Which makes you binge less? - BED Discussions - Forums and Community

About MPA

MPA is a site dedicated to the support or recovery of those suffering from eating disorders or body dysmorphic disorders. Please be sensitive to this fact when creating an account and contributing to the board.

Photo

Which makes you binge less?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Queen of fatness

Queen of fatness

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:20 PM

Which way of trying to lose weight is less likely to have you end up bingeing on thousands of cals of junky crap
Not eating at all/ fasting. Builds that deficit faster to help counteract binges but also quite likely leads me into the all or nothing never ending binge phase. But sometimes it seems easier to not binge by just not eating at all
Or Allowing myself to binge on low cal volumous food like carrots vegetables fruits. I can still get through loads of cals this way and I wonder if allowing the binge behaviour only makes me crave the binge behaviour more? Also when I do binge on fast foods and junk foods, the weight piles on me quicker as I’m not restricting much, if at all, as I’m still consuming plenty during ‘healthy’ binges.
Please do not suggest high restrict/ maintenance as that does not work at all for me. Ever. I can binge every single day on thousands of cals for literally years and never get the urge to stop. I’m a true binge eater. I do not believe my binge eating was caused by restriction because I binged long before I ever had the urge to restrict. It’s just out of sheer desperation to save my health that I began the cycle of alternating both.
  • doraemon likes this

#2 lilo trio

lilo trio

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 April 2021 - 08:51 PM

what goes through your mind before a binge? i think figuring that out would make it easier to manage rather than trying to avoid food altogether. is it from boredom, from feeling like certain foods are 'bad', etc?

• Queen of fatness likes this

520e28dfa42a723bf41a46a380c10a51bd4eaf13

L I N K S

accountability thread

B I N G E   F R E E

........................  0    d a y s  ........................

#3 doraemon

doraemon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 April 2021 - 02:57 AM

you sound a lot like me but i’m afraid the only way i’ve ever successfully managed my binging was by high restriction paired with a lot of exercise go provide the same deficit that low restriction would, plus some “healthy binges” when needed

#4 racecar

racecar

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Locationmentally, i'm skinny on a beach drinking margaritas

Posted 01 May 2021 - 06:01 PM

my best tip is to eat a high-protein, low-carb breakfast and/or lunch--this kills the binge urge that comes around dinner time, even if you restrict the rest of the day. you also could purge your binges but i strongly discourage it.
  • Queen of fatness likes this

god forbid I exercise a little...

#5 Skittles!

Skittles!

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Locationusa

Posted 01 May 2021 - 10:49 PM

my best tip is to eat a high-protein, low-carb breakfast and/or lunch--this kills the binge urge that comes around dinner time, even if you restrict the rest of the day. you also could purge your binges but i strongly discourage it.

Do you have any recommendations? I never know what to eat for breakfast 

#6 racecar

racecar

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Locationmentally, i'm skinny on a beach drinking margaritas

Posted 01 May 2021 - 11:01 PM

Do you have any recommendations? I never know what to eat for breakfast 

eggs, smoked salmon, greek yogurt, protein powder smoothies, nut butters, ezekiel bread, certain cereals

• Skittles! likes this

god forbid I exercise a little...

#7 Queen of fatness

Queen of fatness

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:47 AM

Thanks for your reply
My binges are at lunch. It’s like once I start eating I can’t stop. I rarely binge at night. I don’t eat dinner at all cause I always blow it at lunch. I eat oats with nuts and almond milk for breakfast. So not really high protein. I often have a protein shake mid morning around 10am the by 11-12 I hit the binge cycle and can’t stop.
I don’t purge. Sometimes I try to put exercise my binges but realistically I can’t ever actually exercise the amount I consume binge eating. I don’t eat eggs at all but might consider what I could add or change earlier in hope of it helping

#8 Queen of fatness

Queen of fatness

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:47 AM

what goes through your mind before a binge? i think figuring that out would make it easier to manage rather than trying to avoid food altogether. is it from boredom, from feeling like certain foods are 'bad', etc?

Nothing really. I just can’t stop eating once I start

#9 Queen of fatness

Queen of fatness

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:49 AM

you sound a lot like me but i’m afraid the only way i’ve ever successfully managed my binging was by high restriction paired with a lot of exercise go provide the same deficit that low restriction would, plus some “healthy binges” when needed

Thanks. Yeah that never works for me unfortunately. Even high restriction with no exercise does not work. Even maintenance cals does not stop me binge eating. I don’t believe I do it as a reaction to restriction as I binge ate for many years without ever restricting. I’m new to restricting

#10 LALAJAPAN

LALAJAPAN

Wildly Inappropriate Whore

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 11:24 PM

The answer for me is IF OMAD with all of your cravings included. So if I want chocolate I have something chocolate, spicy, crunchy. I have something with protein too, but I allow myself to indulge in all my cravings in one large meal at the end of the day. I get very full, I don’t feel the need to binge because I’ve allowed every craving and accounted for it, I don’t get hungry before or after, and I lose weight. My OMAD can be high volume and low calorie or high volume and around 1200 calories. It works very well for me. It also helps to have either a soup, salad, or shirataki noodles included. It’s a lot of food even if it’s low in calories and I won’t feel like I’m missing anything and I get to look forward to it all day. If I don’t exercise in golden.
Wildly inappropriate whore embarking on another long fast.

