If (when) you binge, are you still vegan/vegetarian - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

If (when) you binge, are you still vegan/vegetarian

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 whathellis

whathellis

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationAllblue sea

Posted 24 March 2021 - 04:54 AM

I'm vegan but live with my family, and they have a lot of meat, milk and other food that I usually won't eat. But when I binge I eat all. And I feel so guilty not only bc I just binged, but bc I ate an egg or sausages or something alse.
So if you binge, do you do it only on vegan/vegetarian food?
  • misscarolina likes this

Height: 162cm
Weight lbs: 109 106 103 99 95 90 84 80

my accountability

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

#2 helium

helium

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 March 2021 - 05:08 AM

I haven't been binging in a very long time but yes, my binges have still been vegan as well. Maybe your body misses something it won't get from your usual diet and tries to compensate by making you binge on non vegan stuff? <3

• cozy., whathellis and toastyegg like this

tumblr_nscya1ZUB71u24r7ao1_540.gif

Height: 172 cm
SW: 58 kg (bmi 19,6)

CW: 51 kg (bmi 17)

GW1: 55 (bmi 18,4)

GW2: 53 kg (bmi 17,7)

GW3: 50 kg (bmi 16,7)

GW4: 47 kg (bmi 15,7)

UG5: 45 kg (bmi 15)

#3 TrveKvltThot

TrveKvltThot

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 06:03 AM

try not to blame yourself too much. just do your best. it can be really hard to control yourself during binges.

when i had just gone vegan i struggled with the same thing, I get you. nowadays, my binges are nearly all vegan, except for the rare accidental stuff (bread w milk powder. bread with egg wash. generally stuff that contains seemingly unnecesarry additives that arent vegan.) The guilt of consuming animal products makes it so much worse ):

Sendt fra min XQ-AD52 med Tapatalk
  • ashlynninheaven, MatchaVjj, whathellis and 1 other like this

#4 pineprincess

pineprincess

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:35 AM

I only eat vegan food, I would feel so bad if I didn't! The guilt would be even worse. We have a vegan household so not much temptation anyway lol..

But I think you should not be as hard on yourself ❤️❤️ It's strange we are so harsh on ourself but when others do it you see it in another perspective... You do as good as you can!
  • ashlynninheaven, MatchaVjj and whathellis like this

WE'RE ALL MAD HERE

Proud to be Vegan

Stats:

Spoiler

#5 Jacqueline_356

Jacqueline_356

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1963 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:42 AM

When I binge I try to restrain from eating meat but sometimes I will have it because my bf or family has chicken, ham or beef patties i the house. 

• whathellis likes this

Height: 5'9"

HW: 170

CW: 125

GW: 120

LW: 115

#6 KittenPurrincess

KittenPurrincess

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4997 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted 24 March 2021 - 09:55 AM

Vegan for life. There have been times where I contemplated having vegetarian stuff during a binge, like milk chocolate and caramel and shit like that. Maybe once I didnt know if something has vegan and I ate it anyway but then clocked, felt bad for about half a hot second, then moved on with my life. It's not a big deal but I never keep non vegan stuff in the house now that I live with just my bf and not in a house share like we used to.

♡I'm Legendary, all Legs, no Dairy, and this is My Diary♡

• whathellis likes this

#7 freelia

freelia

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 08:51 PM

i've been vegan for almost two months now and yeah the occasional non vegan binges were happening up until about two weeks ago. i never ever have meat though. however, i've finally stopped bc a) eating dairy literally makes my stomach feel like it's going to explode now that i'm used to not eating it on a daily basis and b ) the binge guilt is 100 times worse when there's also vegan guilt and it was just awful for my mental health. 

when looking for advice on how to stop, i encountered a few things like "try to involve yourself in more vegan communities online" and "remind yourself of your values and why you are vegan." it's been really helpful for me, so maybe you could try it as well :)

try not to feel too bad, this is a mental illness and it can make us do terrible things. bingeing on non-vegan stuff is probably one of the most tame fuck ups i've ever had bc of my ed.

• misscarolina, ashlynninheaven and whathellis like this

hw: 155lbs

cw: 118lbs

gw: 105lbs

#8 HypocrisyOfTheHeart

HypocrisyOfTheHeart

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 March 2021 - 12:15 PM

After watching ‘Earthlings’ a switch went off in my brain and I no longer looked at animal products as food. That was 9 years ago and there have been maaaaany binges but always vegan. My therapist used to think my veganism was part of my eating disorder but when I said I don’t even eat animals when I binged she started to come around to the idea that it’s purely ethical not a way to restrict. In the UK you can now get anything vegan so I can still have my food fantasies met in a vegan way. I don’t find being around animal products tempting in any way – I find them too gross and cruel.

If you’re struggling, I suggest you do more research into animal rights issues and really getting your head around vegan nutrition so that you give more strength to your views. Education is key in creating a strong value.

