Just finished Wintergirls - book club me? :) - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Just finished Wintergirls - book club me? :)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sambali

sambali

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2021 - 11:06 AM

I've just finished Wintergirls! From what I can tell, it's a bit of a forum favourite!

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it if anyone wants to join me in some book chat! 

I thought it was beautifully written - I loved the prose style and the imagery. It was also chilling in its unflinching presentation of Lia's disordered thoughts. Being immersed in her head-space for that long was a wild ride!

I was also super relived that Elijah didn't turn out to be some kind of white-knight saviour in the end - I thought that was where it was going during the cafe scene and really resented the idea that all Lia needed was a guy to fix her! I thought it was an awesome choice by the author that in the end, she needed to be the one to save herself. 

What did you guys think?

• Sasha_Ascendant and misscarolina like this

Height: |167cm

HW: 67kg | BMI: 23
LW: 45kg | BMI: 16
CW: 50.0kg | BMI: 17.9

#2 ૮꒰ ˶• ༝ •˶꒱ა

૮꒰ ˶• ༝ •˶꒱ა

tiny fairy

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3077 posts
  • Location𝐁𝐔𝐍𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃

Posted 27 March 2021 - 11:12 AM

eh, i mean, it's a good book,  a lil cheesy, but good.

i'm just so sick of the "delicate white girl with an ed" trope, yknow?

like c'mon pls can we get some diversity? 

but otherwise, i agree w/ you completely! 

• sambali and bunnypaw like this

gifgit.gif

ෆ*₊˚꒰:: こんばんは! 

#3 inevitablestarvation

inevitablestarvation

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 27 March 2021 - 11:17 AM

Honestly I’d love to have a group chat about this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • sambali likes this

#4 sambali

sambali

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 March 2021 - 11:26 AM

eh, i mean, it's a good book,  a lil cheesy, but good.

i'm just so sick of the "delicate white girl with an ed" trope, yknow?

like c'mon pls can we get some diversity? 

but otherwise, i agree w/ you completely! 

Agreed! She's definitely an incredibly entitled character! She's from a wealthy, aspirational family, who'd obviously do anything to help her (especially her mum and Jessica), yet she's always so resentful towards them. I really don't understand what they're meant to have done wrong in her eyes?? I think it's probably to do with the fact that they don't enable her self-destructive tendencies but  . . .   still! 

I agree with your call for more diverse representation. It would be amazing to hear different perspectives on the ED experience. 

Height: |167cm

HW: 67kg | BMI: 23
LW: 45kg | BMI: 16
CW: 50.0kg | BMI: 17.9

#5 ૮꒰ ˶• ༝ •˶꒱ა

૮꒰ ˶• ༝ •˶꒱ა

tiny fairy

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3077 posts
  • Location𝐁𝐔𝐍𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃

Posted 27 March 2021 - 12:17 PM

Agreed! She's definitely an incredibly entitled character! She's from a wealthy, aspirational family, who'd obviously do anything to help her (especially her mum and Jessica), yet she's always so resentful towards them. I really don't understand what they're meant to have done wrong in her eyes?? I think it's probably to do with the fact that they don't enable her self-destructive tendencies but  . . .   still! 

I agree with your call for more diverse representation. It would be amazing to hear different perspectives on the ED experience. 

THANK U FOR BRINGING UP HER RESENTMENT OMG?? Her parents have SO much money and just want the best and she's so ungrateful??? Like, I understand wanting people to enable you and being frustrated with recovery or whatever, but. Y'know. She just came across as so spoiled :// Hopefully, ED writers start to be more diverse.

• misscarolina and sambali like this

gifgit.gif

ෆ*₊˚꒰:: こんばんは! 

#6 Sasha_Ascendant

Sasha_Ascendant

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1445 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 04:19 PM

I have been around ED and pro-ana sites since the old days and had never read any ED books whatsoever. Of course I knew about the existence of this book but that's about it.

That being said, I got this a few months back as part of my audio book subscription and finally started it. I really didn't have any hopes for it and was doubtful that I would even get very far into it. In terms of the target audience it's so far outside of my norm (my previous book for example was Tolkein's Silmarillion).

However, once I finally started it last week and finished it a couple days ago I can now say it was amazingly good. I absolutely loved it! It didn't change my views on eating disorders and even if I read it 10 years ago I can safely say it wouldn't have changed anything, however it was such a legitimately well-written novel that really keeps one engaged throughout to the very end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users