i no longer believe monos work. - Mono diet - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

i no longer believe monos work.

mono work dont chocolate chocolate mono unhealthy mono

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NellWingedDevil

NellWingedDevil

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Location𝕽𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖉𝖊𝖓𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝖍𝖊𝖑𝖑

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:39 PM

so do hear me out , i thought monos was the magically stairway to my goals, my sweet gateway to looking sickly skinny like i wanted but no at first i tried a egg mono that had amazing results and i didn't pass 600 calories i started doing healthy monos and still maintaining a calorie deficit but then i picked up the amazing idea (being sarcastic here) that it might work if i tried it with like Chocolate?! (i love chocolate but never used to allow myself ) and at the beginning i convinced myself that it would be okay i wont get past 1000 calories so even if this mono sense didn't work i wouldn't gain fat ,etc i don't know how i got to eating thousands of calories of nuttela or milk chocolate (did it for a week n some drama was happening so it was comforting to know like i have my food in my room and not face this drama at house) i think as i have not gained a lot (went back to restricting ) i absolutely didn't lose and might've gained 2 kilos of real fat that i now have lost (restricting and working out like crazy ) but it mooning in unhealthy stuff made things so much harder. i still struggle with chocolate cravings and eating lots of chocolate and there was only like 2 posts saying to steer clear from it , so i wish someone told me.. i readied a lot (readied about that guy who lost weight on nuttela and post a article about it ) but what happened after?

n҉e҉v҉e҉r҉ ҉s҉e҉e҉k҉ ҉l҉o҉v҉e҉,҉ ҉t҉h҉e҉n҉ ҉y҉o҉u҉ ҉w҉o҉n҉t҉ ҉g҉e҉t҉ ҉h҉u҉r҉t҉

t̸̮͔͂̈̌͊͘è̴̬̜̾͝l̶͙̓̆͆̃̂͐̄͠ḷ̴̨̡̲͚̰͚̫͉͌͒̅́̿̃̉̔̄͜͝ ̵̢͎̘̲̅̇̕i̵͎̥̬͍̬͕͋͂̔̕ ̷̛̥͎͎̯̙͎̙͍̏̇͑̉̈́̄̈͗̃b̵̫͖̫̥̙͉̮̝͇͠e̵̛͇̽́̔͝ç̴̜̓̅̀͌ơ̶̢̡̩͙̏͌̒̇̍̆̒͋͘m̸̨̨͓͍͚̞̯̹̫̊è̶͍̀̄̿̈̒̈ ̶̖̩͂̒̈́å̴̛̺͎̺̱̱̳̃̐̓̿͋̈ͅͅ ̷̡̢̥̒̇͋̒̾̅s̵͕̮̱͋̀́̊͠͠ẖ̶̝̺̬̣̗͚̇̋͊̀̇̀̽̕͝i̵̞̮̣̬̠̯̊̋͂̍͐̈́͐͂͜͠n̷̪̻̅͒̕ì̴̬̃̒̈́ģ̶̛̟͋̄͛̏̆͝á̸͚͓̌̈́̃̍͋̓̋͜m̶͔͖̘̫̒͋i̶̗̞͓̎

#2 NellWingedDevil

NellWingedDevil

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Location𝕽𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖉𝖊𝖓𝖙 𝖔𝖋 𝖍𝖊𝖑𝖑

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:44 PM

i mean those 3 lbs losses people keep having could easily be water weight or food volume weight (less food vs calories) and its either that or that people restrict their calories while doing them or they are in ketosis that's what my conclusion is to myself.