B491-F2-C6-422-E-41-DF-ACE0-663-EB53-F66

subsource-done-button-uid-99-B90044-B709

#11 tibiana

tibiana

Advanced Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 09 May 2021 - 01:58 PM

Could you fit chew and spit into your binge? I now it is disorded eating, but sometimes you might just wanna "chew" something or "taste" the food or texture, or just have the "right" to eat when and what you want. You could try and swallow the first 3 bites, then spit 3 .. What usually triggers binges for me is processed food. The more I eat it (chips, fries, sweets) the more I crave it. And our brain does not have satiety signals for processed foods (only natural/real foods), that's why we go on eating. There is so much salt and sugar in this food that you buy it again and again and the only ones benefitting are food companies while it makes people sick. Fructose and vegetable oils (all excl. olive)/transfats are a real devil also.

When in such a dark cycle, I look for voluminous healthy stuff - my fav big salad with lots of veggies, maybe chicken breasts and a little balsamico - and I eat this huge/bowl of salad so I'm fuller faster. I would eat that everyday, the same salad at the same time and after a while my body craves this salad. Try to vary it with a couple berries, grapes or pomegrenate seeds.

Also eat at least 130 gr. of proteins (eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, chicken breasts, cheese, low-fat cheese, fish, greek yoghurt) as this is the macro that keeps you full longer. Since I eat low carb (50% prot. +25% fat 25% carbs from veggies) binge episodes have become less and less. It takes some time so please keep trying even after a binge.

Try to skip breakfast and go as long as you can until the first meal of the day and if you can OMAD.

Hope this helps and I hope you find what works best for you.

Height: 5'5
SW: 145/65

CW: 125.9/57.1
GW2: 120/54
UGW: 110/49.9

#12 Queen of fatness

Queen of fatness

Warrior

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 01:18 AM

Could you fit chew and spit into your binge? I now it is disorded eating, but sometimes you might just wanna "chew" something or "taste" the food or texture, or just have the "right" to eat when and what you want. You could try and swallow the first 3 bites, then spit 3 .. What usually triggers binges for me is processed food. The more I eat it (chips, fries, sweets) the more I crave it. And our brain does not have satiety signals for processed foods (only natural/real foods), that's why we go on eating. There is so much salt and sugar in this food that you buy it again and again and the only ones benefitting are food companies while it makes people sick. Fructose and vegetable oils (all excl. olive)/transfats are a real devil also.

When in such a dark cycle, I look for voluminous healthy stuff - my fav big salad with lots of veggies, maybe chicken breasts and a little balsamico - and I eat this huge/bowl of salad so I'm fuller faster. I would eat that everyday, the same salad at the same time and after a while my body craves this salad. Try to vary it with a couple berries, grapes or pomegrenate seeds.

Also eat at least 130 gr. of proteins (eggs, egg whites, cottage cheese, chicken breasts, cheese, low-fat cheese, fish, greek yoghurt) as this is the macro that keeps you full longer. Since I eat low carb (50% prot. +25% fat 25% carbs from veggies) binge episodes have become less and less. It takes some time so please keep trying even after a binge.

Try to skip breakfast and go as long as you can until the first meal of the day and if you can OMAD.

Hope this helps and I hope you find what works best for you.

Thanks! I find protein so hard. I don’t eat eggs chicken or cottage cheese at all. I rarely eat meat. I do like fish/seafood and yogurt but all only occasionally. If I eat them everyday I get sick of them. Hate tofu. I live all fruits and veg, nuts, legumes. But I think I often fail to get basic protein levels and this just makes me more likely to binge. I do have one protein shake I like, have tried many, but it is dairy based and I’m intolerant so I can have the occasional one but again not everyday. I struggle to ever hit 50grm protein let alone 130 lol

#13 noturprincess

noturprincess

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1298 posts

Posted 25 May 2021 - 06:15 PM

I think cutting out processed foods really helps to regulate appetite. Eating very clean helps me to reset after overeating and actually lowers my cravings a lot and I notice that I'm able to go longer and longer stretches of time without wanting to eat when I mostly stick to whole foods.

Also, are you overweight currently? If so, your doctor may be able to help you out by prescribing weight loss medication and then monitoring you on it. I don't say this lightly as it has its risks but if it's properly monitored by a health professional then I think it's alright. Phentermine absolutely slays my appetite.

EDNOSOS 

#14 Sloane-Shanahan

Sloane-Shanahan

Sage

• Accountability access
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 26 May 2021 - 01:02 AM

I can tell you what seems to work better for me, but I'd be hesitant to recommend anything for another person.  I think we're all different and have various triggers and reasons for bingeing.

I've used both methods before, and a combination can work pretty well, say if I intermittent fast and only have one or two meals a day, and then fill up on super high volume, low calorie foods, but also include enough protein.  Fasting can reduce appetite over time, so those piles of vegetables will make you even more stuffed than usual.

I've also been known to use sugar-free hard candies and gum/mints when I just had to soothe an oral fixation, but lol can only use those in moderation as they xylitol and maltitol together can create extreme digestive upset.  Best done after a meal and not when you're actually hungry, as the sugar-free stuff can increase appetite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users