What's your LEAST favorite book? - Page 2 - Books and Poems - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

What's your LEAST favorite book?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 rotten_apple

rotten_apple

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 09 June 2021 - 05:48 AM

On The Road by Jack Kerouac, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis.

Twisting deep inside of me,
Forever missing, the glistening.

— SOiL, Unreal.

28. Italy. EDNOS

Drugs and alcohol are my only friends.

Blog: [⛔ for friends only]

Introduction: [here]

Competitions and Challenges 

d9br00j-bb991e00-bfa5-403f-bd81-8a97d6be

Spoiler

#22 veggieburger

veggieburger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:44 PM

so true!! I used to love reading, at the point where I read like 3/4 huge books per week, but as soon as high school started and I was forced to read those boring ass books I've completely lost interest in the activity for some reason. SUCKS.

Any of those high school lit class assigned readings. 1984, Brave New World, The Grapes of Wrath etc etc

YAWN!!!! Idgaf about hidden meanings and symbolism what use is all that if I’m asleep after the first chapter

English is not my native language, please do not come at me if something's wrong <3 

⇥ ʜᴡ55ᴋɢ ʟᴡ45ᴋɢ ᴄᴡ52.6ᴋɢ ɢᴡ45ᴋɢ ʙᴍɪ17.18

#23 inevitablestarvation

inevitablestarvation

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1593 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 01:59 PM

Romeo and Juliet like no. hamlet was okay but i don’t know why we still read Romeo & Juliet — I do — but still it’s eh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#24 sogni-malinconici

sogni-malinconici

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Locationpretty sure this is hell

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:52 PM

Anything written by Ellen Hopkins!! I was recommended her book Impulse for the apparent lgbt and mental health rep. And I've just got to ask what fucking rep, it was a fucking toil to get through. I mean just thinking about it now I'm actually getting angry. I mean if you want rep for terrible mental health services then yeah go for it. Warning it's a shit show! The books like 700 pages and it drags on and on without any payoff. It's just garbage. I kinda feel bad about hating it so much but it's really the only book I actively dislike in this way. I mean I can't even understand anybody who's rating it highly. I mean it's not deep, not emotional, it does not know how to handle it's subject matter, nor does it know what to do with it's characters and it being written in verse doesn't help any of that or change my feelings at all. And goddamn one of the only consistently 'good' things I here about it is that it's written in verse. God it's just fucking shit. 

• BatDuck likes this

3fb5a071298eb5b68140b3f1fc7637a6.gif

#25 BatDuck

BatDuck

your friendly neighborhood anorexic

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14937 posts
  • Locationup my own ass

Posted 23 June 2021 - 01:08 PM

Anything written by Ellen Hopkins!! I was recommended her book Impulse for the apparent lgbt and mental health rep. And I've just got to ask what fucking rep, it was a fucking toil to get through. I mean just thinking about it now I'm actually getting angry. I mean if you want rep for terrible mental health services then yeah go for it. Warning it's a shit show! The books like 700 pages and it drags on and on without any payoff. It's just garbage. I kinda feel bad about hating it so much but it's really the only book I actively dislike in this way. I mean I can't even understand anybody who's rating it highly. I mean it's not deep, not emotional, it does not know how to handle it's subject matter, nor does it know what to do with it's characters and it being written in verse doesn't help any of that or change my feelings at all. And goddamn one of the only consistently 'good' things I here about it is that it's written in verse. God it's just fucking shit.

Omg I forgot how much I hate Ellen hopkins.
I mean, I can't actually say how good the writing itself is because it triggers the fuck out of me. I've only ever read Identical and it was one of the most depressing weeks of my life.

#26 extraskinnyfrappucino

extraskinnyfrappucino

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 June 2021 - 10:53 PM

The Selection by Kiera Cass (God I hate America Singer and Aspen so much). 

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (The writing isn't bad, and it's not the worst thing on my list, but the elements that drag it down... really drag it down. Also, Mare Barrow is just... bone marrow but reversed. Now you can't unsee it). 

