Is it dangerous if I fast after a surgery? - Illness or Injury - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Is it dangerous if I fast after a surgery?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 caolries

caolries

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationArgentina

Posted 02 April 2021 - 12:30 AM

I tried looking it up but I couldn't find anything. I had top surgery (breast removal) 9 days ago, the wounds are closed but it's still healing, my chest is bruised and swollen. Is it dangerous to fast? I don't care If it'll take longer to heal, I just want to know if it's somehow dangerous. :)

tumblr_inline_mlzpq6aZBj1qz4rgp.gifheight: 5'7" gw: 88 hw: 154 lw: 103 tumblr_inline_mlzpq6aZBj1qz4rgp.gif

<p>DX: BPD and purgative anorexia.

#2 abracadanope

abracadanope

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationThe Void of Solitude

Posted 02 April 2021 - 12:58 AM

First off, congrats on your top surgery!

Secondly, to answer your question, it has actually been shown that fasting can help healing. Lots of animals in nature fast when injured to heal faster. Studies have also been made on humans, you can read more here https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC7069085/

The thing you must do however is follow the instructions your surgeon gave you so for example no lifting heavy stuff, doing extreme sports, getting enough sleep, etc. which also works for fasting.

• caolries likes this

He/Him

Spoiler

#3 deleted0000

deleted0000

Advanced Guru

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 02 April 2021 - 01:30 AM

The idea that fasting helps recovery isn't widely supported and I've only seen one study with diabetic mice support it (user above posted it.) They also mention that fasting before getting a wound helps the most, not after. The last two things are that they only fasting twice in one week for 24 hours at a time, and refed afterwards. Anyways I'd say its not enough evidence to prove fasting does shit.

It's not *dangerous* to fast, I don't think, but you will be at risk of more complications which might mess up your results. Complications could, rarely, be deadly. I really don't recommend fasting, your body needs extra calories right now. 

• Oh Happy Day, caolries, chasingcalm and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users