Getting to a lower BMI while still functioning in society - Anorexia Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Getting to a lower BMI while still functioning in society

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 recoveryjustsucks

recoveryjustsucks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:21 PM

any tips for getting to BMI or 15 or lower while still being able to focus on school work? I've been stuck at 16, it's not really a plateau I just find when I eat any less its impossible for me to think about anything else

• lune_lagoon_memories16 likes this

#2 pastafreak

pastafreak

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13364 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 06:52 PM

High restriction is probably going to be your best friend
Calculate your TDEE if you don’t already know it and try eating like 250-500 calories below it. (So, for example, if your TDEE were 1,750, try eating around 1,250-1,500 calories.)
  • Purple2304, recoveryjustsucks, fiery and 2 others like this

#3 recoveryjustsucks

recoveryjustsucks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:45 PM

High restriction is probably going to be your best friend
Calculate your TDEE if you don’t already know it and try eating like 250-500 calories below it. (So, for example, if your TDEE were 1,750, try eating around 1,250-1,500 calories.)

how long would it take to lose weight high restricting like that? I would low restrict but people start asking questions when I start failing school

#4 pastafreak

pastafreak

Choose your own title! PM Admin or Bibs.

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13364 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:59 PM

how long would it take to lose weight high restricting like that? I would low restrict but people start asking questions when I start failing school

It's definitely slower than low restriction, but if high restriction allows you to continue to function in school, then it's probably worth it!

You can try using a weight loss calculator like this one or this one to get an idea of how long it would take to lose weight :)

#5 vomrexie69

vomrexie69

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:34 AM

yeah below 15/14 is a nope for me in terms of functioning. trying to work my way back up there bc i am 100% nonfunctional at this point... just reached my lowest today actually of 11.3 :(

#6 compulsivelydainty

compulsivelydainty

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1013 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 02:38 AM

eh i guess you should try to high restrict,eat healthy and nutritious foods,stay hydrated,take vitamins,get enough sleep,and dont put too much stress on your body by overexcercising or caffeine.

#7 Eufelchen

Eufelchen

Advanced Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:45 AM

Currently at BMI 15.1 with high restriction and functioning well. I have a TDEE of 2100-2400, so I can get away with eating more.
  • Purple2304 likes this

#8 Jae_123

Jae_123

Guru

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 04:53 AM

It's very difficult.  When I was at a low BMI I struggled to concentrate on anything, all I could think about was food.  I had to give my job up as I just couldn't focus enough to do the work.

Anorexia Nervosa
Bipolar Disorder

Current weight 61.2kg
Lowest weight 36.8kg (BMI 12.5)

71 70 69 68 67 66 65 64 63 62 61 60 59 58 57 56 55 54 53 52 51 50 49 48 47 46 45

#9 StillUnwritten

StillUnwritten

Advanced Sage

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1403 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 07:39 AM

It’s quite easy for me. I was as low as the 13s (headed back there now) and fulfilling all duties. I have an extremely high level career and have nor slipped at all while on the way down again either. I cannot afford to as I’m in a $400k+ a year job that just keeps getting better. I just do not allow my ‘food thoughts’ space in my head that could be better used for work. I have my safe snacks while working and that’s that and I leave it be in all other aspects until work is complete

#10 stuckinhosp

stuckinhosp

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 968 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 09:31 AM

It’s quite easy for me. I was as low as the 13s (headed back there now) and fulfilling all duties. I have an extremely high level career and have nor slipped at all while on the way down again either. I cannot afford to as I’m in a $400k+ a year job that just keeps getting better. I just do not allow my ‘food thoughts’ space in my head that could be better used for work. I have my safe snacks while working and that’s that and I leave it be in all other aspects until work is complete

I’m usually dying to know peoples diet secrets but I’m dying to know what job pays $400k besides being a celebrity!
  • D.n.A, prince jin and skinnydreams2212 like this

#11 whalingaround

whalingaround

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 11:00 AM

For me i guess will be having more fruits idk why. Prob the sugar helps esp when it comes to using my brain juice ><
  • recoveryjustsucks likes this

#12 chasing-rainbows

chasing-rainbows

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 01:55 PM

I'm in the BMI 14's and managing to function normally including looking after my young family. I literally have no choice but to function. I drink lots of fluids, take supplements (I over- rely on caffeine). I struggle to function only when completely fasting.

