pregnancy who put me on progesterone supplements right away

#7 MrsN

MrsN

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 April 2021 - 10:03 AM

I'm sorry you're struggling and I wish I could give advice on how to make it easier. I was underweight when I got pregnant and found it incredibly difficult at the beginning. I was reluctant to give up my restrictive habits but have done so and baby has grown well. I found keeping topped up with a little and often easier than facing bigger portions. I'm currently 8 days past my due date and very much looking forward to not being pregnant now! I'm not going to lie, I'm looking forward to being able to restrict again without guilt and shed this baby weight. Knowing that this gain was only ever going to be temporary has made it more bearable. X
  • elleobells143 likes this

height: 5.6ft    highest weight:9st/126lbs   lowest weight:5st 12/ 82lbs   current weight: 7.7st/105lbs     goal weight: 7st/98lbs 

#8 elleobells143

elleobells143

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:33 PM

Hey how are you doing now? I think we might be quite close to each other in terms of weeks (currently 14 weeks). Has it gotten any easier for you? i was at the healthiest/highest weight i've ever been before I got pregnant but now it seems like I can't stop losing. I find it's quite difficult as I'm having online midwife appointments unless it's an ultrasound. I feel like I need some more accountability.

Hey... sorry for the late response! I’m ok I guess. Having trouble gaining weight but not really losing. I’m 16 weeks tomorrow. Feel free to PM me!

***<< Elle >>***

#9 elleobells143

elleobells143

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 May 2021 - 05:35 PM

I'm sorry you're struggling and I wish I could give advice on how to make it easier. I was underweight when I got pregnant and found it incredibly difficult at the beginning. I was reluctant to give up my restrictive habits but have done so and baby has grown well. I found keeping topped up with a little and often easier than facing bigger portions. I'm currently 8 days past my due date and very much looking forward to not being pregnant now! I'm not going to lie, I'm looking forward to being able to restrict again without guilt and shed this baby weight. Knowing that this gain was only ever going to be temporary has made it more bearable. X

That’s pretty much how I feel right now. Getting through this and then I’ll just be able to restrict again. Totally get itttt.

***<< Elle >>***

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users