Pain tolerance affects restriction? - Illness or Injury - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Pain tolerance affects restriction?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Starvebuckscafe

Starvebuckscafe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 03:42 PM

So I have a pretty good pain tolerance, for example:

1. broke both of my arms long boarding and assumed they were fine, didn’t go to the ER for three hours after only bc they wouldn’t move and it was annoying 

2. got all four wisdom teeth out and forgot they even gave me pain medicine

3. crushed my finger in a wheel well and splinted it myself after I walked it off

4. had a double kidney infection and assumed it was a stomach ache

just a few examples to give you an idea of why I say this, but my point is that I believe my pain tolerance affects how well I can restrict. Hunger pains are rarely an issue for me, and this could be why high restriction is easy for me. Anyone else? What’s your thoughts?

~ No one ever said we would last forever, that doesn’t mean we didn’t try to get there ~

#2 YungGravy

YungGravy

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:23 PM

I have the opposite problem. I’m e x t r e m e l y sensitive, like pathetically so. Almost cried during my COVID test today lol. Before I went into recovery I would fast continuously so I think it just has more to do with where you are mentally? I remember when I first started restricting it was hard but not so much anymore and never when I’m feeling exceedingly “disordered”.
  • Starvebuckscafe likes this

#3 Chihiro123

Chihiro123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationU.S.A.

Posted 29 April 2021 - 04:38 PM

My mood affects my appetite. My stress affects my urges to restrict. But I don't like to feel full and if I'm stressed and eat something, I get a stomach ache which reinforces to my mind "why eat if your stomach will just hurt" and there is always a small window of actual hunger. That's when I can enjoy eating sometimes. Otherwise it is just something needed to stay alive. Seems like a mindset thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users