vegan keto / low carb ? - Vegetarian/Vegan/Raw Food Diets - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

vegan keto / low carb ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 puppybreath

puppybreath

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts
  • Locationcrying in the bread aisle

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:17 PM

ive been getting a lot of recommendations to do keto or low carb to get out of my binge purge cycle but how doable is this on a vegan diet?
dcg4o7x-c23d96ed-a069-44ba-822a-4b0c1127

#2 princess peach

princess peach

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1411 posts

Posted 23 April 2021 - 06:38 PM

its not as easy but still doable. u can eat low carb veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, zucchini, celery, cucumber and whatever else is low carb just google it. nuts and avocados. its rly tough cuz u need to put that much more thought into it. when i was trying to do a low carb vegan diet i was eating a lot of veggies with oil or margarine and salads with avocado. if u r doing "dirty keto" u can prob sneak in things like vegenaise. i used to make like a coleslaw with avocado and vegenaise. not sure if you are counting macros but things like vegenaise u do need to be careful of. almond or coconut milk is low carb. any meat or dairy alternatives tend to be high carb or higher in carbs, u need to look and see, u can make some work in smaller doses. i would just google low carb vegan/keto vegan recipes and look on youtube as well.

https://thebigmansworld.com/

i found this website last november and was obsessed for a while, it has rly healthy ass recipes and theres also a ton of vegan keto shit. i think most are sweets vs savory which i do prefer savory but a lot of the recipes are soooo easy cuz he has a ton of no bake stuff. anyways good luck on your journey! 

• misscarolina likes this

152179h4qroi8q2b.gif                   

♥ height: 5'0

♥ sw:132

cw:115

♥ gw1:120

♥ gw2:115

♥ gw3:110

♥ gw4:105

♥ gw5:100

♥ gw6:95

♥ ugw:85

#3 Blackcoffee_xo

Blackcoffee_xo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 24 April 2021 - 03:25 AM

I’ve been vegan for nearly a year, I just started keto this week.

So far I’ve shed 4lbs (likely water weight though). My process is to liquid-only fast for between 18-20 hours a day, so I basically only eat after 6pm and then I have a few Brazil nuts, make my tea, then go again.

So far I’ve noticed I’m only eating about 400-500 calories a day because the eating window is so small, yet I actually don’t feel bad physically. On Wednesday, I did wake up feeling a bit anxious and could feel my heart racing so I broke my fast early, but I think I was just having an anxiety episode vs anything to do with the diet. I felt fine again later on and that’s the only time I’ve not felt great so far.

With keto, it suppresses appetite significantly (there’s science behind it if you research on Google). If I were you and you want to try it, I’d start by following keto but not restriction calories or fast in any way for a few days, just make sure everything you eat doesn’t go over the 20g carb total for the day. This will be the hardest part, because once your body adapts it’s pretty easy as your body does the appetite suppressing for you, so if you just have enough motivation to get through the first few days you’ll be fine.

In terms of recipes, it is a lot harder than regular keto but it’s doable. If you like curries then coconut milk is your best friend! I make mine with homemade seitan as that basically has no carbs and a high protein content (I’ve read that too much protein throws a lot of people out of ketosis, however I use keto test strips and I’m in high ketosis despite consuming a decent amount of protein).

I’ve only been doing this for 5 days, I think I’ll only use it to reach my gw (11lbs to go!) as it doesn’t feel like a realistic long term lifestyle.

But to answer your question, yes it’s doable, it curbs appetite, and it doesn’t make you feel like sh!t if you make sure you get a few key pointers right!

Good luck and let me know if you try it :)

#4 misscarolina

misscarolina

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1790 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA, USA

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:36 AM

Check out meatfreeketo.com for recipes and there's also a vegan keto subreddit with a TON of meal ideas! Meatfreeketo has a cookbook which I purchased but tbh I wasn't all that crazy about it lmao the only recipe I enjoyed was a cauliflower soup recipe; there are much better recipes on her website. Someone else mentioned low carb veggies which is great but if you're unhealhty and lazy like I am I recommend lightlife hot dogs! You can cut then up and pan fry them in oil and veggies with a ton of spices. Also don't forgot about shiritaki noodles or rice (the rice is much better than the noodles imo). I'll try to post more if I remember; it's been a long time since I've done vegan keto.

• Haci likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users