Re: orthorexic binges? - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Re: orthorexic binges?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Poison Pixie 666

Poison Pixie 666

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1971 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:45 AM

Hey guys! I'm not personally orthorexic (I like chocolate too much!) but have a question for you guys....

If/when you binge, do u purely stick to healthy/safe foods or do you occasionally binge on junk food.

I hope this isn't an insensitive question, just always been curious?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

5ft 2in
LW: 75lb (December 2020)
CW: Urgh!
UGW: 84lb

#2 coldthin

coldthin

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3083 posts
  • LocationThe secret Tenth Circle of Hell ( Walmart )

Posted 23 March 2021 - 09:50 AM

Since a binge is at least partly defined by an experienced loss of control  or willpower,  it seems natural that it would come with whatever fear foods and unhealthy junks. Though there are probably many orthorexics who do not binge,  I think the ones that do probably binge on junk just like anorexics binge on things that are normally fear foods.

(As for me, I'm not diagnosed orthorexic but as of the last few years have had many more orthorexic than anorexic tendencies.  I binge and when I do it's all unhealthy junk that I normally fear and avoid.)

• Poison Pixie 666, glyxblood and 𝓐𝓷π“ͺ𝓼𝓽π“ͺ𝓼𝓲π“ͺ like this

gallery_603345_69913_311266.gif

they / them  or  he / him

I think I'm pretty smart but then again I'm also an absolute fool so you'll never know which version you get to see

my thread  ^u^

Spoiler

stats under spoiler

gallery_603345_69913_2247.png

#3 Poison Pixie 666

Poison Pixie 666

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1971 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 23 March 2021 - 01:16 PM

Since a binge is at least partly defined by an experienced loss of control or willpower, it seems natural that it would come with whatever fear foods and unhealthy junks. Though there are probably many orthorexics who do not binge, I think the ones that do probably binge on junk just like anorexics binge on things that are normally fear foods.
(As for me, I'm not diagnosed orthorexic but as of the last few years have had many more orthorexic than anorexic tendencies. I binge and when I do it's all unhealthy junk that I normally fear and avoid.)

Ahhhhh! Thanks for the reply. I did wonder whether the loss of control meant that orthorexics might still reach for junk food!

• coldthin likes this

5ft 2in

#4 ReginaPhalange

ReginaPhalange

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 02:26 PM

I'm not diagnosed but I definitely have orthorexic tendencies and I actually tend to binge on foods I consider "healthy". That's probably due to the fact that I only have healthy foods at home, and when I binge I eat whatever's available.
To be honest, during my binges there always comes a moment when I find myself elbow deep in a can of chickpeas or smth similar and you have no idea how ridiculous I feel in those moments lol.

Inviato dal mio SM-A405FN utilizzando Tapatalk
  • Poison Pixie 666, much shiny very happy, YoureSoVain and 4 others like this

#5 Banditboii

Banditboii

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationGB

Posted 23 March 2021 - 10:31 PM

I used to chow down on a tin of mushy peas. The e numbers always made me feel guilty
  • Poison Pixie 666 and Lessienxchan like this

#6 veiled

veiled

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:49 PM

Well I just "binged" or what I would call a binge for me. It consisted of eating more calories than I would have liked.

I used to be a junk food addict, but then my dad got stage 4 cancer, and seeing him go through chemo really made me reconsider my unhealthy habits. Also there's a lot of talk in my house about how sugar causes cancer, because my dad is trying anything at this point to live, including some holistic/alternative treatments like cutting out different foods, etc. That got me down the "what's bad for my health?" rabbit hole and here I am avoiding processed foods and sugar.

So for my binge today I ate too many peanuts, too much avocado, and I had a huge dinner of lots of veggies with Greek yogurt dip and hummus and avocado. For dessert I had two bananas with peanut butter.

I don't feel too bad because I didn't eat any processed foods or added sugar, but I still don't like days like today :(

• IamSoy and GloriousThorn like this

#7 LifeEternal

LifeEternal

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 08:58 PM

• Poison Pixie 666 likes this

#8 VeggieHealth

VeggieHealth

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1371 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 10:34 PM

Celery.