n҉e҉v҉e҉r҉ ҉s҉e҉e҉k҉ ҉l҉o҉v҉e҉,҉ ҉t҉h҉e҉n҉ ҉y҉o҉u҉ ҉w҉o҉n҉t҉ ҉g҉e҉t҉ ҉h҉u҉r҉t҉

t̸̮͔͂̈̌͊͘è̴̬̜̾͝l̶͙̓̆͆̃̂͐̄͠ḷ̴̨̡̲͚̰͚̫͉͌͒̅́̿̃̉̔̄͜͝ ̵̢͎̘̲̅̇̕i̵͎̥̬͍̬͕͋͂̔̕ ̷̛̥͎͎̯̙͎̙͍̏̇͑̉̈́̄̈͗̃b̵̫͖̫̥̙͉̮̝͇͠e̵̛͇̽́̔͝ç̴̜̓̅̀͌ơ̶̢̡̩͙̏͌̒̇̍̆̒͋͘m̸̨̨͓͍͚̞̯̹̫̊è̶͍̀̄̿̈̒̈ ̶̖̩͂̒̈́å̴̛̺͎̺̱̱̳̃̐̓̿͋̈ͅͅ ̷̡̢̥̒̇͋̒̾̅s̵͕̮̱͋̀́̊͠͠ẖ̶̝̺̬̣̗͚̇̋͊̀̇̀̽̕͝i̵̞̮̣̬̠̯̊̋͂̍͐̈́͐͂͜͠n̷̪̻̅͒̕ì̴̬̃̒̈́ģ̶̛̟͋̄͛̏̆͝á̸͚͓̌̈́̃̍͋̓̋͜m̶͔͖̘̫̒͋i̶̗̞͓̎

#3 Keepitsecret?

Keepitsecret?

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:52 PM

THIS IS HOW MONO DIETS WORK (AND DON'T) - Mono diet - Forums and Community (myproana.com)

• Tutu, Glorificus and Daniel4754 like this

#4 Nullivorous

Nullivorous

hot single calorie whore near you

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3936 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:52 PM

A lot of those monos are a gimmick. The whole concept came from an article that concluded "if you eat the same *balanced* MEALS every day, You're more likely to intuitively eat and therefore lose weight". Except the ED community played the telephone game when quoting the article that it turned into "Eat the same food all day, you lose weight". Throw in some quirky ED behaviors (like I had a tendency to eat nothing but fruit a few days in summer, just because I love watermelon and strawberries), and you get people claiming it's some magic diet. I'm still impressed that like 7 years after the mono fad began, it's still considered a thing.

Also, going to point out that sometimes the chocolate cravings are from a magnesium deficiency. I had massive chocolate cravings for like 10 years. Craving like eating 1400 kcal of chocolate a day. And despite being in various ED programs and seeing various dietitians (including ME getting a nutrition degree), I never once correlated that the chocolate cravings were related to a magnesium deficiency. I just assumed it's because I really like chocolate and would binge on what I like. The instant I started taking a magnesium supplement, the cravings calmed tf down. It was so stupid and I'm still mad it took like 10 years only for someone on MPA to solve the mystery.

• Keepitsecret? and NellWingedDevil like this

Just let me relapse without judgement

Legit Nutritionist Degree

Inbox always open for questions or memes

The only hurdle to becoming who I want to be is me

My MPA Status Thread

MY ULTIMATE WEIGHT PREDICTION CALCULATOR!! FREE TO USE:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hEqFBBhu6Tz6HVK6fiJ_mY_rpRVXDg3eQzacH6qY-NE/edit

Coronavirus Survival Thread:

https://www.myproana.com/index.php/topic/3967739-enduring-quarantine-hangouts-tips-and-tricks-galore/

Iconic MPA Threads:

Spoiler

#5 Keepitsecret?

Keepitsecret?

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 04:53 PM

Remember: CICO is king

• Raphael, Kites, ForeverDieting and 4 others like this

#6 LardArse2492

LardArse2492

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:02 PM

I've done multiple mono diets, including chocolate, bread, pork scratchings, potato, apple, banana, egg and chicken. They do work, I have never gained or even maintained on a mono. If I've been restricting and find myself getting really hungry, I will have a mono day to fill myself up and easily top out at 3k calories and still lose a good 0m5kg each time

#7 wraithling

wraithling

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:36 AM

OP, one of the really bad side effects of mono diets (especially long term) is that people get used to feeling that they can eat "unlimited" or at least large amounts of sugar, high cal stuff like chocolate or nutella. 

