How do you guys find out so much about nutrition? - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How do you guys find out so much about nutrition?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 skelet0ngrl

skelet0ngrl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:47 PM

I’ve always kind of leaned towards orthorexia, although i only recently found out what it was.

I’ve really been wanting to learn more about nutrition, cause I think it will help keep me on track. Whenever I know WHY I’m doing something and the ins and outs of it, it’s much easier for me i’m not sure why.

Anyways, how do you guys accumulate so much knowledge on this stuff? I really just want to know how to get all my vitamins, macros, micronutrients, and know what foods go together etc. to optimize weight loss.

Any responses appreciated! Thanks <3

✿ 𝕯𝖆𝖎𝖘𝖞 ✿
𝕙𝕖𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥: 𝟝’𝟛”
𝕤𝕨: 𝟙𝟘𝟞
𝕔𝕨: 𝟙𝟘𝟝
𝕘𝕨: 𝟡𝟘

*•.¸♡ 𝓶𝓲𝓵𝓮𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓷𝓮𝓼 ♡¸.•*

#2 Starduss

Starduss

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3549 posts
  • LocationThe bottom of the Baggie

Posted 07 April 2021 - 10:51 PM

I just look at nutrition labels.
  • not_my_body and FlaminGalah like this
pfazq.png

#3 Here_to_stay

Here_to_stay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:05 PM

"How Not to Die" by Micheal Greger is a great book, but you can find all of his research and advice on his website Nutritionfacts.org. If you're looking to loose weight, he wrote another book called "How Not to Diet", but it is pretty critical of calorie restriction (for better or for worse).

My favorite Youtube Channel for nutrition information is Lilykoi Hawaii. She has tons of videos on pretty much everything. 

Additionally, you can plug in all your food and supplements into Cronometer. Then, you can see what nutrients you are lacking and whatnot. 

Have a great day!

• seakissed, HaoHao, skelet0ngrl and 3 others like this

#4 skelet0ngrl

skelet0ngrl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:34 PM

"How Not to Die" by Micheal Greger is a great book, but you can find all of his research and advice on his website Nutritionfacts.org. If you're looking to loose weight, he wrote another book called "How Not to Diet", but it is pretty critical of calorie restriction (for better or for worse).

My favorite Youtube Channel for nutrition information is Lilykoi Hawaii. She has tons of videos on pretty much everything.

Additionally, you can plug in all your food and supplements into Cronometer. Then, you can see what nutrients you are lacking and whatnot.

Have a great day!

oooooh! thanks i’ll definitely check this out and replace MyPlate with Cronometer

✿ 𝕯𝖆𝖎𝖘𝖞 ✿
𝕙𝕖𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥: 𝟝’𝟛”
𝕤𝕨: 𝟙𝟘𝟞
𝕔𝕨: 𝟙𝟘𝟝
𝕘𝕨: 𝟡𝟘

*•.¸♡ 𝓶𝓲𝓵𝓮𝓼𝓽𝓸𝓷𝓮𝓼 ♡¸.•*

#5 moomoomelon

moomoomelon

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 12:22 AM

the knowledge accumulates over time as u do more research & implement new eating habits into ur life. also following healthy foodies on social media rly helps expose u to new kinds of food. for ex, i didn't know what tempeh or seitan were until i saw all these vegan foodies on ig eating them!! and there are so many amazing ways to use tofu! 

• only-bones likes this
🅽🅾 🅵🅾🅾🅳 🆆🅸🅻🅻 🅷🅰🆁🅼 🆈🅾🆄
🅼🅾🆁🅴 🆃🅷🅰🅽 🆈🅾🆄🆁 🅴🅳 🆆🅸🅻🅻

gw: the happiest & healthiest
version of myself :>
cht: 5'1''  ght: 5'6'' 

#6 ifuseekbby

ifuseekbby

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1067 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:06 AM

Nutrition is one of my favorite subjects.