• Poison Pixie 666 and Aurexie like this

____

EKfIpnM.gif

#9 moomoomelon

moomoomelon

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 26 March 2021 - 10:46 PM

i've binged on cabbage, potatoes, beans, oatmeal, coconut, dark chocolate, smoothies, salad, and nuts before  :( stuff like that. I do hate binging on healthy food tho bc it feels like a waste. I like to savor my favorite healthy foods.

• Poison Pixie 666, πŸ–•admin&VS_movetoEDC and knum like this
πŸ…½πŸ…Ύ πŸ…΅πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΎπŸ…³ πŸ††πŸ…ΈπŸ…»πŸ…» πŸ…·πŸ…°πŸ†πŸ…Ό πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„
πŸ…ΌπŸ…ΎπŸ†πŸ…΄ πŸ†ƒπŸ…·πŸ…°πŸ…½ πŸ†ˆπŸ…ΎπŸ†„πŸ† πŸ…΄πŸ…³ πŸ††πŸ…ΈπŸ…»πŸ…»

gw: the happiest & healthiest
version of myself :>
cht: 5'1''  ght: 5'6'' 

#10 Poison Pixie 666

Poison Pixie 666

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1971 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 27 March 2021 - 01:20 PM

Well I just "binged" or what I would call a binge for me. It consisted of eating more calories than I would have liked.

I used to be a junk food addict, but then my dad got stage 4 cancer, and seeing him go through chemo really made me reconsider my unhealthy habits. Also there's a lot of talk in my house about how sugar causes cancer, because my dad is trying anything at this point to live, including some holistic/alternative treatments like cutting out different foods, etc. That got me down the "what's bad for my health?" rabbit hole and here I am avoiding processed foods and sugar.

So for my binge today I ate too many peanuts, too much avocado, and I had a huge dinner of lots of veggies with Greek yogurt dip and hummus and avocado. For dessert I had two bananas with peanut butter.

I don't feel too bad because I didn't eat any processed foods or added sugar, but I still don't like days like today :(

Jfc! I'm so sorry about your dad. That must be very difficult, stressful and painful. I can understand why this experience made u alter your eating habits. I know binges are stressful but it was all very healthy food and I'm sure u won't have gained any weight, tho I respect the fact that it's emotionally distressing to binge. I hope ur feeling better today

• veiled likes this

5ft 2in

#11 knum

knum

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 04:23 PM

i've binged on cabbage, potatoes, beans, oatmeal, coconut, dark chocolate, smoothies, salad, and nuts before  :( stuff like that. I do hate binging on healthy food tho bc it feels like a waste. I like to savor my favorite healthy foods.

I have such a similar history except only high carb, low fat, low protein. I would mostly do it on fruit (literally like a whole bunch of bananas or whatever in-season fruit that was about to go bad). This was during the cross country and track season, so the "binges" which were only around 500-1500 of fruit or grains allowed me to really carb load and pound through runs, though I usually would never intend to do it although it was obviously helping me at the time when I was limiting calories while being a lean runner, which should never restrict. 

#12 veiled

veiled

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:09 PM

Jfc! I'm so sorry about your dad. That must be very difficult, stressful and painful. I can understand why this experience made u alter your eating habits. I know binges are stressful but it was all very healthy food and I'm sure u won't have gained any weight, tho I respect the fact that it's emotionally distressing to binge. I hope ur feeling better today

Thank you for the kind message!! You're right, I only gained 0.2lbs on the scale which is mostly water/food anyway, and I went on a run this morning to use the energy for something good. I hope you're having a nice day!!

#13 Poison Pixie 666

Poison Pixie 666

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1971 posts
  • LocationKent

Posted 27 March 2021 - 08:36 PM

Thank you for the kind message!! You're right, I only gained 0.2lbs on the scale which is mostly water/food anyway, and I went on a run this morning to use the energy for something good. I hope you're having a nice day!!

