protein shake only diet?! HELP - Member Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

protein shake only diet?! HELP

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 m4neater

m4neater

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 02:58 PM

help help help anyone!

I'm very thin right now but I am somewhat skinny fat. No muscle AT ALL. I know I need to incorporate a lot of protein and weight lifting exercises to gain some.

I don't want to bulk, just get lean. I plan on replacing all 3 of my meals with one whey protein powder shake. Also having one extra. These are the macros for all 4 shakes

720 calories

Total fat: 12g

Cholesterol: 20 mg

Sodium: 900mg

Carbohydrates: 40g

Dietary Fiber: 12g

Sugar: 28g

Protein: 104g

Do you think this will work? Can I actually gain any muscle from this diet? I am incorporating weights into my exercises. Thank you!!!!!

sbmyag.gif

#2 green.tea.aquarius

green.tea.aquarius

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 April 2021 - 03:03 PM

you might gain a little bit of muscle because you'd be consuming so much protein, but it's really hard to gain muscle on a caloric deficit. 

• m4neater likes this
green.tea.aquarius on edc

5'7" || cw: 128.8 lb (april 17, 2021) || gw: 118.0 lb

#3 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1205 posts
  • LocationSunnydale, looking for my key

Posted 12 April 2021 - 10:39 PM

A diet of just highly chemically, highly processed shakes will get very dull & very expensive very fast.

You also only have the manufacturer's word for what's in them & things like Huel & Soylent have quite misleading marketing as they're pretty high in fat (42% fat if I remember right) & you'd be better off getting a McDonald's shake.

You're much better off eating real food that's high in natural sources of protein - eggs, fish, meat, tofu, etc

Your body also doesn't register the caloric values of drinks, but it does recognise actual food. Actual food will therefore fill you up & you're less likely to have a 'f'ck it!' day where you dive face first into an enormous pizza.

Real food also takes a lot of work (ie, burns calories) for your body to break down and process - less so with drinks.

I might be biased tho - I lived on shakes like Complan & Ensure through childhood (extremely thin kid due to food phobia) & various periods of ED recovery & even the look of a vanilla milkshake on TV makes me want to spew, lol

As for building muscle, that cannot be achieved through just eating a bunch of protein - you have to do resistance training. When you exercise, tiny rips are made in your muscles which your body then repairs and the muscle is stronger - that's basically what building muscle is.
  • m4neater likes this

How I Lost 45lbs June 2020-May 2021

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#4 m4neater

m4neater

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:05 PM

A diet of just highly chemically, highly processed shakes will get very dull & very expensive very fast.

You also only have the manufacturer's word for what's in them & things like Huel & Soylent have quite misleading marketing as they're pretty high in fat (42% fat if I remember right) & you'd be better off getting a McDonald's shake.

You're much better off eating real food that's high in natural sources of protein - eggs, fish, meat, tofu, etc

Your body also doesn't register the caloric values of drinks, but it does recognise actual food. Actual food will therefore fill you up & you're less likely to have a 'f'ck it!' day where you dive face first into an enormous pizza.

Real food also takes a lot of work (ie, burns calories) for your body to break down and process - less so with drinks.

I might be biased tho - I lived on shakes like Complan & Ensure through childhood (extremely thin kid due to food phobia) & various periods of ED recovery & even the look of a vanilla milkshake on TV makes me want to spew, lol

As for building muscle, that cannot be achieved through just eating a bunch of protein - you have to do resistance training. When you exercise, tiny rips are made in your muscles which your body then repairs and the muscle is stronger - that's basically what building muscle is.

Yeah guessed so, I think I'll do this this short term instead. Max 2 weeks cause I don't want my organs to shut down LOL.

I've read about Soylent and don't really wanna try, I bought ON 100% Whey Protein Powder and they're a pretty legit brand so I'm hoping that there's no real fat gaining there. 

I do plan on eating clean again tho! I normally do eat chicken, turkey breast, eggs, all the yummy proteins. I just find it so hard to meet my goal in grams so I'm hoping that low calorie + liquid diet + shit ton of protein for a little while will burn off some fat and not eat any muscle away. 

Thank you so much for your input and advice!! Ur a blessing 

• Glorificus likes this

sbmyag.gif

#5 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1205 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 02:25 PM

Yeah guessed so, I think I'll do this this short term instead. Max 2 weeks cause I don't want my organs to shut down LOL.

I've read about Soylent and don't really wanna try, I bought ON 100% Whey Protein Powder and they're a pretty legit brand so I'm hoping that there's no real fat gaining there.

I do plan on eating clean again tho! I normally do eat chicken, turkey breast, eggs, all the yummy proteins. I just find it so hard to meet my goal in grams so I'm hoping that low calorie + liquid diet + shit ton of protein for a little while will burn off some fat and not eat any muscle away.