#13 recoveryjustsucks

recoveryjustsucks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 April 2021 - 08:57 PM

For me i guess will be having more fruits idk why. Prob the sugar helps esp when it comes to using my brain juice ><

thanks everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it, ill try high restricting for the next week and see how it goes

• whalingaround likes this

#14 Littlepurple

Littlepurple

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

I am currently at a BMI 14.7. I used to low restrict but I got stuck in this horrible binge restrict cycle that ruined my life. I was miserable and couldn’t focus at school and I basically was consumed by anxiety. Now I high restrict and although I’m still to scared to eat foods with unknown calories I once and awhile eat small portions of foods I’m craving as long as it fits under my cal limit which is 1000-1200. I’ve basically stopped binging but am still loosing weight and I can focus much better.

#15 Littlepurple

Littlepurple

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 April 2021 - 08:49 AM

I am currently at a BMI 14.7. I used to low restrict but I got stuck in this horrible binge restrict cycle that ruined my life. I was miserable and couldn’t focus at school and I basically was consumed by anxiety. Now I high restrict and although I’m still to scared to eat foods with unknown calories I once and awhile eat small portions of foods I’m craving as long as it fits under my cal limit which is 1000-1200. I’ve basically stopped binging but am still loosing weight and I can focus much better.

#16 Outlier

Outlier

Sage

• Accountability access
  • 1123 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 28 April 2021 - 09:24 AM

I also want to know what your career is. It seems like there aren't many high functioning anorexics.

#17 lindissimo_

lindissimo_

Advanced Member

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:31 PM

Maybe time the windows when you eat like with intermittent fasting. I feel marginally mentally sharper in a fasted state but being in ketosis does make optimize brain function.

I also want to know what your career is. It seems like there aren't many high functioning anorexics.

I'm going to guess something in tech or fin tech because that compensation is not at all uncommon in particular cities/companies. Otherwise some kind of executive or lab director at a big school.....or they're trolling lol

#18 Irreverent Parrot

Irreverent Parrot

Omniscient

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3273 posts
  • Locationsinging in the rain

Posted 16 September 2021 - 02:38 PM

There are good reasons why BMIs of circa 15 and below are considered immediate risk to life.  Bodies/brains are being damaged just trying to stay alive at that level of malnutrition, with no resources left if something comes along like an injury or illness.

People get lulled into a false sense of security because it can seem ok for a while, but all the time "silent" damage is accumulating, and eventually it shows up as one serious thing after another going badly wrong with your body/health, like a cascade failure.

You just cannot function at that level and not be dying, frankly, no matter if you're high restricting and supplementing everything.  It's too desperate. And be aware that although some people here may appear to be OK so far, for now, we never hear back from the many who died from this.  We know EDs have the highest mortality rates of all mental illness, right?  Many, many don't make it.

• ArmyPrincess, Mikahzy and NotatoHead like this

#19 2BeThinEnough

2BeThinEnough

Omniscient

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4488 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 September 2021 - 03:30 AM

I'll bite... me too because that is more than 25 X my broke non functioning ass

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
  • D.n.A likes this

#20 Dying2b3Th!n

Dying2b3Th!n

Advanced Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1909 posts

Posted 17 September 2021 - 04:29 AM

any tips for getting to BMI or 15 or lower while still being able to focus on school work? I've been stuck at 16, it's not really a plateau I just find when I eat any less its impossible for me to think about anything else

High restriction is best. Trust me i did the fastest way last time, and could barely function, dropped out of college twice because i couldnt study, and since some test are timed it was hard. My grades were suffeting the effects, because i was low restricting under 500 calories with fasting 3-4 days at a time. It will go slightly slower but not snail pace, that way you can actually function and pass. You wont regret it in the end.
Hw-165lbs lw-80lbs cw-144.2 lbs gw-105lbs when I was 17 years old hw- was 210 but I was just giving info on hw for this time around.
Thinness equals success, never give up, never give in!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users