• LisaVeganMJ, atomickitty, whathellis and 1 other like this

5'11"

220 215 210 205 200 195 190

185 180 175 170 165

160 155 150 145

140 135

#9 misscarolina

misscarolina

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1790 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 27 March 2021 - 04:49 PM

I know everyone's telling you not to feel guilty and while I agree I also want to add that you're definitely not alone in this.

I've been vegan for 4 years now, vegetarian 2 years before that, and yes non-vegan binges definitely happened within the first ~2 years of switching. This was actually the primary reason I finally sought therapy for binge eating and it was only through that that I was able to stop. I also very much agree with what someone else said; look in to your local vegan communities and join them. It really helps to have a regular reminder why you're doing this.

Also, know the best vegan binge food out there just in case. The potato chip options are 10/10.

• whathellis likes this

#10 Cymmetry

Cymmetry

Faceache

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15172 posts

Posted 30 March 2021 - 06:40 PM

i'm a pretty strict vegetarian but only because after being vegetarian for only 2 years now if i eat even 1 bite of meat i will have the most horrific diarrhea the next day like i have to call off work and wear a diaper lol. i think if i binged on meat i would have to go to the hospital.

• whathellis likes this

bta85nc.jpg

#11 GloriousThorn

GloriousThorn

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4103 posts
  • LocationWest Coast

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:33 PM

Almost always. I've been vegan a little over 10 months. There have been 2 binges where I've included processed food that contains milk. Other than that, I've binged on vegan foods only.
"I couldn't utter my love when it counted
ah but I'm singing like a bird about it now"

5'1 and a half
HW: 165
CW: 124 (9/14/21)
LW: 103
GW1: 120
Gw2: 115
Gw3: 110

#12 xl7

xl7

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 6410 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 12:52 PM

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 Beatlemaniac

Beatlemaniac

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 18 April 2021 - 07:28 PM

I'm vegan but live with my family, and they have a lot of meat, milk and other food that I usually won't eat. But when I binge I eat all. And I feel so guilty not only bc I just binged, but bc I ate an egg or sausages or something alse.
So if you binge, do you do it only on vegan/vegetarian food?

still vegan food. My love for animals overrides all else

• atomickitty likes this

Height: 5 ft 2 in

HW: 155

LW: 93.6

CW: 113.8

GW1: 130

GW2: 125

UGW: Just let me have a thigh gap already!

tumblr_lulvz0rVac1qczzlio1_500.jpg

If I can't be as beautiful as Pattie at least let me be as skinny as her

I'll never be a Grammy winner

I'll never be an Oscar winner

I'll never be a Tony winner

I'll never make an album

I'll never start a charity

I'll never be a mother

I'll never be a wife

I'll never be rich

I'll never be famous

I'll never have a future

But I CAN be the skinniest

#14 lovethatgirly

lovethatgirly

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Locationnew york, usa

Posted 19 April 2021 - 12:27 AM

this is actually a great question. I’ve been a vegetarian for 5 months, not to lose weight but for personal/other reasons and when I binge it’s on vegetarian food.

#15 matchadolly

matchadolly

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17075 posts

Posted 19 August 2021 - 07:31 PM

yes

#16 nofunclub

nofunclub

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 22 August 2021 - 07:02 AM

yes, my binges are always vegan, I would never dream of eating anything that isn't, no matter how out of control I feel
  • weightlessfoodie and Belacqua like this

s t a t s

173cm/5'8"

sw: 176

cw: 123

lw: 108

g o a l s

gw1: 140

gw2: 126

gw3: 110

ugw: 100

#17 gilgi

gilgi

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2399 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 07:08 AM

yes

#18 wiltingr0se

wiltingr0se

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 August 2021 - 12:43 PM

i’m vegetarian and i’m still vegetarian when i binge but there have been a few occasions where i’ve been drunk and binged on meat feast pizza

#19 cryingboy01

cryingboy01

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 12 October 2021 - 12:15 AM

After watching ‘Earthlings’ a switch went off in my brain and I no longer looked at animal products as food. That was 9 years ago and there have been maaaaany binges but always vegan. My therapist used to think my veganism was part of my eating disorder but when I said I don’t even eat animals when I binged she started to come around to the idea that it’s purely ethical not a way to restrict. In the UK you can now get anything vegan so I can still have my food fantasies met in a vegan way. I don’t find being around animal products tempting in any way – I find them too gross and cruel.

If you’re struggling, I suggest you do more research into animal rights issues and really getting your head around vegan nutrition so that you give more strength to your views. Education is key in creating a strong value.

ah, Earthlings did the same for me. 'flipped a switch' is the perfect way to put it. 

• HypocrisyOfTheHeart likes this

#20 NotLeaveAFootprint

NotLeaveAFootprint

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 October 2021 - 05:38 PM

Yes. I don't binge any more but when I did it was always on vegan food.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users