Cheat meals - Low Carb Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Cheat meals

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sweet Lime

Sweet Lime

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • LocationSmoky Mountains

Posted 09 April 2021 - 02:21 PM

I was considering giving myself a cheat day once a week, but still keeping the carbs to 60 or 70g and calories reasonable. I'm curious if anyone has been able to pull this off. I know it'll help mentally to have a little change to look forward to every week. I'm not talking about refined carbs and sugar here, I'm planning honey in my tea and an apple, maybe some dry wine. Naturally carby stuff that I miss. I feel like when I'm deep enough in ketosis, an extra forty grams of carbs once a week shouldn't cause too much damage. Thoughts?

29F. Waitress. Dog mom.

Accountability

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47jrby6zepkjfhcej3fp

#2 fraymagic

fraymagic

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Locationright behind you!

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:26 AM

Personally I dont do cheat days on keto. Getting in ketosis is horrible with the keto flu. So throwing myself out of keto and than having to go through that again... not worth it.

The fact that you're craving carbs enough that you want to cheat might indicate that you're not as deep in ketosis as you think and maybe try to go lower in carbs until the cravings go away? Do you test your ketones? I have these strips I can pee on and they color dark when you're in ketosis.

If you really want to cheat I'd try to not eat for as long as possible afterwards. To up those ketones as fast as possible.

You can't wake up

#3 fraymagic

fraymagic

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Locationright behind you!

Posted 10 April 2021 - 08:28 AM

Fructose and honey might be healthy as they have vitamins and fiber, but in the end they get straight digested as sugar and will spike insulin high. Specially the honey. I can't talk about the wine.

You can't wake up

#4 tahiniii

tahiniii

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:58 PM

Wine has like 1-2 carbs so you can probably have that already...

60-70g of carbs is not a lot. It is like eating 1 small banana and 1 small-medium potato in addition to the 25-30 grams of carbs that might already exist in your diet. When I got fat adapted in the past I wouldn’t get kicked out of ketosis by that, its only 240-280 calories of carbohydrate. You can spread it throughout the day and if you’re active you just burn it off.

I’d avoid eating those extra carbs in refined foods form as it will increase your blood glucose level more quickly, thus making it more likely to get kicked out of ketosis.

If you get kicked out you can do a PSMF or fat fast the next day, it will get you into ketosis within 12-24 hours and you might skip over the keto flu if you take electrolytes with it.
  • Sweet Lime likes this

my accountability can be found at crazed attempts at biohacking II (づ ◕‿◕ )づ

please follow if you are interested in really high restriction!

#5 Ayahalshahidd

Ayahalshahidd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 May 2021 - 01:37 PM

You may consider keto desserts, they won’t kick you out of ketosis and still you would have sth sweet! Personally i use almond flour, stevia and cocoa powder as main ingredient in my desserts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users