#7 Lentilsandbeans

Lentilsandbeans

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:15 AM

I think UCSF's mini medical school videos on YouTube are a really good primer. Otherwise, as others have said it's the cumulative effect of years of obsession.
  • Loquat and only-bones like this

#8 HaoHao

HaoHao

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Locationavoiding the bread monster

Posted 08 April 2021 - 09:07 AM

Have a great day!

100% recommend Dr Greger.

I was at a really low point in my life physically and mentally and then I bought How Not To Die on an impulse. I'm not 100% on either fronts now cos you know, ED and all that, but at the same time I feel like my life has improved since picking up a few things from his books. His Daily Dozen diet is always in the back of my mind so I am more mindful of adding in healthy things to my meals. 

I like how the dude sells books but also everything he says in the book he puts on his own website so it feels less like he cares for the profit like these "diet coaches" and more about making people healthier. 

• WallyWoofer, ChangelingQueen and only-bones like this

Untitled.png

EDC: HaoHao

#9 bewellzebub

bewellzebub

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 10:59 AM

100% recommend Dr Greger.

I was at a really low point in my life physically and mentally and then I bought How Not To Die on an impulse. I'm not 100% on either fronts now cos you know, ED and all that, but at the same time I feel like my life has improved since picking up a few things from his books. His Daily Dozen diet is always in the back of my mind so I am more mindful of adding in healthy things to my meals.

I like how the dude sells books but also everything he says in the book he puts on his own website so it feels less like he cares for the profit like these "diet coaches" and more about making people healthier.

That last bit is why I trust Dr. Greger more than anyone else in the field. He really does just seem like a guy who wants to help people make themselves healthier. His videos on nutrition are available in Spanish at no extra cost, too. He just wants people to have access to the information.
  • only-bones likes this

#10 Loquat

Loquat

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:26 AM

Doesn't he donate the book profit as well? How Not to Die, the cookbook, and How Not to Diet are all great.

5'3.5" | HW: ~135 | SW: 121 | CW: 108.2 | LW: 106.4 | GW1: 105 | UGW: 99

#11 Mitsy

Mitsy

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 10 April 2021 - 05:36 PM

I obsess about nutrition. The knowledge accumulates when you spend thinking about it and researching it.

• GeorgiaF likes this

5'3"

cw 109

hw 155

lw 75

sw117

gw 105

ugw maintain above 100 below 115

F*** you ED!

#12 not_my_body

not_my_body

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 5233 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:51 AM

I just look at nutrition labels.

Yeah this is me too. Spending hours online looking up foods etc and also hours in a supermarket going through everything.

I do know it's common for people with eating disorders to take a course at UNI or Tafe on Nutrition.
"Now you see, the world is full of temptations. They are wrong things that seem right at the time" - Jiminy Cricket in Pinocchio.

High restricting is the way for me because slow and steady wins the race. As far as I'm concerned, as long as you end the day on a calorie deficit, you have won.

Height: 5 foot 7 / 171cms,
Highest Weight: 180 pounds / 82 kgs, (BMI 28.0)
Lowest Weight: 85 pounds / 39 kgs, (BMI 13.3)

ULTIMATE GOAL WEIGHT (again): 85 pounds / 39 kgs OR LOWER!!!

#13 Tangerine33

Tangerine33

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:39 AM

The Micronutrient Miracle had great info about all of the Micronutrients that need and suggestions on how to get them. Lots of multivitamins have vitamins that kinda counteract each other so they are not as useful as many people think.  

https://nutritiondata.self.com/  This website has so much data on each food it may be overload. But if you know what you are aiming for,  for like calories,  Micronutrients,  macronutrients, aminoacids, etc  you'll find the information for food here.  

I really like Jason Seib on Youtube.  He has a tendency to focus on women's health, dieting, and exercise. He really wants women's to love their bodies they way they are,  aim for health, and learn more about how our bodies work versus men's. He focuses a lot of the macros rather than calorie counting.  I think he'd be great to listen to for someone not already dealing with an ED.

If you exercise a lot,  GaugeGirl on Youtube has great recommendations on how to get proper nutrition while working out.  And good workout options for women too.