Thank you so much for your input and advice!! Ur a blessing

Something worth investing in is a BCAA supplement

I've recently started it as apparently it helps build/preserve muscle mass - if you're undereating, you can't avoid your body burning muscle, but at least this stuff might lessen the impact

xx

Sent from my Redmi 8 using Tapatalk
  • m4neater likes this

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#6 m4neater

m4neater

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 13 April 2021 - 09:13 PM

I've recently started it as apparently it helps build/preserve muscle mass - if you're undereating, you can't avoid your body burning muscle, but at least this stuff might lessen the impact

xx

omg I totally forgot about all the other vitamins I need.. thank you! 

• Glorificus likes this

sbmyag.gif

#7 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1205 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 12:33 AM

omg I totally forgot about all the other vitamins I need.. thank you!

I tend to go for sport multivitamins (taking Wellwoman Sport right now) as there's lots of iron & B-vitamins for energy

Hair, Skin & Nails supplements are a must too - look for biotin on the label

Vitamin D & calcium both very important - my bone density is that of an old lady from years of ED, so get those two started ASAP for damage control

Electrolytes like potassium & magnesium are a good idea to protect your heart - especially important if you spew/use laxatives/use diuretics as these deplete electrolytes & put you at risk of heart failure. Sachets of generic versions of Dioralyte/Pedialyte for kids with the trots are perfect

Quite a lot there, lol! Most can be bought very cheaply in their generic form, so don't get suckered into paying a ton for a pretty box & famous name

I've seen folk in here taking multivitamins for pregnant / very elderly ladies as you get more bang for your buck, so worth having a look

xx

• m4neater likes this

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#8 m4neater

m4neater

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 14 April 2021 - 04:34 PM

I tend to go for sport multivitamins (taking Wellwoman Sport right now) as there's lots of iron & B-vitamins for energy

Hair, Skin & Nails supplements are a must too - look for biotin on the label

Vitamin D & calcium both very important - my bone density is that of an old lady from years of ED, so get those two started ASAP for damage control

Electrolytes like potassium & magnesium are a good idea to protect your heart - especially important if you spew/use laxatives/use diuretics as these deplete electrolytes & put you at risk of heart failure. Sachets of generic versions of Dioralyte/Pedialyte for kids with the trots are perfect

Quite a lot there, lol! Most can be bought very cheaply in their generic form, so don't get suckered into paying a ton for a pretty box & famous name

I've seen folk in here taking multivitamins for pregnant / very elderly ladies as you get more bang for your buck, so worth having a look

xx

do you think I can get away with just the multi vitamins and some gatorade for electrolytes LOL

I can't buy everything as of now. 

sbmyag.gif

#9 Glorificus

Glorificus

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1205 posts

Posted 15 April 2021 - 12:16 AM

do you think I can get away with just the multi vitamins and some gatorade for electrolytes LOL

I can't buy everything as of now.

Multivitamins should cover you just fine.

I'd spend what you'd spend on Gatorade & protein shakes on generic Pedialyte or generic magnesium & potassium (have a look on eBay) just to avoid unnecessary crap (I'm British so we don't have Gatorade, but looking online, it looks grim, lol)

Main thing is your b12, iron, calcium & vitamin D which most multivitamins will have.

IxfVu9z.gif8ewg2dY.gif

#10 breakable_doll

breakable_doll

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2768 posts

Posted 18 September 2021 - 03:03 PM

xx

BCAAs can cause (or remediate!) psychological imbalances. The way that manifests (or doesn’t) depends on a number of factors unique to the person taking the supplement. There has been some research that suggests BCAAa can ease manic symptoms in bipolar individuals. BCAAs also show some promise for treatment-resistant schizophrenia. Other research suggests that people with neurotypical psychological traits can experience sudden emotional disregulation when supplementing with BCAAs.

I know people on this site sometimes prefer not to ask for a physician’s advice, but that’s your best bet. If that isn’t possible, maybe just track your emotional state and discontinue the BCAAs if you feel “off”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

accountability

#11 GravesInTheRain

GravesInTheRain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 02:51 PM

You might get kidney issues if you only have protein shakes .
Maybe have lean meat + veggies and like 2 shakes a day ? Also for every protein shake drink 500ml /1 bottle of water to make sure your kidneys dont get fucked etc. And be patient ! Increasing your protein intake might make you retain water for some time , of you want to gain muscle try not to restrict your calories too much .

#12 Karlie93

Karlie93

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 05:41 PM

I know there’s already a lot of advice here but honestly if you want to build muscle mass you need to exercise. Weight training. Body weight training if you don’t have access to the gym. There are loads of online guides and YouTube videos available otherwise consuming endless protein shakes won’t do much

Messy Accountability: 

https://www.myproana...r-1200-journey/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users