Are protein bars safe? - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Are protein bars safe?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 enya99

enya99

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:44 PM

I'm just curious how everyone else feels about protein powder and protein bars! Do you have any brands that are safe? 

• activecheesecake and rosesforana like this

Height 5'4
HW: 161.2 (January 2021)
LW: 125.8 (April 2019)
CW: 151
GW: 112

eat your protein my dudes /s

#2 rosesforana

rosesforana

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Locationyeehaw land

Posted 22 March 2021 - 08:54 PM

i love quest hero bars (so yum and crunchy and only 180cals) and think! bars !! the think bars are really good 150cals each and not overdoing it with the protien either, 10g per bar. i have an irrational fear that consuming excess protein will make me gain weight so i try to stay below 50g a day.
  • momoo likes this

:wub: :wub: :wub:

5’6”

cw: 98.2 lbs

lw: 86 lbs

gw1:95 lbs

gw2: 90 lbs

ugw:???

i <3 spencer reid

#3 πŸ–•admin&VS_movetoEDC

πŸ–•admin&VS_movetoEDC

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2020 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 09:53 PM

p much as long as theyre sugar free theyre safe by my standards but i very easily binge on them sooo
protein powder is safe imo, i'm just careful to look at whether it's been tested by a third-party company like labdoor for dangerous metals (especially vegan ones)

• yndi, winterberry and sparkling_orange like this

fuck admin. fuck vertical scope. moved to EDC.

#4 minecraft

minecraft

Octane

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:39 PM

yeah! theyre usually pretty good in macros, and they dont feel unhealthy. i recomment protein one bars. on amazon theyre pretty cheap. can get too sweet depending on flavor, though.

d7n4who-ff99c222-32be-4e00-9067-5b26e7b1

ACCOUNTABILITY

CBMI: 22.5

#5 Here_to_stay

Here_to_stay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 06:09 PM

Many protein bars are full of added sugar and offer few nutrients, but they are really convenient and can serve as an easy meal when necessary. Similarly, protein powder quality and nutritional values varies greatly by brand. If you have trouble meeting protein requirements or need to consume something quickly, it can be a good option. My favorite protein powder is the Garden of Life Raw Organic Meal. It is designed to be a meal replacement so it has tons of vitamins. Additionally, it tastes delicious. I add matcha and greens powder to mine for extra nutrients/taste.

#6 agokachan

agokachan

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 02:23 AM

Yes I’d say so for me. Low sugar ones at least. When I crave candy or sweets I can eat a protein bar and it’s fortified with vitamins and protein and I feel like I got to eat a candy bar.
  • Loquat likes this

#7 Lentilsandbeans

Lentilsandbeans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 09:36 AM

Protein bars aren't for me. When I look at most of their nutritional labels they look like a candy bar with some extra protein added. If I really really need something in a bar form I'll choose the cashew Larabars (just 3 ingredients!).

I'm OK with protein powder. I once tried unflavored whey isolate, but no matter what I added I couldn't make it appetizing. I've bit the bullet and use ON nutrition gold rich chocolate. There are a few additives, But it's mostly whey and it tastes good.
  • m4neater, Loquat and knum like this

#8 LittleLexi

LittleLexi

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2594 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 25 March 2021 - 11:09 AM

I only use unsweetened protein powders occasionally. Most protein bars have too many ingredients for me

~Laura Lexi~

Height: 5'9.5" (176 cm)

HW: 130lbs (BMI 19.1)

LW: 82lbs

CW: 82lbs (BMI 12.1)

#9 GloriousThorn

GloriousThorn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3795 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:43 PM

When I restrict I use both, but mostly powders. I have a vegan one that I use and is safe. It's only 90 calories for 1 scoop and I love the taste. When I get really entrenched in restricting, I use protein bars because I know exactly how many calories are in there, as opposed to food I make myself and I hardly eat anything prepackaged.
"I couldn't utter my love when it counted
ah but I'm singing like a bird about it now"

5'1 and a half
HW: 165
CW: 118 (4/26/21)
LW: 103
GW: 120 β˜†
Gw2: 115
Gw3: 110
Ugw: 105 (bmi 19.5)

#10 wildflowersforever

wildflowersforever

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:12 PM

I always feel weird taking protein powder but I do rely on it often (maybe 1-2x a day) to get my protein intake up.

I used to be obsessed with protein bars but would only allow myself to eat one like once a week. Then somehow I started binging on them. So I haven't purchased them in like a year. They're fucking expensive and not worth it.