Twilight (obviously) 

50 shades of grey (obviously) 

Frostblood by Elly Blake (this is just Red Queen but more infuriating) 

Marked House of Night (Zoey Redbird can choke. Also, there's a passage that says something incredibly insensitive toward people with EDs. NOPE NOPE). 

I... actually liked my high school assigned readings. Animal farm, 1984, lord of the flies. Lol. I'll still read Orwell. 

• BatDuck likes this

Icon by: 𝓟𝓵𝓾𝓶

#27 dreamsynopsis

dreamsynopsis

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2214 posts

Posted 28 June 2021 - 10:54 PM

anthem by ayn rand. i’ve finished every book i’ve ever read (even if i had to restart it or take a break) but i got halfway through this, absolutely revolted all the time and chucked it in a giveaway box. atrocious, hack philosophy. immoral to boot.

i want to commit, restricting is a compromise at this point.

Spoiler

#28 RubyRealgirl

RubyRealgirl

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 11:00 AM

Tropic of Cancer by Henry Miller (my phone tried so hard to correct that as “Topic of Candy”). Henry Miller in general just wanted to be so edgy that it was draining and pathetic.

Also Marcel Proust’s In Search of Lost Time was incredibly unnecessary.
  • Mayans Painted Blue likes this
A7378-BDC-0463-4-F01-AF48-9-F71696-AE53-809-AFEA9-79-F7-4-C61-AA9-E-721-CBDEEEAB

#29 fluctuatingfailure

fluctuatingfailure

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 01 July 2021 - 06:37 AM

Massive by Julia Bell. The writing was atrocious and felt like a middle school assignment. The characters, especially the main one were either so one-dimensional or acted like a child.

#30 BatDuck

BatDuck

• Accountability access
  • 14937 posts
  • Locationup my own ass

Posted 14 July 2021 - 09:49 AM

The Selection by Kiera Cass (God I hate America Singer and Aspen so much). 

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (The writing isn't bad, and it's not the worst thing on my list, but the elements that drag it down... really drag it down. Also, Mare Barrow is just... bone marrow but reversed. Now you can't unsee it). 

Twilight (obviously) 

50 shades of grey (obviously) 

Frostblood by Elly Blake (this is just Red Queen but more infuriating) 

Marked House of Night (Zoey Redbird can choke. Also, there's a passage that says something incredibly insensitive toward people with EDs. NOPE NOPE). 

I... actually liked my high school assigned readings. Animal farm, 1984, lord of the flies. Lol. I'll still read Orwell. 

Red Queen is on my reading list, a little nervous to get to it now :/

Also, mayhaps an unpopular opinion but I didn't think Twilight was that bad. Not good, to be sure, but definitely not as bad as the movies.

• extraskinnyfrappucino likes this

#31 paolarbear

paolarbear

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 14 July 2021 - 12:14 PM

catcher in the rye sucks tbh.... read it because it's a classic and all but I couldn't even finish it. 

• BatDuck and gilgi like this

5'5

98 97 96 95 94 93 92 91 90 89 88 87 86 85

"its nice to feel your ribs on mine"

#32 extraskinnyfrappucino

extraskinnyfrappucino

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 18 July 2021 - 10:46 AM

Red Queen is on my reading list, a little nervous to get to it now :/

Also, mayhaps an unpopular opinion but I didn't think Twilight was that bad. Not good, to be sure, but definitely not as bad as the movies.

It's def not the worst thing I've ever read. If you're a fan of trope-y YA fantasy, you'll probably enjoy it a lot more than I did. 

• BatDuck likes this

Icon by: 𝓟𝓵𝓾𝓶

#33 Ruslana

Ruslana

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1189 posts

Posted 19 July 2021 - 10:33 AM

My least favorite book of all time is actually an ED related book, it is Kid Rex by Laura Moisin. I have never read a more pretentious boring biography. I barely got through it, but I wanted to check a book off of my Good Reads Reading Challenge so I stuck it out. I am honestly not a fan of most modern ED related books though.