Accountability

CW: 177.2 BMI: 28.8 OVERWEIGHT 5/23
GW1: under 190 by 4/17 completed 4/15 
GW2: 180 5/15 completed 5/5

GW3: 170 6/15  goal gift: mani/pedi

GW4: 160 7/15  goal gift: wall decor or google speaker

GW5: 150 8/25 goal gift: hair project
UGW: 145 10/15  goal gift - tiny retreat or tattoo!

#14 WallyWoofer

WallyWoofer

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2431 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:56 AM

Mine came through years of reading and YouTube videos. I have a logical perspective and an ED perspective on what is safe. As well as my desire to be a somewhat "normal" functioning adult lol.

Most experts will agree that a variety of fruits and vegetables are essential. From there things get more complicated.

There is also the debate on what is good for your body vs what is good for the environment.

For instance I have trouble with avocado as I believe it is healthy but it is not local to me and has to be shipped across the world for my consumption.

And I personally feel best with animal protein in my diet but have to navigate the environmental and animal welfare aspects of consuming it.

But to get back to your main point I have to agree that "How not to die" was a great read that I revisit about once a year.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

11215577.png

2021 Goals

Continue Intuitive Eating

Stop buying fast fashion. Make or thrift my wardrobe.

Eat more seasonal and local. Buy from local vendors and the farmers market.

Get more freelance work so I can work from anywhere (Done)

Pay off my debt (SD: 9722, CD: 2845)

Work on my yoga / flexibility

#15 WallyWoofer

WallyWoofer

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2431 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 11 April 2021 - 08:28 AM

Oh and I would recommend starting with what you already eat. Look up info on your most consumed foods. Maybe there are upgrades you can make.

Switching to organic, eating more wholesome grains, pasture raised etc.

Is there somewhere you could add more fruit and veg to something you normally eat...

That kind of thing.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

11215577.png

2021 Goals

Continue Intuitive Eating

Stop buying fast fashion. Make or thrift my wardrobe.

Eat more seasonal and local. Buy from local vendors and the farmers market.

Get more freelance work so I can work from anywhere (Done)

Pay off my debt (SD: 9722, CD: 2845)

Work on my yoga / flexibility

#16 sidewalk

sidewalk

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 4788 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 11 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

google and documentaries

Spoiler

#17 m4neater

m4neater

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 10:53 AM

A lot a lot a lot a lot of research.

Theres a ton of youtube videos from nutritionists and actual universities themselves. .edu websites are good when I want to learn about macros and stuff. Harvard has charts and shit about GI sugars, carbs, all the good stuff. 

So yeah mostly just looking a ton of stuff up, reddit has a lot of subreddits that talk about nutrition and there are so many meal plan breakdowns I love it. 

sbmyag.gif

#18 ribb0ne

ribb0ne

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:14 PM

honestly i just google tons of stuff and read a lot of articles. i ask questions on here and people more knowledgeable than me answer. i read books, i watch documentaries and i watch youtube videos. i'm actually debating on getting certified as a nutritionist online bc i just want to know as much as i can. it makes me feel safe lmao.

ꜱᴡ: 147; ᴄᴡ: ??; ɢᴡ: 114

accountability: https://www.myproana...tch-chronicles/

#19 papuche

papuche

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:16 PM

If you are a student, you can borrow manuals on nutrition at your library ! Also, if your university gives you access to academic articles, you can pick and read some of them on nutrition, I learnt a lot with those trust resources, although it' s not my field of study. Additionally, if you can afford it, take a course on nutrition :) 

#20 dollfang

dollfang

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • 3788 posts
  • LocationU.S.

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:59 PM

Documentaries, googling a lot of things (and reading from reputable sources), looking at nutrition labels.

But taking a college nutrition class is what expanded my knowledge to where I needed it to be ngl I already knew a lot of the material from personally obsessing over it for years but that class taught me how to calculate calories accurately and I’m SO thankful

(labels will straight up LIE and pretend fiber cancels out carbs and list a lower calorie count!! almost bought these giant “90-calorie” tortilla wraps once..... calculated the cals off the label and they were really 120-140 cals per )

HW: 130 LW: 91.8 CW: 107.8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users