Vegan fats: Nuts, Dark Chocolate or Coconut? - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Vegan fats: Nuts, Dark Chocolate or Coconut?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sunsetwitch

Sunsetwitch

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  • LocationCopenhagen, Denmark

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:30 AM

I’ve decided for sometime to cut back on nut butters due to my past struggle with BED and it has really helped me with my weight recently. I’m always too paranoid about the fat content and can never seem to find the right brand with less sugar / salt etc., so it was easier to let it go altogether.

However, I do find myself overeating nuts and it seems as if I just have an unhealthy habit with nuts in general. At this point the only safe way for me to consume nuts is if I have a protein bowl mixed with other ingredients + almond milk (instead of eating nuts on their own or with fruit).

I’m wondering if I should lay off the nuts for some time and just eat dark vegan chocolate instead? It’s definitely a lot less calories if I eat it in small quantities. I eat avocados too but try to be careful with how much I consume. I tend to get OCD over food packages and either want to eat it all at once LOL as you can now see why I used to have a terrible addiction to peanut butter and it would make me sick.

I am familiar with coconut milk (which I’m not a huge fan of) - however I recently got into coconut sugar / coconut flakes / coconut yoghurt (which I’m not crazy about, but the yoghurt is definitely more doable than the milk!) as well as coconut oil to remove my make-up.

However, I came across this post on reddit which triggered me a bit and has influenced me to consume less coconut products:

The ridiculous paleo and keto diets have led people to believe that coconut products are good for us, but they are high in saturated fat, much higher than other plant products, so they are NOT good for you and should be consumed only in moderation. Fats and oils with high percentages of mono-unsaturated fats and poly-unsaturated fats are far better for you than those like palm and coconut oils that are high in saturated fats. Diets high in saturated fats have been shown conclusively to lead to higher rates of heart disease and strokes. High percentages of saturated fats should be avoided.

Diets that claim to be vegan, paleo and keto often push coconut products in order to make look alike products, like plant based “whipped cream” or plant based “buttermilk” or “yogurt” or “half and half” but these products made from coconut or palm oils are not really good for us, due to the high percentage of saturated fats, Instead, find products that can do the same thing or something similar and not blow the amount of healthy fats by replacing them with unhealthy fats.

#2 radbadmad

radbadmad

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationFrance-ish

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:03 AM

If you should or shouldn't eat nuts or dark chocolate is really up to you, kinda hard to give any advice on it. Obviously you don't have to eat either to have a healthy diet nor are either so inherently horribly bad they must be eliminated from a healthy diet. As with anything, if you find yourself being triggered to binge, then maybe find a replacement for that food. 

#3 Sunsetwitch

Sunsetwitch

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 09:42 AM

If you should or shouldn't eat nuts or dark chocolate is really up to you, kinda hard to give any advice on it. Obviously you don't have to eat either to have a healthy diet nor are either so inherently horribly bad they must be eliminated from a healthy diet. As with anything, if you find yourself being triggered to binge, then maybe find a replacement for that food.

Thank you.

This is why I’ve considered to opt out for dark chocolates that are vegan instead of consuming nuts and nut butters - I think this would be a healthier cure for my BED in the long run.

Would I be able to consume dark chocolates and gain the right types of fats? Would this be a healthier option than the saturated fats that exist in coconut products?

#4 radbadmad

radbadmad

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationFrance-ish

Posted 08 April 2021 - 04:32 PM

Thank you.

This is why I’ve considered to opt out for dark chocolates that are vegan instead of consuming nuts and nut butters - I think this would be a healthier cure for my BED in the long run.

Would I be able to consume dark chocolates and gain the right types of fats? Would this be a healthier option than the saturated fats that exist in coconut products?

You would probably have to look at the nutrition label on whatever chocolate you go for, it can differ a lot. I know for me dark chocolate works quite well when I have a chocolate or sweets craving, because I feel satisfied after just having a little, it doesn't trigger binges for me. I think you just kind of have to try and see how you can handle it.