ZFDi1Zc.jpg BE7yQI9.jpg  

H: 5'4

HW: 160

CW: 137.2

LW: 102

GW: 112

Q1DeCFE.gif

My Winter Blog

#34 thedivisionbell

thedivisionbell

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 July 2021 - 04:28 PM

The Sound and the Fury!!! Having to read it for school was such a miserable experience, I spent the whole time annoyed at the constant narrative style changes throughout the book. I could have appreciated the style changes reflecting the different narratives if I cared at all about the story itself but I just didn't. I literally don't understand how this novel is considered one of the greatest of all time, it made me never want to pick up another Faulkner book again lmao.

Another one was The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman, which was my first and only Gaiman book. I just really don't vibe with his writing or style at all, found the book really dull and pretentious. 

#35 fatgly

fatgly

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Locationscandinavia

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:37 AM

any Narnia books, too religious

Danielle Steel: Big Girl - so predictable, repeats itself and just poor writing.

Modelland by Tyra Banks

Crime and Punishment. Read first 400 pages, what a waste of my life.

• BatDuck likes this

I used to think it was impossible to gain weight. Then I lost weight. I'm still at my heaviest ever right now and have been for quite some time. (125 kg)

Diagnosed with undifferentiated sz, depression but over 10 years ago. Independently living since 2012. Soon 33 years old. One pet.

I have a set of dumbells, an exercise bike, jump rope, fitness boxing game, and a DVD of Pilates for Dummies.

I don't afford to order in fast food but I will smoke  a pack of cigarettes and get that bag of chips or less often than monthly ham&pineapple pizza with fries.

Food makes you fat. I am just bored.

#36 Aochan

Aochan

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNowhere remotely interesting

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:47 PM

Anything ever written by EL James and special hate mention for the Twilight saga

• BatDuck likes this

giphy.gif

"Fléctere si néqueo súperos Acheronta movebo"

- Virgil

#37 Rainbow 2.0

Rainbow 2.0

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1264 posts

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:10 PM

"North and South" by Mrs Gaskell was an unfavourite for me. I really wanted to like it bc it's about social justice, but there's just way too much tropey swooning and "tell don't show", and it somehow manages to be both dull and over the top.

At one point someone says to the heroine, "You are sadly overdone, Margaret," and I'm just pffffffff

If temptation storms, or you fall upon the rocks of tribulation, look to the star: Call upon Mary!

If you are tossed by the waves of pride or ambition, detraction or envy, look to the star, call upon Mary.
If anger or avarice or the desires of the flesh dash against the ship of your soul, turn your eyes to Mary.
If troubled by the enormity of your crimes, ashamed of your guilty conscience, terrified by dread of the judgment,
you begin to sink into the gulf of sadness or the abyss of despair, think of Mary.
In dangers, in anguish, in doubt, think of Mary, call upon Mary. - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

They/them • 42 • Vegan • Doing the 'bodyfat percentage instead of weight' thing

22.5% 22% 21.5% 21% 20.5% 20% 19.5% 19% 18.5% 18% 17.5% 17% 16.5% 16%

gallery_1227469_64903_161325.jpgI want a body like this... and I have exec dysfunction. Wish me luck!!

NEW Accountability

#38 BatDuck

BatDuck

• Accountability access
  • 14937 posts
  • Locationup my own ass

Posted 29 July 2021 - 09:59 AM

any Narnia books, too religious

Danielle Steel: Big Girl - so predictable, repeats itself and just poor writing.

Modelland by Tyra Banks

Crime and Punishment. Read first 400 pages, what a waste of my life.

Ngl I know a few people who almost exclusively read Danielle Steel, and I kinda judge them for it... Idk, her writing strikes me as YA fiction masquerading as adult literature if i could be any more pretentious...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users