to those living w their parents (ie. they foot the bill for groceries) - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

to those living w their parents (ie. they foot the bill for groceries)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 winter soldier

winter soldier

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:17 AM

so, i’m pondering veganism because it seems easier to eat low cal on that tho like my one big fear is the expense. anyone here where their parents pay for their groceries? what are your low cal, low price foods that you buy? (and preferably smtg that can keep for a bit vs like. lettuce which goes bad pretty quickly) (low price for US ppl idk abt other countries) ty🥺💖
  • vokowow likes this

all I have in life is this shitty food

Spoiler

#2 losing myself

losing myself

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3071 posts
  • Locationdown the rabbit hole

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:45 AM

I'm vegan, and I live on my own! Butttt money is hard, so I can't spend a lot on food. My gotos...
Carbs! - really cheap filling vegan food imo
*Pasta
*Rice
*Oats
*Bread (you can freeze it so it lasts longer)
*Potatoes
Proteins
*Tofu
*Canned or dry beans
*Peanut butter
*Lentils!!
*Frozen peas
Fats
*Peanut butter
*Soy/almond/coconut milk
Veg/fruit (all expensive tbh)
*Carrots
*Bananas
*Frozen fruit/veg

Sent from my ZTE A2020U Pro using Tapatalk
  • misscarolina and rotten_apple like this

dx: an-r, mdd, social phobia, ocd, and generalized anxiety disorder

~she/her~   ~filthy vegan liberal~  ~infj~    

my accountability thread    //  \\    my food & recipe dump // \\ feel like shit?

stats

Spoiler

random shit i like (ptw)

Spoiler

#3 xl7

xl7

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6288 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 12:50 PM

If you stick to buying mostly from the produce and limit the meat/dairy substitutes, you should be fine. You can cook a lot of meals from staples paired with common vegan spices/condiments (tahini, nutritional yeast) tofu over meat replacements and nutritional yeast over dairy free cheese

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 misscarolina

misscarolina

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 23 April 2021 - 02:22 PM

what other people said but also, if you don't care about health, Top Ramen Soy Sauce flavor is vegan and of course is like one of the cheapest foods out there. also beans and rice is the *classic* cheap vegan meal. also PB&J's. also baked russet potatoes. 

it sounds like you may not necessarily need to eat SUPER cheaply right now, but you're just trying to avoid spiking your parents' grocery bill big time, right? in that case, one strategy is to mix up the price of your meals. for example, it's fine to buy some pricier meat replacements for 2-3 of your weekly meals if you also plan to have a baked potato for a couple of meals. that way it all evens out to be moderately priced. i hope that made sense.

#5 princess peach

princess peach

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1395 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:25 PM

if u live in the US and have an Aldi's in your state, def go there for a lot of your stuff. the fruits and veggies are so much cheaper. i mean omg everything is sooooo much cheaper AND they sell meat and dairy alternatives for like half the price u would pay else where. they have a bunch of meat alternatives in the frozen section. my fave are the meatballs, the chicken tenders, and the breakfast sausage patties. they have a dairy free cheese but its not the best imo so i stopped buying it. they also have tofu, sometimes they have vegan dumplings as well. u rly gotta look around at aldis. but yea canned veggies, frozen veggies, fresh veggies n fruit, meat/cheese alternatives, almond milk/coconut milk, hummus, and even some dressings they have are vegan. i save so much from buying all that shit at aldis vs stop and shop or any other grocery store in my town.

152179h4qroi8q2b.gif                   

♥ height: 5'0

♥ sw:132

cw:114

♥ gw1:120

♥ gw2:115

♥ gw3:110

♥ gw4:105

♥ gw5:100

♥ gw6:95

♥ ugw:85

0 user(s) are reading this topic