As for saturated fats, it's true you should avoid getting too much of it as it raises LDL cholesterol levels (i.e. "bad" cholesterol) and coconut oil etc. have a lot of saturated fats in it. But fat in general is still also useful and necessary to raise HDL cholesterol levels (i.e. "good" cholesterol). So fat in coconut oil etc. does this too, as do other sources (like olive or canola). The thing is really to just make sure you don't have too much saturated fat, so it's more about your overall diet than having to eliminate any one particular source. It's fine to have coconut products every now and then. Furthermore, products like yogurts generally are not super high in fat, the coconut yogurt I buy sometimes have very little fat to begin with and a very minor amount of saturated fat, so it's still a good option. It really depends on the specific product as it can very a lot regardless of what base its made of, and then it depends on your overall diet.  

#5 Sunsetwitch

Sunsetwitch

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:21 PM

You would probably have to look at the nutrition label on whatever chocolate you go for, it can differ a lot. I know for me dark chocolate works quite well when I have a chocolate or sweets craving, because I feel satisfied after just having a little, it doesn't trigger binges for me. I think you just kind of have to try and see how you can handle it.

As for saturated fats, it's true you should avoid getting too much of it as it raises LDL cholesterol levels (i.e. "bad" cholesterol) and coconut oil etc. have a lot of saturated fats in it. But fat in general is still also useful and necessary to raise HDL cholesterol levels (i.e. "good" cholesterol). So fat in coconut oil etc. does this too, as do other sources (like olive or canola). The thing is really to just make sure you don't have too much saturated fat, so it's more about your overall diet than having to eliminate any one particular source. It's fine to have coconut products every now and then. Furthermore, products like yogurts generally are not super high in fat, the coconut yogurt I buy sometimes have very little fat to begin with and a very minor amount of saturated fat, so it's still a good option. It really depends on the specific product as it can very a lot regardless of what base its made of, and then it depends on your overall diet.

What chocolate brands would you recommend? There’s a lot I’ve googled but they’re American brands and not all of them get sold in Copenhagen. I’m recently considering Green&Blacks dark chocolate cause they offer some vegan options:

Green & Black's Velvet Edition flavours suitable for vegans are: sea salt, salted caramel, raspberry & hazlenut, mint, roasted almond, orange & almond. Their organic Maya Gold, 70% and 85% bars, burnt toffee, ginger, mint and hazlenut & currant bars also do not list milk an an ingredient.

#6 runningwithyou

runningwithyou

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:48 PM

These aren't on your list, but I'd suggest trying seeds if you binge on nuts! I could 100% down a bag of nuts or jar of nut butter (or seed butter tbh), but because seeds don't have the same large crunch effect, I've kept bags of sesame, chia, and flax seeds for months/years. Since they're smaller, you can sprinkle/mix them over/in things in what feels like larger amounts. 28g / 1 oz of nuts is maybe 20, but 28g / 1 oz of sesame seeds is hundreds.

"accountability"

they/she

vegan, overexerciser, a mess

173 cm (5'8")

Spoiler

#7 ljubovnik

ljubovnik

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:08 AM

seconding chia seeds, they're genius, also avocados have good fats
f/22 - cw 53kg/gw 45kg - 168cm

#8 milliondolla

milliondolla

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:18 AM

for fats i love flax, chia, pepitas, and dark chocolate. i really recommend the aldi dark chocolates, lindt, or green & blacks. i just put my seeds in my porridge and eat pepitas by themselves because they are yummy and i don't think i would ever over eat them

cw: 44kg bmi: 15

#9 ChocoholicCyclist

ChocoholicCyclist

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:50 AM

What chocolate brands would you recommend? There’s a lot I’ve googled but they’re American brands and not all of them get sold in Copenhagen. I’m recently considering Green&Blacks dark chocolate cause they offer some vegan options:

Green & Black's Velvet Edition flavours suitable for vegans are: sea salt, salted caramel, raspberry & hazlenut, mint, roasted almond, orange & almond. Their organic Maya Gold, 70% and 85% bars, burnt toffee, ginger, mint and hazlenut & currant bars also do not list milk an an ingredient.

I'm not a vegan or a nutritionist, but I am a chocolate geek!

For me, chocolate is a treat rather than a source of fat. I limit the quantity of chocolate I eat to limit my sugar, but I enjoy the taste of some sugar when I do eat chocolate.