Ah see I'm old and wise! I guarantee that 0.2 is just food weight! Aw thanks sweetie. I hope u had a nice run :)

5ft 2in

#14 wildflowersforever

wildflowersforever

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 09:08 PM

I tend to binge on healthy foods (i.e., sushi, oatmeal, nut butters, etc.), but if I'm hella fucked up (like tonight) I'll go buy ice cream, chocolate, anything sweet.

• lunacookie likes this

#15 Mitsy

Mitsy

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:43 AM

I had an eating disorder for 10 years, with orthorexia being the common thread the whole time, with a whole lot of AN and the past few years BN. The first couple years i had no binging. After that i began binging on healthy things like vegetables, greens, fruits and nuts. the past few years ive binged on junk food.

5'3"

cw 109

hw 155

lw 75

sw117

gw 105

ugw maintain above 100 below 115

F*** you ED!

#16 Justmyself

Justmyself

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationHelsinki,Finland

Posted 31 March 2021 - 02:06 PM

I actually only binge on healthy safe foods... especially healthy fats like avocados last time

HW: 60KG. - LW: 48KG. - CW:52KG.

166cm.
GW:50kg.
UGW: 49kg.<p>In recovery

#17 Why So Serious?

Why So Serious?

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationGotham

Posted 31 March 2021 - 05:59 PM

Interesting question!

For someone who has been all around the spectrum with my relationship with food (compulsive overeating tendencies, highly restrictive tendencies, binge eating tendencies, and orthorexic tendencies) I can say that right now, I am more intuitive with food and listening to my body. I still obsess about food quality, but I don't struggle with bingeing and overeating like I used to (God, that time of my life was horrendous- I felt like I was living in hell everyday and I never thought I would make it out). I eat more balanced meals now and I intermittent fast.

tumblr_m7l8xkk92d1qadi39o3_500.gif

Height: 5'4"

CW: ??? (currently pregnant)

LW: 111 lbs (that was ages ago)
GW 1: 130 lbs

GW 2: 125 lbs

GW 3: 120 lbs
UGW: 95 lbs (haha who am I kidding, will I really want to stop here?)

#18 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5314 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 04 April 2021 - 12:20 AM

I'm diagnosed anorexia but on the rare times I binge, it's never junk food. It's always healthy.
It kinda seems odd now but it also doesn't. It's confusing.
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

Height: 5 foot 7 / 171cms,
Highest Weight: 180 pounds / 82 kgs, (BMI 28.0)
Lowest Weight: 85 pounds / 39 kgs, (BMI 13.3)

ULTIMATE GOAL WEIGHT (again): 85 pounds / 39 kgs OR LOWER!!!

#19 NoFlyBy

NoFlyBy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5255 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 April 2021 - 10:29 PM

not sure if I 100% count as ortho, but yes, when I'm in a more ortho type of phase (5-7 safe foods, all whole foods, won't do anything else), I'll definitely binge on that stuff. It feels silly as hell honestly. And binging on broccoli, sweet potatoes, fruit, etc is quite a fiber overload.. which is fun.

• Fariel likes this
AYO I'm not ignoring y'all in PMs, it just won't work rn, I'll be back asap lol

^ idk wtf is going on with that but whatever lol ^

New Accountability - AKA I was supposed to be getting better but everything just got Worse

mWenfkV.gif

~

B8FWmJZ.gif

Doesn't matter where I've been. Only where I am, and where I'm going. Losing until I like how I look and feel satisfied.

Car enthusiast
Obsessed with walking
An island, sometimes paradise, sometimes deserted
My cat and my car are the only entities I'll ever truly trust and rely upon lol

Spoiler

πŸŒΌ HW 156.6 🌼 LW 107.4 🌼 CW idk fucking fat lol 119 I fucking guess?🌼

🌼GW 106 🌼 UGW 97 🌼

🌼 UGBMI 15.4 🌼

🌼5'6.5🌼

🌼

what a shame, until my LW is always my CW

nU14Dpl.png

#20 grandma kai

grandma kai

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Locationkurt cobain's basement

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:30 AM

most of the time i do binge on my safe foods but i will admit there have been a handful of times i binged on unhealthy foods we had in the house. however the unhealthy foods i binged on were almost always sweets, rather than fast or processed food

orthorexia / arfid

13 f

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users