This makes them likely to binge long term, as well as have very strong sugar cravings. Eating nothing but high sugar foods for days at a time really messes with your blood sugar levels and cravings. 

I didn't want to say anything about the potential weight effects but I just wanted to note this, which I know from personal experience. When you eat like that for an extended time, it becomes difficult to return to normal eating/not binging. 

• cattime and Keepitsecret? like this

#8 Daniel4754

Daniel4754

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2150 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 10 April 2021 - 11:56 AM

In my experience, I got tired of eating same food for every meal, started fasting to avoid eating my mono food, before abandoning the diet completely.
SW: 347 • CW: 327 • GW: 190 • MyFitnessPal: Daniel8746

#9 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1090 posts
  • LocationSunnydale, looking for my key

Posted 12 April 2021 - 08:12 AM

Eggs are high in protein & also contain healthy fat - both of which are filling. As a result, it's very difficult to sit there and eat thousands of calories of boiled eggs - there's even a famous 'egg dare' scene in the film Cool Hand Luke which illustrates this.

Same goes for fruit and veg - I ate a kilo of broccoli the other day & honestly couldn't move afterwards, but it was under 300 cals for the lot.

Chocolate is high fat, high sugar, high calorie with negligible nutritional value - unlimited chocolate/Nutella is doomed to result in weight gain

Unlimited 'monos' of crap are no better than the intuitive eating thing in the HAES cult where they eat obscene amounts of crap & then wonder why they're morbidly obese.

It's also worth remembering that diet testimonies on MPA are not gospel for many reasons & so are not a reliable, fact based source. I always look at diet results, etc as being 'for entertainment purposes only'. Any testimony - on or off MPA - is to be taken with a pinch of salt. Even scientific research studies can be heavily flawed & unreliable if they're funded by an interested party - eg, the sugar industry funding a study into how cream cakes aid weight loss & only in the small print does it say it was a sample size of three people with a meth habit, lol..

People under/overestimate what they're eating, not everyone does  forensic breakdown of their food diary & sadly, people can and do lie - be it for clicks & likes or to even sabotage other peoples' weight loss attempts, almost trolling. 

MPA is a public website & we've had our fair share of bad actors - lots of incels, hunbots flogging pills, etc for example (admins boot them out pretty quickly tho).

I could tell you I lost 15lbs in three days by eating only as much Haribo as I could stomach - you have no way of knowing if this is completely false/completely true. I could be a 400lb fat activist who hates MPA & wants to f'ck with people for all anyone knows (I'm not, but you see what I'm getting at)

I do my own accountabilities on here, but I state in all of them that they are not to be attempted by anyone else - more because I'm trying to avoid some 14yr old wannarexic keeling over tbh.

• Ashgar99 and cattime like this

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#10 Anamia.

Anamia.

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5574 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 18 April 2021 - 08:56 PM

CICO is ultimately how you lose weight. 

The way monos work is that you get tired of eating the same food so you end up in a cal deficit because you got so bored.

• dollfang likes this

Height: 5'55 

HW:200
SW:166
CW: been stuck in the 120s like

UGW: 90 

Maintenance Goal: Staying in the range of the 40kgs (90-105ish lbs). BMI 16 probs the sweet spot.

Accountability: https://www.myproana...tarving-artist/

Affirmations: 

I am worthy of abundance in my life. (Just not in regards to fat on my body okay I want that fat-free female figure.)
Opportunities are always attracted to me and I am always presented with them at the right time.
I am worthy of financial security and financial abundance.

Gave up recovery and the idea of recovering.

I'm not so naiive as to believe that reaching my UGW would be ultimate happiness,

but it is so much easier to be sad and underweight than it is to be fat and depressed.