If you are eating chocolate specifically to consume fat, you might look at Lindt's 95% and 99% cocoa products. Not as tasty in my opinion, but for me that's true of ultra-low-sugar chocolate in general. Certainly not bad, though. Milk is not a listed ingredient but it has the shared-equipment "may contain" disclosure for milk, soy, and tree nuts.

Green & Black products are certainly tasty in my experience, but depending on what your nutrition goals are you may or may not want all the sugar that a 70% cocoa bar contains.

A guy in his 30's gradually working off pounds gradually added since college.

6'2 (188 cm)

HW 257 lb (116.5 kg) late 2020

LW/CW 228 6/21

Going for overall fitness. Hope to be under 210 by year end.

kik/insta ChocoholicCyclist

#10 Sunsetwitch

Sunsetwitch

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 11:14 AM

These aren't on your list, but I'd suggest trying seeds if you binge on nuts! I could 100% down a bag of nuts or jar of nut butter (or seed butter tbh), but because seeds don't have the same large crunch effect, I've kept bags of sesame, chia, and flax seeds for months/years. Since they're smaller, you can sprinkle/mix them over/in things in what feels like larger amounts. 28g / 1 oz of nuts is maybe 20, but 28g / 1 oz of sesame seeds is hundreds.

OOH I LOVE SEEDS! LOL! I already consume them on the regular when I’m not fasting. It’s just that I’ve added them as part of my “protein” list, rather than fats, so I’m wondering if I have to look i to my other healthy fat options.

Do you think chia / hemp / flax seeds can compensate for avocados / nuts / dark chocolate?

#11 runningwithyou

runningwithyou

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1389 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:20 PM

Here's the nutritional info for some of the foods we've been talking about! I listed out the fat info since that's what we're talking about.

Overall, the seeds are fairly similar amongst themselves, and have less saturated fat than nuts, except for almonds. Seeds have higher levels of polyunsaturated fats and nuts have higher levels of monounsaturated fats.

Dark chocolate has the most saturated fat by far, and if you went by calorie (~550) avocadoes have similar fat profiles to nuts. I used Green & Black's Organic Dark Chocolate since you specifically mentioned it.

Chia seeds:https://fdc.nal.usda...00612/nutrients (cals: 534; total fat: 42.2g; sat fat: 3.7g; mono fat: 7.5g; poly fat: 28.7g)

Hemp seeds: https://fdc.nal.usda...70148/nutrients (cals: 553; total fat: 48.8g; sat fat: 4.6g; mono fat: 5.4g; poly fat: 38.1g

Flax seeds: https://fdc.nal.usda...00610/nutrients (cals: 534; total fat: 42.2g; sat fat: 3.7g; mono fat: 7.5g; poly fat: 28.7g)

Avocadoes: https://fdc.nal.usda...02652/nutrients (cals: 160; total fat: 14.7g; sat fat: 2.1g; mono fat: 9.8g; poly fat: 1.8g)

Almonds: https://fdc.nal.usda...00508/nutrients (cals: 579; total fat: 50.0g; sat fat: 3.8g; mono fat: 31.6g; poly fat: 12.3g)

Cashews: https://fdc.nal.usda...00516/nutrients (cals: 574; total fat: 46.4g; sat fat: 9.2g; mono fat: 27.3g; poly fat: 7.8g)

Peanuts: https://fdc.nal.usda...00536/nutrients (cals: 567; total fat: 49.2g; sat fat: 6.3g; mono fat: 24.4g; poly fat: 15.6g)

Dark chocolate: https://fdc.nal.usda...08395/nutrients (cals: 600; total fat: 42.9g; sat fat: 25.7g; mono fat: not given; poly fat: not given)

all info is per 100g

"accountability"

they/she

vegan, overexerciser, a mess

173 cm (5'8")

Spoiler

#12 papuche

papuche

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:07 PM

I always tend to overeat/binge on nut/seeds/nut butter like you... But I know that it' s bad to completely cut fat... So at the moment, I just keep flaxseed (sometimes chia but flaxseeds are cheaper and local). I make homemade flaxseed milk with raw cocoa! Sounds strange but it tastes great  :)

#13 Here_to_stay

Here_to_stay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:02 AM

As others have suggested, you should try eating seeds and avocado instead of dark chocolate. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users