How do you guys find out so much about nutrition? - Page 2 - Orthorexia - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

How do you guys find out so much about nutrition?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 ribb0ne

ribb0ne

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Locationcalifornia

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:13 PM

Documentaries, googling a lot of things (and reading from reputable sources), looking at nutrition labels.

But taking a college nutrition class is what expanded my knowledge to where I needed it to be ngl I already knew a lot of the material from personally obsessing over it for years but that class taught me how to calculate calories accurately and I’m SO thankful

(labels will straight up LIE and pretend fiber cancels out carbs and list a lower calorie count!! almost bought these giant “90-calorie” tortilla wraps once..... calculated the cals off the label and they were really 120-140 cals per )

this freaked me out so much omfg

ꜱᴡ: 146; ᴄᴡ: ??; ɢᴡ: 114

accountability: https://www.myproana...-shit-together/

#22 θαυματοποιός

θαυματοποιός

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2453 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 15 April 2021 - 04:37 PM

College courses on nutrition tbh.

tumblr_n0eo6kyg3u1r7y61oo1_400.gif?w=560

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* currently revolting *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

early/mid 20s 
female 

#23 lovellier

lovellier

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts
  • Locationmelancholy hill

Posted 16 April 2021 - 08:09 AM

dunno, I was never like “now I’m gonna go read about nutrition!”. I’ve just collected bits of information from everywhere. But I have a sponge brain, as in I’m constantly consuming info, learning about stuff, googling random things and questions that pop into my head, etc which helps lol.
  • compulsivelydainty likes this

"my god it go on and on, just like a circle I go back where I'm from."

1n0XU2M.jpg COGSMn8.jpg PG4Gw9X.jpg

el; 1998, queer, 172cm, ugw 44kg.

ednos + ortho.

『 2.5kg out of 7.9kg lost before june 3rd 

#24 zerocalfast

zerocalfast

• Accountability access
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 April 2021 - 12:16 PM

i've taken some college nutrition courses that have helped, but lots of google, and personal research have helped me the most! look at nutrition labels, google what you're confused about, and go from there.

ac0609d66dfeffb49270111449fc118f0221bba7

he/they

height: 163 cm / bmi: 22.2 / cw: 129.6 

gw1: 125 / gw2: 120 /  gw3: 115 /  gw4: 110 / gw5: 105 / gw6: 100 

ugw: 99

accountability

#25 skxletontwins

skxletontwins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 April 2021 - 04:45 AM

My city’s library has a lot of scientific books on nutrition that are cross referenced and fact checked. Scientific papers online are also great. Just start with a topic that interests you and google it. But make sure to check the sources (I sound like such a teacher but imo it’s important to get actual information).

#26 skxletontwins

skxletontwins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

My city’s library has a lot of scientific books on nutrition that are cross referenced and fact checked. Scientific papers online are also great. Just start with a topic that interests you and google it. But make sure to check the sources (I sound like such a teacher but imo it’s important to get actual information).

#27 skxletontwins

skxletontwins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

#28 TheJunior

TheJunior

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3388 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 08:31 AM

Google

<3 Junior

┌─── 。゚: *. .* :☆゚. ───┐

~All content sent from Hell~

LW : 96.2

HW : ~134

The Accountability

body checks foods i eat | weigh ins | rant room post

└─── 。゚: *..* :☆゚. ───┘

#29 ChangelingQueen

ChangelingQueen

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:30 PM

"How Not to Die" by Micheal Greger is a great book, but you can find all of his research and advice on his website Nutritionfacts.org. If you're looking to loose weight, he wrote another book called "How Not to Diet", but it is pretty critical of calorie restriction (for better or for worse).

My favorite Youtube Channel for nutrition information is Lilykoi Hawaii. She has tons of videos on pretty much everything.

Additionally, you can plug in all your food and supplements into Cronometer. Then, you can see what nutrients you are lacking and whatnot.

Have a great day!

I love that book

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Come away, O human child! To the waters and the wild/ With a faery, hand in hand,

For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand."

#30 ChangelingQueen

ChangelingQueen

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 April 2021 - 06:34 PM

100% recommend Dr Greger.

I was at a really low point in my life physically and mentally and then I bought How Not To Die on an impulse. I'm not 100% on either fronts now cos you know, ED and all that, but at the same time I feel like my life has improved since picking up a few things from his books. His Daily Dozen diet is always in the back of my mind so I am more mindful of adding in healthy things to my meals.

I like how the dude sells books but also everything he says in the book he puts on his own website so it feels less like he cares for the profit like these "diet coaches" and more about making people healthier.

Yess I know I’m not totally normal w food yet, im still mad obsessive but learning and reading abt being WFPB has helped me SO much. My relationship with food has improved and I’m not full blown anorexic anymore. Hopefully w time I’ll be able to be less obsessed with food, get over my fears of beans and not getting an insane amount of protein, and lean fully into that lifestyle. That’s my recovery goal - being fully WFPB and eating intuitivly with whole unprocessed foods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Come away, O human child! To the waters and the wild/ With a faery, hand in hand,

For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users