• GloriousThorn likes this

#11 green.tea.aquarius

green.tea.aquarius

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 11:03 AM

my fav brand of protein bars is called "Perfect Snacks." the ingredients in the bars are all v clean and natural, and they're non-gmo and organic.

green.tea.aquarius on edc

5'7" || cw: 128.8 lb (april 17, 2021) || gw: 118.0 lb

#12 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationGotham

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:13 PM

In my very humble opinion, I think it is better to eat whole foods-based meals instead of protein bars. I don't think our bodies absorb the protein the same way they do when we eat high quality animal sourced protein like organic chicken and free range eggs and grass-fed beef. When I used to work, I would opt for a GoMacro! Bar and a fruit, because I didn't have time to enjoy a quality meal in the alotted time for breaks. I guess I am trying to say that I don't think protein bars are very good quality sources of fuel in comparison to whole foods.

• Haci likes this

tumblr_m7l8xkk92d1qadi39o3_500.gif

Height: 5'4"

CW: ??? (currently pregnant)

LW: 111 lbs (that was ages ago)
GW 1: 130 lbs

GW 2: 125 lbs

GW 3: 120 lbs
UGW: 95 lbs (haha who am I kidding, will I really want to stop here?)

#13 m4neater

m4neater

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:32 PM

honestly hate them.

they're glamorized candy bars in my opinion. they're all so small and have like 200 calories. doesn't fill me up and I hate wasting my calories on stuff like that.

• mochamars and moomoomelon like this

sbmyag.gif

#14 moomoomelon

moomoomelon

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 06:40 PM

i like lara bars and nature's bakery fig bars but they're kinda small for being ~200 cals each. i can have a bowl of oats with that :P but recently I bought a pack of Built Bars. they're abt 130 cals each and contain 17g of protein!! O:

πŸ…½πŸ…Ύ πŸ…΅πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΎπŸ…³ πŸ††πŸ…ΈπŸ…»πŸ…» πŸ…·πŸ…°πŸ†πŸ…Ό πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„
πŸ…ΌπŸ…ΎπŸ†πŸ…΄ πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ…°πŸ…½ πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„πŸ† πŸ…΄πŸ…³ πŸ††πŸ…ΈπŸ…»πŸ…»

gw: the happiest & healthiest
version of myself :>
cht: 5'1''  ght: 5'6'' 

#15 melancholyhill

melancholyhill

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 March 2021 - 09:49 PM

im trying to gain some muscle in my hips and ass so ive added a scoop of protein powder to my coffee in the morning and its like a flavored latte kinda. its a nice 150cal breakfast that gives me a little more protein to use toward muscle while still staying under 1k cals a day
Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

#16 ribb0ne

ribb0ne

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 03 April 2021 - 03:04 PM

im trying to gain some muscle in my hips and ass so ive added a scoop of protein powder to my coffee in the morning and its like a flavored latte kinda. its a nice 150cal breakfast that gives me a little more protein to use toward muscle while still staying under 1k cals a day

ma'am you can't gain muscle on that low of a caloric deficit 

• rivversflowing likes this

ꜱᴑ: 147; α΄„α΄‘: ??; Ι’α΄‘: 99

#17 rivversflowing

rivversflowing

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:20 PM

Protein bars aren't for me. When I look at most of their nutritional labels they look like a candy bar with some extra protein added. If I really really need something in a bar form I'll choose the cashew Larabars (just 3 ingredients!).

I'm OK with protein powder. I once tried unflavored whey isolate, but no matter what I added I couldn't make it appetizing. I've bit the bullet and use ON nutrition gold rich chocolate. There are a few additives, But it's mostly whey and it tastes good.

Then buy real protein bars instead of buying brands that market themselves as a "protein bar" without actually being one. 

hydrate h*e

#18 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5526 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:15 AM

Protein Powder yes, but only low carb ones.
I'm not a fan of protein bars.
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

Height: 5 foot 7 / 171cms,
Highest Weight: 180 pounds / 82 kgs, (BMI 28.0)
Lowest Weight: 85 pounds / 39 kgs, (BMI 13.3)

ULTIMATE GOAL WEIGHT (again): 85 pounds / 39 kgs OR LOWER!!!

#19 Ghostcrabxx

Ghostcrabxx

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 01:19 AM

Their safe as long as their sugar content isn’t too high.

• not_my_body likes this

#20 itsybitsyme

itsybitsyme

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3198 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 03:20 AM

I cannot for the life of me justify a 200+ calorie bar. Like I might as well eat candy you know? I could have a whole tub of Halo top for one measly protein bar. It doesn't seem worth it, what do people gain from it? (besides protein obvs lol)

• mochamars likes this

5'7

Hw: 150

Lw: 115

Cw: 120

Gw: 110

Ugw: 90

tumblr_ppg5b6bRlQ1x4ydeto2_r1_540.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users