#11 princess peach

princess peach

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1393 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 04:31 PM

CICO is ultimately how you lose weight. 

The way monos work is that you get tired of eating the same food so you end up in a cal deficit because you got so bored.

i dont think any of us here know exactly why they work/dont work as theres not much research done about this shit to my knowledge. i will say that i think when they do work it could be because your body is basically "fasting" and therefore u can get into ketosis. i tested my urine for ketones over the weekend after doing back to back monos and i def had ketones in my urine. not sure if it was some sort of freak accident, but ive done the keto diet multiple times and feel the same side effects while doing mono's which is why i bought the test strips. gonna test all week to see if it stays consistent. just thought i'd throw that out there.

• cattime likes this

152179h4qroi8q2b.gif                   

♥ height: 5'0

♥ sw:132

cw:114

♥ gw1:120

♥ gw2:115

♥ gw3:110

♥ gw4:105

♥ gw5:100

♥ gw6:95

♥ ugw:85

#12 kissmyabs

kissmyabs

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 18 May 2021 - 07:23 AM

i dont think any of us here know exactly why they work/dont work as theres not much research done about this shit to my knowledge. i will say that i think when they do work it could be because your body is basically "fasting" and therefore u can get into ketosis. i tested my urine for ketones over the weekend after doing back to back monos and i def had ketones in my urine. not sure if it was some sort of freak accident, but ive done the keto diet multiple times and feel the same side effects while doing mono's which is why i bought the test strips. gonna test all week to see if it stays consistent. just thought i'd throw that out there.

interesting. what did you mono when you had ketones?

not thin enough for ana. not clean enough for ortho.

BMI 23 22 21 20 19 maintenance

plateauing since April 28

accountability:

#13 princess peach

princess peach

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1393 posts

Posted 19 May 2021 - 05:04 PM

interesting. what did you mono when you had ketones?

i did all types of monos, mostly fruit i think. i would have to look back at my posts. but i was testing my self frequently and with all types of monos i was in ketosis pretty much the whole time. so for me this is why i think they work. gonna start moning again so ill see if i can get back in to ketosis.

• kissmyabs likes this

152179h4qroi8q2b.gif                   

#14 kissmyabs

kissmyabs

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 2077 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 20 May 2021 - 03:04 AM

i did all types of monos, mostly fruit i think. i would have to look back at my posts. but i was testing my self frequently and with all types of monos i was in ketosis pretty much the whole time. so for me this is why i think they work. gonna start moning again so ill see if i can get back in to ketosis.

so carby ones to. that's v interesting and could explain the "fasting feeling"

• cattime likes this
not thin enough for ana. not clean enough for ortho.

BMI 23 22 21 20 19 maintenance

plateauing since April 28

accountability:

#15 princess peach

princess peach

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1393 posts

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:42 AM

so carby ones to. that's v interesting and could explain the "fasting feeling"

I checked back and here’s a list of most of the monos I did where I stayed in ketosis
Mangoes
Cantaloupe
Apples
Blueberries
Chocolate
Sunflower seed butter
There’s probably more but some days I forgot to test myself.
  • kissmyabs likes this

152179h4qroi8q2b.gif                   

#16 spissues

spissues

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2021 - 12:48 AM

Also, going to point out that sometimes the chocolate cravings are from a magnesium deficiency. I had massive chocolate cravings for like 10 years. Craving like eating 1400 kcal of chocolate a day. And despite being in various ED programs and seeing various dietitians (including ME getting a nutrition degree), I never once correlated that the chocolate cravings were related to a magnesium deficiency. I just assumed it's because I really like chocolate and would binge on what I like. The instant I started taking a magnesium supplement, the cravings calmed tf down. It was so stupid and I'm still mad it took like 10 years only for someone on MPA to solve the mystery.

you might have just saved my life.. gonna be trying this and hope that's the case for me too!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mono, work, dont, chocolate, chocolate mono, unhealthy mono

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users