Running social anxiety - Exercise - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Running social anxiety

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 destroyerdaughter

destroyerdaughter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 12:53 PM

I’m not new to running, but it’s been so long since i’ve done it i might as well be. I want to start back up, but i’m so scared of people seeing me, i already feel so fat when i’m just going for a walk... help??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ithim_gach_rud

ithim_gach_rud

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • LocationIntermountain West, USA

Posted 07 April 2021 - 04:03 PM

I wish I could help. The true answer is absolutely no one out there cares about what you're doing and will barely register your existence, and certainly will not notice or care about your weight. But, when you have social anxiety knowing the truth doesn't really help...

• destroyerdaughter likes this

Stats and such:

Spoiler

#3 Lentilsandbeans

Lentilsandbeans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:28 PM

A mental trick that helped me when I got started was reflecting on what I thought about when I saw something running. I was never thinking about how fit or fat they were. I only ever thought that they had the willpower to get out and run, but I didn't. Then I inferred that that's what other people would be thinking if they saw me. Helped me, ymmv.
  • WanderingLove and destroyerdaughter like this

#4 destroyerdaughter

destroyerdaughter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

A mental trick that helped me when I got started was reflecting on what I thought about when I saw something running. I was never thinking about how fit or fat they were. I only ever thought that they had the willpower to get out and run, but I didn't. Then I inferred that that's what other people would be thinking if they saw me. Helped me, ymmv.

thank you so much! i’ll think about that next time i get in my head about it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 NoFlyBy

NoFlyBy

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:03 AM

100% fake it till you make it. I was so so embarrassed/awkward about it to the point that I couldn't walk to get my mail without feeling so anxious and uncomfortable, worrying people were looking out their windows laughing at me for even bothering to exercise, when I wasn't even doing that, lol. I'd only go out in jeans to make that obvious.
So anyway the other day I went to some local walking/running paths by the river and observed other people while lacing up my shoes in the car. Then I got out and did what everyone else did, as if I did it every day.

I can hardly run 1/4 mile at a time at this point. Admittedly I still try to keep my running to the parts of trails where there's no one nearby, but I've started doing spurts on the main trail.

Honestly, I look at it this way - even if you don't have the stamina or don't look the way you think you "should" look to be out exercising, people are ultimately either in their own world OR understand about the process of getting in shape and have respect for the fact that you're actually out there improving yourself as you're able. Lentils made a very good similar point - you're putting in effort and working towards something. People have respect for that. Nobody out there woke up one day and went from a sedentary lifestyle to jogging miles on end; everyone had to build up their fitness.
But honestly I feel like people who run generally aren't bitchy about it - running tends to be a very introspective/individual thing, not really a comparison thing, because why compare my building-up-my-fitness 1/4 run to that dude's leisurely pre-work 3 mile jog to that girl's serious training interval walking and running to that lady's peaceful 2 mile walk? We're all there with different goals but for the same reasons, to better ourselves. And that's based purely on comparison to past performance, not at all related to anyone else's. So nobody's really comparing.
Nobody knows anyway; they're running, they're gone, lol. For all they know, you're just taking it easy between intervals or whatever.

It's definitely worth it to just get out there and go for it. It gets more comfortable over time too tbh.
  • destroyerdaughter likes this
AYO I'm not ignoring y'all in PMs, it just won't work rn, I'll be back asap lol

^ idk wtf is going on with that but whatever lol ^

Pics of me n my cat n plants and also lots of ED- and life-related outpourings and diatribes

mWenfkV.gif

~

B8FWmJZ.gif

Doesn't matter where I've been. Only where I am, and where I'm going. Losing until I like how I look and feel satisfied.

Car enthusiast
Obsessed with walking
An island, sometimes paradise, sometimes deserted
My cat and my car are the only entities I'll ever truly trust and rely upon lol

Spoiler

🌼 5'6.5 🌼 HW 156.6 🌼 LW 107.4 🌼 CW 107.6/BMI 17.1 (48.8kg) 4/10/21🌼 GW 106 🌼 UGW 97 🌼

🌼 UGBMI 15.4 🌼

🌼⭐🌼

🌼

what a shame, until my LW is always my CW

nU14Dpl.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users